• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

step feeding question...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Maatmes

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2013
Pass Christian,MS
As I understand you can push the tolerable ABV up by feeding the yeasties that have survived and can adjust the SG for a desired sweetness.

My question is can I lower the sweetness slightly by step feeding nutrient with no additional honey/sugar? Even a slight drop in SG seems to me to affect sweetness.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
You can stop fermentation by "cold crashing" and putting your mead in near freezing temps for a day or two. Add sulfites and sorbate to stop it as well. Lower th pH to 2.5 or so....fortify the mead with vodka or other spirit to increave alcohol beyond the toleraance level of the yeast. It just deppends on what you are trying to do.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
As I understand you can push the tolerable ABV up by feeding the yeasties that have survived and can adjust the SG for a desired sweetness.

My question is can I lower the sweetness slightly by step feeding nutrient with no additional honey/sugar? Even a slight drop in SG seems to me to affect sweetness.
I think you've missed the point a little.....

If you're wanting a dry mead, then its relatively easy. You'd just use a yeast that will consume all of the available sugars and with the appropriate level of nutrition. .....

Whereas with step feeding, surely the point is because you'd want to start lower so the ferment isn't stressed and is fermenting well (though often with the nutrition for the target intended final gravity), so when you add the step feeds so that the yeast will ferment the extra honey.

Of course you may then carry of to a final gravity to achieve a desired sweetness.

Maatmes

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2013
Pass Christian,MS
Whereas with step feeding, surely the point is because you'd want to start lower so the ferment isn't stressed and is fermenting well (though often with the nutrition for the target intended final gravity), so when you add the step feeds so that the yeast will ferment the extra honey.

Ahhh, I knew this but disconnected the point in my thinking it out. Thanks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns