• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bored with Waiting = JAOM

Barrel Char Wood Products

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Yes, I got bored with waiting for my traditional to mature, so I've decided to knock up a batch of JAOM. My question is whether a dash of vanilla bean will add to the otherwise standard JAOM recipe? I'm a bit partial to vanilla, but I also accept it doesn't always work with everything.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Tony.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
One other thing I forgot to mention, I had a few pounds of Sourwood kicking around, will it be a waste to use this in a JAOM, should I just go and buy some generic blend?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well sour wood isnt one I can get but its supposed to make good meads by all account Tony,so iI'd likely not use it for a JAO.

I'd also say that if you haven't made JAO yet, try to make a benchmark batch or as close to the original recipe as you can. Then you could experiment with some vanilla extract or even just a quarter of a vanilla pod dropped in a bottle etc.

If you've got a fermenter big enough, a 3 or 5 gallon batch would give you enough bottles to drink/age/experiment etc i.e. JAO finishing sweet so maybe a couple with vanilla and maybe another 1 or 2 to replicate the Moniack findings - you should have about the right residual sugars so enough acid to drop the pH to the 2.6pH I measures or smaller increments and taste tests etc......

JAO should normally be ready as per the recipe in about 2 months as per the recipe (I always wait for the fruit to drop as it can be a bit of a bugger to rack as bread yeast lees are very fluffy and come back into suspension even when they think you've given them a sly look).

Get a few 1 gallon batches of different honeys or other recipes going too, it makes the waiting less painful :D joes quick grape mead is supposed to be good quite quickly too. Plus if you can get wyeast liquid smak pack locally loveofrose and a few others have been on about this BOMM recipe that uses the wyeast 1388 belgian ale yeast and is apparently quite drinkable in a month or so......

If I get my stuff checked through and bottle anything decent (in the next month or so) I'll pm you for an address (or is that a problem with the US postal regs).......

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Thanks FB (as always excellent advice).

So today I plan to head to the LBS and grab a 6 Gallon carboy (not happy with the headspace in my 6.5 that's maturing), and 3 x 1 Gallon Carboys. I'll get some supermarket honey for the 1 Gal JAOM. Use the Sourwood varietal for a 1 Gal traditional using that; and use the other 1 Gal, probably for a methglin or acerglin, not decided yet, but no idea what varietal I want to use for that yet (maybe a blend like Ocsaar uses with buckwheat for a heavy base and something light and airy on top of it)

Thanks again.

Tony.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns