PDA

View Full Version : 1st Mead

OCorcain
12-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Hey i'm making my very 1st mead, using a recipe from a Charles Papazian book. Its for 4(us) gallons and states that I should use 40g of yeast, this seems alot and the people on my usual homebrew forum thought the same. Can you give me some advice im going to be using Lalvin EC-1118 5g sachets and I have some servomyces that i thought i would use.

fatbloke
12-03-2013, 08:06 AM
1 sachet is enough for 5 gallons so you should be fine.

Personally I don't like champagne yeasts and would have said you'd be better off with k1-v1116

bernardsmith
12-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey i'm making my very 1st mead, using a recipe from a Charles Papazian book. Its for 4(us) gallons and states that I should use 40g of yeast, this seems alot and the people on my usual homebrew forum thought the same. Can you give me some advice im going to be using Lalvin EC-1118 5g sachets and I have some servomyces that i thought i would use.

Hi. I don't claim to have ANY expertise in mead making - or in beer brewing but I understand that servomyces needs the must to be near boiling point to initiate its effectiveness. I cannot speak for the experts on this forum but my background in fruit wine making strongly suggests that boiling honey will destroy volatile flavor molecules and result in a more bland mead than the honey itself would have produced. If servomyces nutrient does not require very hot temperatures then please ignore this post, but if it does then you might want to consider using a different nutrient.

OCorcain
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
yes I believe servomyces does need to be boiled for last 10 mins of boil, however I have read that it is good for mead and that it can be boiled in some water and pitched with the yeast