PDA

View Full Version : Starting to ferment again?

smokepole
12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
cyser
Its been down to 1.0 for about a month.
It has been outside in 20f in a plastic carboy overnight(didnt freeze)
Its finally clear
its still1.0 and bubbles are starting to rise again.
Its been racked a few times and there is just a lite dusting of stuff on botttom
Lite dusting , can still see table under bottle

what kind of late activity am I getting?

smokepole
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
just in case
sg cider was 1.04
added gallon of honey to 5 gallons of cider sg wrote down around here somewhere

WVMJack
12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Could still be degassing, what yeast did you use and what was your original gravity? Probably a little cool for MLF? WVMJ

smokepole
12-05-2013, 09:46 PM
About 1.13, note still missing
empty pack of 1118 on table
current grav 1.
Thought I got rid of all that gas with the electric drill last month.
it is 68f in computer/mead room.

Chevette Girl
12-06-2013, 10:14 AM
If you're warming it up from near freezing, then it is likely just releasing gas, cold must can hold a lot more CO2 than warm must. And degassing usually takes a couple days of concerted effort for me :)

smokepole
12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Its been warming up for a couple weeks now.
Will let it gas away.

fatbloke
12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Its been warming up for a couple weeks now.
Will let it gas away.
Which might still mean it might be refermenting. If it got to 1.000 it might still creep down a bit further to 0.990 or so......

The warmth could be the catalyst that gives it a gentle shove to go further......

Medsen Fey
12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
If it hasn't been sulfited, it could be MLF.

Bee Serious
12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
If it hasn't been sulfited, it could be MLF.

MLF = Maple Leaf Foods, a Canadian food processing company, in case anyone was wondering. Right, Medsen?

Medsen Fey
12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
MLF = Maple Leaf Foods, a Canadian food processing company, in case anyone was wondering. Right, Medsen?

Gotta watch those Canucks! ;D
They can't leave well enough alone.

MLF - malolactic fermentation.

joemirando
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Gotta watch those Canucks! ;D
They can't leave well enough alone.

Oooooh, VERY punny. :D

MLF - malolactic fermentation.Okey dokey. Was wondering what that was about. I'm sure I'll forget it by the time I see it again.

Joe

Bee Serious
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I have to admit, this is the first year I have had meads come back to life or start degassing. Before that, I had no idea what people were talking about.

Now I get it. I feel dumb.

smokepole
12-07-2013, 02:19 PM
malolactic
read about that once, didnt understand it
should I stop it or let it continue?

Hmmmm down to .995

Medsen Fey
12-08-2013, 09:36 AM
With a gravity drop of that magnitude, it is probably just your yeast finishing the job.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

WVMJack
12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I am planning on putting some of our cysers through MLF, our wildling apples a little high in acid, we like tart apples and dont want to loose to much acidity. We went nuts and make a BOchet with striaght up crab apples, TA 1.8% about, diluted with some regular cider but MLF has got to come to our rescue. Have you tasted it and noticed any drop in how acidic it tastes, is it getting smoother? Is this to soon to ask? WVMJ

smokepole
12-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Have you tasted it and noticed any drop in how acidic it tastes, is it getting smoother? Is this to soon to ask? WVMJ

Smoother?
My nose doesnt work well, while everyone else gags on skunk I barely notice. My tasters seem to lag the rest of the world also.
I'm only going to claim dry, with a aftertaste. Similar to a double ipa beer.

Since I've just finished bottling 6 gallons , was thinking putting a gallon in frezzer till its half froze and tasting the liquid again.

smokepole
12-09-2013, 06:56 PM
that was a lousy experiment,
still aftertaste, apple taste stronger

smokepole
01-05-2014, 03:08 PM
It held at .995. Wasn't gassy (whipped it with cordless drill). Put it in plastic gallon bottles. Froze it solid. Thawed then poured it off the sediment and bottled it. Gave it away for Xmas.

Pulled a cork yesterday. Well actually only half pulled it before it flew out. Its not quite as carbonated as beer yet. But its developing some pressure. Have warned everyone to refrigerate it, and drink it soon.

Where d all that gas come from.????????

smokepole
07-11-2014, 07:13 PM
the more it carbonated the better I liked it. Small champagne type bubbles.
Now if I wanted to do this again on purpose, how would I?

All the bad bottles are gone now. B U R P

mannye
07-12-2014, 10:22 AM
You can prime the batch and bottle it in beer bottles. I used to use priming sugar (one cup corn sugar dissolved in one cup boiling water) for 5 gallons of beer. It should work for mead as well.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Chevette Girl
07-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I had a pretty good carb'd apple batch from the year before last. If you're going to carbonate it, it's best to decide this before you put the ingredients together. You want to make sure that you leave the yeast a bit of wiggle-room, ie, if the yeast you use only goes to 14%, don't try for a SG that's going to give you more than 12% when it's finished. Then let it ferment out until it's below 1.000, rack it, let it clear, rack it again, then prime it with 3/4 cup honey per gallon (mix some must into your honey before adding it to the batch or you'll be mixing for frigging ever), bottle it in beer bottles or champagne bottles (I use perrier water bottles when I run out of the others) and wait two weeks for it to carb up.

Bee Serious
07-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Just to reiterate what Chevette Girl said, you will have problems getting carbonation if the yeast is getting close to its alcohol tolerance. If you have maxed out the yeast, you can pitch a small amount of champagne yeast ( EC-1118 ) with the priming sugar at bottling, since it has a tolerance of 18%. Also if you can keep the bottles warm for a few weeks, that will help with the carbonation.