PDA

View Full Version : I got to meet a second Gotmeader face to face!

Chevette Girl
12-14-2013, 01:18 AM
I ran into AlphaGenetics tonight, he's been busy making beer and hasn't been around Gotmead lately but he recognized me by my armour and came up and introduced himself ;D

My sword goup was out at the theatre doing a sword and armour demonstration to promote the new Hobbit movie (we got staff prices at the concessions and free passes to a preview of the movie). He was there to see the movie...

Shmafty
12-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Awesome! It's always, well usually at least, fun to meet someone from online in real life!

I'm almost scared to ask what the staff prices for concessions are versus how much normal movie patrons pay...

bernardsmith
12-14-2013, 09:16 PM
It is a very small world, although Second Life makes it a little larger... but I'm curious about the movie itself. It's being panned around here. Is it worth taking my son to see? He's 13.

Fisk Jaegaren
12-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I've a few myself....TAKyser, Skunkboy, Tuumi, Vandal, Ken Schramm, some of the guys at B.Nektar and one or two others I know ....I forgot their screen names, sorry.

fatbloke
12-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Always good to put a face to a name.

I keep promising myself a month long tour of the US and make sure my phone has local roaming etc.

That way it'd be a brill experience just to meet up with a few faces IF they have the time.....

See the real US and not the one forced down our throats by the tourist authorities......

One day......one day :D

mannye
12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Always good to put a face to a name.

See the real US and not the one forced down our throats by the tourist authorities......

One day......one day :D

OK! I'll meet you in Jackson Heights, Queens.

fatbloke
12-15-2013, 12:25 PM
OK! I'll meet you in Jackson Heights, Queens.
Was thinking more of south central LA........

Chevette Girl
12-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, I definitely enjoyed the movie and so did everyone I went with, although one friend (not present that evening) thought the first one was so boring that the second wouldn't be worth the flat arse from sitting in a theatre so long. All I could think of for most of the first movie was, "I've been here before!!" (the scenery is very similar to the Lord of the Rings movies and also startlingly similar to what I spent hours running around getting lost in Lord of the Rings Online. Some of the scenes are just breathtaking, and Smaug was definitely worth the wait. There were a few directional/plot decisions my hubby and I didn't agree with, but then, all the Lord of the Rings movies had the same thing, good movies on their own, just don't compare them to the book ("WTF are elves doing in Helm's Deep?"). The warg chases in Hobbit 2 are more exciting than the nazgul chases in LOTR, in my opinion.

Staff pricing for a hotdog was two bucks, list price was six. I can't believe people pay fifteen bucks for a bag of popcorn, a fountain drink and a chocolate bar... frigging highway robbery and I won't pay it, that's more than the dang ticket!!

Akueck's been to my place... and two American Gotmeaders have been in Ottawa but we couldn't make the schedules work... That said, anyone else finding themself in Ottawa is welcome to PM me about dropping by for a drink and some chatting, I don't get out much myself except to even more remote places like Sudbury...

Honeyhog
12-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Staff pricing for a hotdog was two bucks, list price was six. I can't believe people pay fifteen bucks for a bag of popcorn, a fountain drink and a chocolate bar... frigging highway robbery and I won't pay it, that's more than the dang ticket!!
That's why I only buy a drink and smuggle in my own candy, not a huge popcorn fan anyways so no huge loss.

GntlKnigt1
12-15-2013, 05:46 PM
OMG! Its been ages since ive been to a movie but $6 for a hot dog? Well, did they sell both of them? Cant imagine anyone else buying them.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

TheAlchemist
12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
You might consider getting a passport...just sayin'

UKTony
12-15-2013, 08:47 PM
If anyone ever finds themselves in my area, I'm more than happy to say hi... assuming I'm not travelling myself for work.

T.

Fisk Jaegaren
12-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Was thinking more of south central LA........

Come to Michigan, I work in some of the deadliest neighborhoods of America. As a bonus, I can give you a tour of the ruins of detroit.

mannye
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Come to Miami Beach if you want to see real poverty. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/mypy2uza.jpg

I hear these guys had to REDUCE STAFF!! We are avoiding them so as not to cause any discomfort. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

UKTony
12-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Come to Miami Beach if you want to see real poverty.

I was in Fort Lauderdale recently on business, and thought about sending you a message, but it was only a quickie. Maybe next time.

T.

mannye
12-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm always up for a quicky. Next time let me know! I can always drive up to meet you with a bottle BOMM. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Chevette Girl
12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
As a bonus, I can give you a tour of the ruins of detroit.

I have friends here who watch the Detroit news as their reality TV...

mannye
12-16-2013, 10:18 PM
I think Detroit is getting a bum rap. Having worked in TV for over 24 years "if it bleeds it leads" isn't a joke. They distill the bad stuff going on and present it without even looking at the other side of the coin. Rather... they avoid the other side of the coin.

If Miami local news got out, no one would come here EVER.

Chevette Girl
12-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Whereas Ottawa really is pretty boring, all things said and done... I think we're up to number nine so far for 2013 as of late October? Toronto's in the mid-fifties?

2012 statistics (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadas-crime-rate-drops-with-homicides-at-46-year-low/article13416456/) say there were 543 homicides in Canada last year...

Fisk Jaegaren
12-17-2013, 12:27 AM
I think Detroit is getting a bum rap. Having worked in TV for over 24 years "if it bleeds it leads" isn't a joke. They distill the bad stuff going on and present it without even looking at the other side of the coin. Rather... they avoid the other side of the coin.

If Miami local news got out, no one would come here EVER.

I've worked in Detroit for the past 10 years. While the downtown and certain neighborhoods in it have their bright spots, the bad areas far outweigh the good. I am not bashing, simply stating the truth.

If anyone ever wants to meet me and see firsthand, I will give you a personal tour, good and bad and let you decide....then of course we go to Schramms or B. Nectar.

BTW some of my most cherished places in MI are in Detroit and I am on a volunteer group that put many hours into conservation of the Detroit River and connecting waterways and most recently the effort to re-establish Belle Isle as a premier state park for all to enjoy.

GntlKnigt1
12-17-2013, 06:00 AM
I really hope Detroit can make a recovery....and Motown comes back as a label....

mannye
12-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Whew! What a hijack! lol

Anyway...to get back on topic! It's always great to meet folks from online forums. I've had a few from my mopar forums and from audiokarma and I'm always amazed at how much we have in common considering most of us are from very diverse backgrounds.

The audio thing especially breeds "birds of a feather" Last person I met from the audiophile community freaked out when he saw my Plymouth Road Runner. It's a nice car, but not like "freak out" nice, but then he shows me a Road Runner tattoo!

So open invitation to all who want to visit Miami Beach this winter and warm up a bit. I'll have the BBQ ready with some steaks or pulled pork and plenty to drink! You can always cab it back to the hotel and I will pick you up the next morning to get the rental and a good Irish breakfast.

Chevette Girl
12-17-2013, 10:12 PM
The audio thing especially breeds "birds of a feather" Last person I met from the audiophile community freaked out when he saw my Plymouth Road Runner. It's a nice car, but not like "freak out" nice, but then he shows me a Road Runner tattoo!

LOL, you wouldn't believe the number of comments I get from random strangers about my 'vette... got waved at today, even... And a good number of Gotmeaders have owned or driven one...

So open invitation to all who want to visit Miami Beach this winter and warm up a bit. I'll have the BBQ ready with some steaks or pulled pork and plenty to drink! You can always cab it back to the hotel and I will pick you up the next morning to get the rental and a good Irish breakfast.

seriously thinking about that passport thing today, it was -33C this morning at work... but I'll have to come up with some way to rent a car and have it covered under insurance that doesn't cost me more than the rental, my insurance agent laughed at me when I asked if I could get comprehensive with the Beast...

mannye
12-17-2013, 10:58 PM
seriously thinking about that passport thing today, it was -33C this morning at work... but I'll have to come up with some way to rent a car and have it covered under insurance that doesn't cost me more than the rental, my insurance agent laughed at me when I asked if I could get comprehensive with the Beast...
[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's a collector car and you can get Grundy or Hagerty to insure it for something like $200 bucks a year full coverage. Just as long as you don't drive the wheels off it on a yearly basis... they are usually OK with 3 or 4K miles a year.

Second...if you have a major credit card, they cover the insurance on a rental car. Just decline all coverage. Call your card company (assuming you have one) and ask.

Third... GET DOWN HERE! It was 80F today and sunny.

skunkboy
12-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Well, if you do the passport thing and decide to stop in Ferndale to visit Schramms, lets us Michigan Trolls know :)

Chevette Girl
12-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, if you do the passport thing and decide to stop in Ferndale to visit Schramms, lets us Michigan Trolls know :)

Oh, I'll be very public about it, promise :)

First of all, it's a collector car and you can get Grundy or Hagerty to insure it for something like $200 bucks a year full coverage. Just as long as you don't drive the wheels off it on a yearly basis... they are usually OK with 3 or 4K miles a year.

Yeah, it's my daily driver and I put at least 500 km on it a week. No antique auto insurance for me. However, liability and basic whatever is still only around $700/year...

Second...if you have a major credit card, they cover the insurance on a rental car. Just decline all coverage. Call your card company (assuming you have one) and ask.

Neither of my cards currently have that although I know a few people who have cards that do, but I know they involve a yearly fee, I don't know if it comes free with any other card I could get. It was something I planned to investigate if I ever needed to rent a car again but it wouldn't be worth it until that happens.

mannye
12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I say then... ROAD TRIP!

fuelish
12-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Come to Michigan, I work in some of the deadliest neighborhoods of America. As a bonus, I can give you a tour of the ruins of detroit. I used to live up there, couple blocks west of Outer Drive and Warren , just south of Warren (that is, half a block south of the Detroit/Dearborn Hts border).....we got out when the gettin' was good, headed south to TN....I DON'T miss the snow :)

Marshmallow Blue
12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
I say then... ROAD TRIP!

And don't forget Boston!

We dont plow til' the snows done! And, I saw a rat eating some spit a few months ago. But that was Somerville actually.

joemirando
12-18-2013, 02:26 PM
And don't forget Boston!...

And if someone's comin' up the coast toward Beantown, I'm right on the way. ;)

TheAlchemist
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
I have friends here who watch the Detroit news as their reality TV...

Heh.

But seriously.
Get a passport.
Get one for your husband.
You know I believe in a gifting based economy...
Don't be surprised if I pick you both up for a Thursday Trivianight at Schramm's sometime this summer...I could use some Chateau Chevette...

TheAlchemist
12-18-2013, 10:26 PM
I really hope Detroit can make a recovery....and Motown comes back as a label....

Amen, Brother.
Especially the Motown...

TheAlchemist
12-18-2013, 10:29 PM

Bless you.
But I won't be making it to Miami this year...

TheAlchemist
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM

MI Trolls Beware.
If she gets a passport for herself and himself...I truly am threatening to make a road trip to Ottawa this summer to bring them to Schramm's for supper.

mannye
12-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Bless you.
But I won't be making it to Miami this year...

GOOD! Because Miami SUCKS.

Miami BEACH is where all the cool kids hang out. Ask Medsen...he'll tell ya.:D

kuri
12-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Just to put it out there, any time any of you guys are on a road trip and feel like making a brief side trip to Japan I'm open for having guests. A passport is a must, in that case, though.

mannye
12-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Just to put it out there, any time any of you guys are on a road trip and feel like making a brief side trip to Japan I'm open for having guests. A passport is a must, in that case, though.

I better get one of these then:

http://www.amphicar.com/members/pshedal.jpg

GntlKnigt1
12-20-2013, 12:29 PM
I have some passport must.... a metheglyn, actually. Smirk

Marshmallow Blue
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
I have some passport must.... a metheglyn, actually. Smirk

In that case a bochet will have to do.

mannye
12-20-2013, 02:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwjGeB8RQggUlDFuLTjsAg1rOnwU-Xp3T3VD7-4VPIKQnlt2Y18fsJMS1U

Got my passport ready...

Chevette Girl
12-21-2013, 12:21 AM
MI Trolls Beware.
If she gets a passport for herself and himself...I truly am threatening to make a road trip to Ottawa this summer to bring them to Schramm's for supper.

That would be rather a lot of driving for a meal :) And I'd need enough warning to clear off the mead counter so you can have free run through the wine cellar... there would need to be a lot of Chateau Chevette to repay a favour like that! I'll talk to the hubby...

Chevette Girl
12-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Oh, and in other news, Psychopomp23 studies Kendo and hangs out with the crowd I know from Iaido, we hope to run into each other at a mutual friend's party this summer if we can't swing it before that!

kudapucat
12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
LOL, you wouldn't believe the number of comments I get from random strangers about my 'vette... got waved at today, even... And a good number of Gotmeaders have owned or driven one...

It's 30°C in the POSITIVE here today.
Come on down, I have a spare car with full comprehensive insurance. I'll just ask you to pay the ridiculous $1.50 per litre of fuel you use ;-)

You could probably organise a stop-over to see Kuri on the way...

mannye
12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Jesus...that's -27 degrees F! Holy F!

It was was 84F (29C) here today on the beach... brrrrrrr Winter sure is hitting hard.

TheAlchemist
12-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Oh, and in other news, Psychopomp23 studies Kendo and hangs out with the crowd I know from Iaido, we hope to run into each other at a mutual friend's party this summer if we can't swing it before that!

Please greet Psychopomp on my behalf...I love the moniker...

TheAlchemist
12-23-2013, 09:56 PM
That would be rather a lot of driving for a meal :) And I'd need enough warning to clear off the mead counter so you can have free run through the wine cellar... there would need to be a lot of Chateau Chevette to repay a favour like that! I'll talk to the hubby...

A. I love to drive
B. A Prius gets astounding mileage in the summer
C. Get a Passport. And one for the Hubby.

Chevette Girl
12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
It's 30°C in the POSITIVE here today.
Come on down, I have a spare car with full comprehensive insurance. I'll just ask you to pay the ridiculous $1.50 per litre of fuel you use ;-)

You might make the Americans' eyes bulge at that, but I'm already paying $1.30 per litre most of the time here (that's almost $5/gallon) and I think we did have it as high as $1.50 a few years ago when things got really crazy...

Chevette Girl
12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
A. I love to drive
B. A Prius gets astounding mileage in the summer
C. Get a Passport. And one for the Hubby.

I've already suggested it. Apparently for a little bit extra you can get one that's good for ten years.

Will a large man fit in a Prius? He can't even sit up straight in my mom's CRV...

kuri
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Will a large man fit in a Prius? He can't even sit up straight in my mom's CRV...

I can't guarantee it, but I'm 6'2" and fit pretty well in one, at least in the front seat. Living in Japan that was a real challenge when looking for a car. I found many that I fit in, but in some of them (can't tell you whether this included the Prius since they didn't have any used ones to sell) it would be impossible for anyone over the age of 1 to sit behind me. Surprisingly, the Honda Civic was one that I could drive with the seat all the way back and still have an adult behind me without their being too uncomfortable, and most higher end models weren't like that.

mannye
12-31-2013, 01:24 PM
I can't guarantee it, but I'm 6'2" and fit pretty well in one, at least in the front seat. Living in Japan that was a real challenge when looking for a car. I found many that I fit in, but in some of them (can't tell you whether this included the Prius since they didn't have any used ones to sell) it would be impossible for anyone over the age of 1 to sit behind me. Surprisingly, the Honda Civic was one that I could drive with the seat all the way back and still have an adult behind me without their being too uncomfortable, and most higher end models weren't like that.

How long did it take to get used to being head and shoulders above the crowd? I can't wait to go the Japan. Absolutely love the food, culture, design and the people! Maybe in 2015!

Chevette Girl
01-01-2014, 08:39 AM

My hubby's really long in the body, his head's 8" higher than mine when we sit even though he's only 6" taller when we stand... even in most full-sized cars, he has to skootch down or his head hits the headliner. Maybe a Smart car would work, they're very tall... but I don't know anyone with one anymore :p He seriously looks like a circus bear getting in and out of a VW Beetle when he's folding himself up into my Chevette :) The last Civic we were in was an early 90's model so they may have changed since then, but he got leg cramps from driving it longer than an hour and the seats were so close together we kept elbowing each other all trip (he's wide too)... The Prius experiment should be entertaining... he's not terribly cramped in a Corolla, at least.

I'm told that for a litttle extra, we can get a 10 year passport... my parents in-law were telling us they were being optimistic, getting the 10 year ones when they're both in their 70's ;D

kuri
01-01-2014, 10:55 AM
How long did it take to get used to being head and shoulders above the crowd? I can't wait to go the Japan. Absolutely love the food, culture, design and the people! Maybe in 2015!

Just a year or two, though it took a few years longer to stop hitting my head on low doorways. Train doors were particularly dangerous since they're about 2 inches too low for my head. Now I feel like I'm close to the average height of everyone else here, and also like I've entered the land of the giants whenever I go back to the states. It's amazing how your perception can change over time.

CG, I can't vouch for the width of the Prius -- I don't know anyone in Japan with width problems, but that's because people in general are so thin here. (I feel like about the average there too, though I'm clearly well beyond that at close to 200 pounds.) Also I wouldn't be at all surprised if US / Canadian models are different from Japanese models with the same name because of the difference in sizes of the general population.

kudapucat
01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
AFAIK the prius is a slightly modified corolla hatch body. If he's OK in a corolla he should be fine in a prius.

TheAlchemist
01-01-2014, 11:05 PM
I've already suggested it. Apparently for a little bit extra you can get one that's good for ten years.

A. Definitely go for the 10 year passport!
B. I hadn't looked at the map before making the offer...a round trip Ottawa to Ferndale DOES rather seem like it would be a big deal...but I'm still seriously considering it...entertaining the logistics...

mannye
01-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Heck just leave enough time for an extended bottling/sampling/recovery from said sampling and then head out!

Any long weekend together with one day off from work should do just fine.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

antonioh
01-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Well, well folks, I see you donīt hear much of Bob Dylan...

He recommends Portugal , where :

" ...I like to spend sometime in...", and "... the sunny sky is aqua blue...".

Nothing of cold weather or extreme hot. Nice clima, good and unexpensive food and Porto wine, plenty of history and wonderful landscapes.

Chevette Girl
01-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Baby steps here... I've never been out of Canada even on wheels, I'm pretty sure for me, visiting Portugal involves air travel of some sort :) Maybe someday. But I still have half of Canada to see, I've only been to the East coast.

TheAlchemist
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
It's a good time of year for writing "Bucket Lists" and crossing things off of them! Just sayin'.

Chevette Girl
01-02-2014, 11:00 PM
I need a new list, I already completed my last one... horse, car, house, husband, see Iron Maiden in concert, see Alice Cooper up close... but passport and new bucket list are going to have to wait until I get a few health issues resolved... my body apparently hates me again. >:(

mannye
01-03-2014, 01:20 AM
I need a new list, I already completed my last one... horse, car, house, husband, see Iron Maiden in concert, see Alice Cooper up close... but passport and new bucket list are going to have to wait until I get a few health issues resolved... my body apparently hates me again. >:(

It's mad at you for not drinking enough of the mead you make! Seriously though... feel better soon!

joemirando
01-03-2014, 01:48 AM

Damn. It's that time of year, unfortunately. Hang in there.

Chevette Girl
01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys, but I can't even drink to drown my sorrows, I'm on anti-inflammatories and I like my kidneys so the doc said no alcohol :p

GntlKnigt1
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Boo! Hate that when it happens. Get well soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

fatbloke
01-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Baby steps here... I've never been out of Canada even on wheels, I'm pretty sure for me, visiting Portugal involves air travel of some sort :) Maybe someday. But I still have half of Canada to see, I've only been to the East coast.
That's a "yes", unless you're a bloody good swimmer ;D

fatbloke
01-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys, but I can't even drink to drown my sorrows, I'm on anti-inflammatories and I like my kidneys so the doc said no alcohol :p
Nice...........NOT!

antonioh
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
The summer is coming and also the honey crop, the hollydays and the seaside.

I think itīs good to spend some time in Portugal... where the sunny sky is acqua blue... itīs very nice to stay a week or two.

And then, with all the drums full with honey, we can begin dealing with mead.

GntlKnigt1
06-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Sounds great. Would love to see Portugal

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

TheAlchemist
12-30-2016, 06:21 PM
You might consider getting a passport...just sayin'

Thrilled that you are, CG!