PDA

View Full Version : should I rack my mead into a different jug

MidwayMonster
11-29-2013, 03:42 PM
I have made a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. it's been about a month and a half. The mead is clearing a bit. Looking at the oranges and the raisins in kinda unsettling because it looks really gross. I really want to just rack it into another jug. Should I do this. I dont have a hydrometer (i will get one for this next batch). Is the fruit decomposing? It just doesn't feel right having fruit (seemingly) decompose in stuff I plan on drinking. (I know its not actually rotting i just get uneasy when I think about it). Has anyone had this issue before?

heathd666
11-29-2013, 05:00 PM
the recipe says no dont. im new as well so my advice may not be right btu the recipe says to not do anything to it. others may tell you different and they have waaaay more experienec at it than me. i started JAOM as well and am around 2 months into it the oranges have mostly dropped all except for a few. try searching a bit for the recipe. alot of others have asked similiar questions as well. i believe that between the yeast and the alcohol kills everything.

sincerely
heath delashmit

Fisk Jaegaren
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Leave it alone.

Follow recipe or get smacked with a racking cane

:blob8:

joemirando
11-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Between the yeast, alcohol and lack of free oxygen. When you sealed it up to ferment, the yeast grabbed all the free oxygen and used it to turn the sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide, which now permeates your mead and blankets it (the airspace should be CO2 now, not nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere). As long as its sealed with an airlock of some sort, you'll be fine. And yeah, the fruit can get to looking ratty, but unless you see things growing on it, don't worry.