PDA

View Full Version : Mathematically declined

ShaunG
11-25-2013, 09:15 PM
OK. I just can't figured out the Calculator.

I'm doing a 5g batch. I'm using the D47(?) yeast, so my finishing gravity I would like to be about 1.011(medium sweetness?) and 14%.

I have 3lbs Blueberries for primary and 3lbs Blackberries+9lbs Blueberries for the Secondary.

How much honey do I need?

Funny story, I ordered 5lbs of honey and the guy brought me 5 gallons.
>SIGH<
Whaddya gonna do right? When life gives you Lemons.....get surgery so you can have Melons :)

Anyway, I'm a 20yr veteran of craft brewing, this is my 1st shot at Melomel.

Thanks in advance!

fatbloke
11-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Average of about 3lb in the gallon so just start with about 15lb and make it up to 5 gallons.

That'd give you about the 1.100/1.110 sort of area.

If its a 22/25litre bucket, there'd be space for the fruit.

D47 will work fine but IMO there's better yeasts for "reds" some are easy others are good but have caveats like RC-212 being a nutrient hog. D47 carries a caveat of needing to be fermented below 70F/21C.

Equally, it does depend on what type youre wanting to make....... with those base ingredients I presume a still mead......

Just remember, you may be the best beer maker on the planet, while there's parallels, mead isn't beer.......

And its not a bad suggestion to have a read of the newbee guide linked left. You'd likely be able to skim the basics with your beer experience but there's plenty of good knowledge there too, or just have a good search round for a bit more guidance or ideas.......

ShaunG
11-26-2013, 12:47 PM
OK, so I settled on 13.5lbs honey and 4g water (5g total volume) and I'll save the fruit for secondary.

Having said that I need to calculate the fruit contribution to the ABV. Ideally I'd like to have the residual sweetness come from the fruit and add just a touch of honey if needed.

At least, that's my thinking. That yeast tolerates up to 14%. I figured a 12.5% after fermenting the honey and another few points from the fruit?

I've got temp control (thermostat on chest freezer with a dehumidifier to keep things dry :) )

I'm off to read the "guide" next....

skunkboy
11-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Fruit will probably add less sugar than you expect, even if you break them up so that yeasts can try get at it all...

fatbloke
11-26-2013, 04:45 PM
It seems tbat you're still thinking like its beer......

Just ferment dry. Stabise and then rack onto the fruit. Let it steep for about a month, Then just use honey to back sweeten too taste.

If you wanted to back sweeten to a set level you can just test gravity after the fruit has extracted, tben add honey in small increments to tbe required level testing in between incremental additions.......

ShaunG
11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
OK, I'll relax and let it rock.

Looks like 1.105 4.5gallons and I went ahead and tossed 3lbs of blueberries in to bring it reasonably close to 5gallons total volume.

As soon as it cools to 70 I'll pitch it and call it a day.

Next week: Montmorency Melomel Mmmm

ShaunG
11-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Ok, so it appears they gave me Go Ferm Rehydration nutrient. Can this be used for Staggered Nutrient Additions?

I also have 1/2oz of diammonium phosphate....

fatbloke
11-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Ok, so it appears they gave me Go Ferm Rehydration nutrient. Can this be used for Staggered Nutrient Additions?

I also have 1/2oz of diammonium phosphate....
Have a search but I've got it in my head that goferm is similar to fermaid but it doesn't have the DAP part in it (DAP is, apparently, injurious to yeast in the very earliest stage of development).

So maybe if you can find an ingredient list for both goferm and fermaid, you could check and if tbeyre similar.

As you could just make a sort of home made fermaid by mixing the residual goferm after youve rehydrated the yeast i.e. goferm and DAP........

Medsen Fey
11-28-2013, 08:13 PM
While it is not the recommended use for GoFerm, I have used it as a nutrient like Fermaid O. The Fermaid O has a slightly higher nitrogen amount.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

ShaunG
11-29-2013, 10:00 AM
OK. So while not entirely detrimental things seem to have worked out; let me first say that I have LIMITED reading time, I read fast and I retain significant. That's what has got me thru life this far ;D everything I know about Mead I learned 48hrs prior to brew day.

I made a starter (I know; not needed but not bad when using dry yeast) with THREE packs of D47 and 5g GoFerm, .7l of water & 1c of Honey the evening before. Then I heated the honey & water to 160f for 30 minutes, cooled it to 120f and ran it into the fermenter. Waited for the temp to cool, aerated with O2. I had added some must to the starter to help reduce shock. I slightly mashed 3lbs Blueberries and added to the must in the fermenter and Pitched to the 1.05 OG must (13.5# honey + water for total volume of 4.5g). Had activity within an hour.

I ran to the Brew Store and added 5g FerMax with 3g DAP the next afternoon.
Fearing the possibility of a Blueberry Catastrophe I used a 1/2" ID blowoff tube, and have been getting a solid, steady bubble every second since then. I've also been vigorous about sloshing the contents hard to keep the fruit moist and yeast suspended.

I checked the gravity this morning and it's 1.042. I added 5g additional nutrient.

So. Still VERY sweet but no odd flavors.

I'm thinking about using blueberry concentrate to back sweeten instead of Honey.

Thoughts?

kudapucat
11-29-2013, 07:57 PM
You didn't need to heat the honey.
I only ever gently warm it if it has crystallised.

You can back sweeten with what you like, but it will taste like it's been back sweetened for a while.
By that I mean the flavours won't be blended nicely for a few months at least.

Taste it when it's done and think about which flavour you wish to emphasise.