PDA

View Full Version : Bored with Waiting = JAOM

UKTony
12-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Yes, I got bored with waiting for my traditional to mature, so I've decided to knock up a batch of JAOM. My question is whether a dash of vanilla bean will add to the otherwise standard JAOM recipe? I'm a bit partial to vanilla, but I also accept it doesn't always work with everything.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Tony.

UKTony
12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention, I had a few pounds of Sourwood kicking around, will it be a waste to use this in a JAOM, should I just go and buy some generic blend?

fatbloke
12-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Well sour wood isnt one I can get but its supposed to make good meads by all account Tony,so iI'd likely not use it for a JAO.

I'd also say that if you haven't made JAO yet, try to make a benchmark batch or as close to the original recipe as you can. Then you could experiment with some vanilla extract or even just a quarter of a vanilla pod dropped in a bottle etc.

If you've got a fermenter big enough, a 3 or 5 gallon batch would give you enough bottles to drink/age/experiment etc i.e. JAO finishing sweet so maybe a couple with vanilla and maybe another 1 or 2 to replicate the Moniack findings - you should have about the right residual sugars so enough acid to drop the pH to the 2.6pH I measures or smaller increments and taste tests etc......

JAO should normally be ready as per the recipe in about 2 months as per the recipe (I always wait for the fruit to drop as it can be a bit of a bugger to rack as bread yeast lees are very fluffy and come back into suspension even when they think you've given them a sly look).

Get a few 1 gallon batches of different honeys or other recipes going too, it makes the waiting less painful :D joes quick grape mead is supposed to be good quite quickly too. Plus if you can get wyeast liquid smak pack locally loveofrose and a few others have been on about this BOMM recipe that uses the wyeast 1388 belgian ale yeast and is apparently quite drinkable in a month or so......

If I get my stuff checked through and bottle anything decent (in the next month or so) I'll pm you for an address (or is that a problem with the US postal regs).......

UKTony
12-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks FB (as always excellent advice).

So today I plan to head to the LBS and grab a 6 Gallon carboy (not happy with the headspace in my 6.5 that's maturing), and 3 x 1 Gallon Carboys. I'll get some supermarket honey for the 1 Gal JAOM. Use the Sourwood varietal for a 1 Gal traditional using that; and use the other 1 Gal, probably for a methglin or acerglin, not decided yet, but no idea what varietal I want to use for that yet (maybe a blend like Ocsaar uses with buckwheat for a heavy base and something light and airy on top of it)

Thanks again.

Tony.