PDA

View Full Version : Mead-Beer

THawk
12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Looking to do something different this time.

Planning to do a "single malt JAOM". So named as I'm looking to use a strong honey (either buckwheat or carrot blossom, though probably the former) for this.

I'm brainstorming here, but how does one use malt extract and/or hops in making mead? I know it's been done before but I'm totally out of my element here and would appreciate any advice.

loveofrose
12-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm brainstorming here, but how does one use malt extract and/or hops in making mead? I know it's been done before but I'm totally out of my element here and would appreciate any advice.

Usually, you would add malt extract to water and boil for at least 30 minutes. In this mixture, you would add hops at whatever rate you desire. Boiling hops longer than 15 minutes yeilds pure bitterness while less than 15 minutes yeilds less bitterness and more flavor/aroma. General rule is low IBUs for mead, but it really depends on what you want. I don't have it now, but if you want, I could post an example recipe that is currently on my list.
It would be untested though!

fatbloke
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Isn't it just easier to search beer forums for a honey beer you like the sound of ???

Marshmallow Blue
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I made a really good honey ale, which was probably closer to a braggot, but I made it on a beer schedule. The recipe is here. The honey notes were definitely not subtle.

http://hivemindmead.blogspot.com/2013/06/honey-ale.html

loveofrose
12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I made a really good honey ale, which was probably closer to a braggot, but I made it on a beer schedule. The recipe is here. The honey notes were definitely not subtle.

http://hivemindmead.blogspot.com/2013/06/honey-ale.html

That is a braggot. You've already got the protocol, just tweak it the way you want it!

Chevette Girl
12-15-2013, 11:39 PM
I think I've fallen in love with Fuggles hops :) all kinds of flavour and aroma, no bitterness if you put it in after the boil...

Is this something you're planning to carbonate?

loveofrose
12-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I think I've fallen in love with Fuggles hops :) all kinds of flavour and aroma, no bitterness if you put it in after the boil...

Is this something you're planning to carbonate?

I also find Fuggles to be a favorite. Try Sterling and Perle as well. Together they are wonderful.