• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ascorbic Acid

Barrel Char Wood Products

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hi,

I am looking to making a 1 gallon batch of cyser and was wondering if ascorbic acid is an okay ingredient in the apple juice I use or if it's a no-no.
Most apple juices have it.

Also, would you recommend apple juice or cider?

Thanks

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
afaik the yeast will deal with the ascorbic acid. an issue can come in if you use it for back sweetening and store it for a long time.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Ascobic acid is vitamin C. Often used as an anti-oxidant type preservative.

Its fine. The yeast doesnt worry about it, actually they like it.........

Preservatives to watch for are the usual sulphites, but more specifically sorbates and benzoates. They can't be removed/driven off easily.......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns