PDA

View Full Version : boil and bubble, I have trouble.

Carr boy
11-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Hello,

I am super new, a baybee born. I used one 12oz can boysenberry (berry, sugar, water), 16 oz blackberry's washed to clean, 1lb wildflower honey, 1.5lb honey granules, 1 tspn yeast nutrient, and wine yeast. I am not sure if I can mention brands or names. I warmed both honey's for 20 min @ 170 degrees. I added the nutrient and berries to the water, then added the cooled honey water, and waited until the must was 75 degrees. Prehydrated yeast @ 108 degrees for 10 min and added to must. Co2 release started strong in first hour, 24 hours later put in 1 gal carboy 3 inches of space left to bottom of neck. Added stopper. Real good action and fermentation.

My worry is that the bubbles started a foam, I have seen Co2 foam before and at first it looked no different just purple. After a few days the foam bubbles kept collecting and did not dissipate. Finally I opened the top and stirred with a clean spoon and the foam was kind of chunky and fell to the bottom. It smells very good but the chunks have me worried. :confused: Please help this newbee!

Honeyhog
11-27-2013, 10:29 PM
All is well it is just yeast dropping off of the fruit or out of the foam. Wine yeast flocculates (clumps together) and precipitates out of the must as the fermentation proceeds.

Bee Serious
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, sounds like islands of yeast.

Check out this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

This thread shows what infections REALLY look like. It is morbidly fascinating.

MikeTheElder
11-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Mead making and welcome to GotMead.

Sounds like everything is going well.

That clumping is indeed totally normal, as is the foam.

Never used honey granules, please keep use informed how your mead is coming along.

WVMJack
11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
You have now started into a hobby most people cant understand as they think this is magic, let keep it that way :) You could have left your must in the original bucket for like a week to let it bubble away as violently as it wanted and so it would have been easy to stir it up a couple of times a day. Did you remove the berries? That could easily be the chunks floating and sinking, the yeast forms a CO2 bubble on the fruit pieces and it rises, releases the CO2 and sinks again, kind of like one of those old lava lamps. Be careful starring at it to long, its mesmerizing as are the little explosions coming up from the bottom of the carboy. I suggest you get a hydrometer so you can measure the progress of your fermentation because we already know your next question, is it done yet:):) WVMJ

Chevette Girl
11-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Great link, Bee Serious. Nothing like seeing photos!

fuelish
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah, sounds like islands of yeast.

Check out this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

This thread shows what infections REALLY look like. It is morbidly fascinating.

Ummmmm....wow.....just getting back into this "hobby," but I made I don't how many batches of beer and mead when we lived up north over 10 years or so....have never, ever had anything look like some of that stuff....and I'm only a few pages in to that thread.....gonna go spend some time grossing myself out reading the whole thing, with the benefit that it will only reinforce solid sanitary technique (which comes pretty easy for me, being a nurse, and all :) ) Ewwwwww

WVMJack
12-01-2013, 02:21 PM
If we only had smellnet! WVMJ

kudapucat
12-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds ok...
Just to confirm, you left out the following ingredients?

Fillet of a fenny snake,
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing