PDA

View Full Version : Barrel question

redsox1
12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Hello all, got my first post and question here for ya. I am receiving a freshly dumped Rye bourbon barrel, and was wondering if i could do a primary fermentation in it. My original plan was to do the primary in a seperate vessel, then transfer to the barrel for a bit of aging. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

fatbloke
12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Yuz could do either, but it depends on the barrel size don't it......

Industry standard is like 225 litres and that is one big batch.......

Plus its a spirit barrel so while the whiskey would have sapped a lot from the inner surface wood and burn, I'd bet theres plenty of oomph left for a mead......

mannye
12-16-2013, 07:36 PM
The influence the barrel will exert on whatever you put in it is inversely related to the size. Smaller=faster. Something about surface area relative to quantity of liquid.

I can tell you that I recently had a bottle of beer aged in old bourbon barrels and absolutely loved it.

loveofrose
12-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I would go with the original plan. Mead is very easy to over oak. After which, it can take forever to age out. American oak tends to provide a lot of vanilla flavors upfront, but quickly switches over to a more dominate bourbon flavor. Taste often and bottle when you are happy with the flavor.

GntlKnigt1
12-17-2013, 04:28 AM
I don't really know much about barrels, but wouldn't it be difficult to clean yeast out of charred wood in between batches? and, if you WERE able to somehow remove or kill the yeast, wouldn't that also remove the flavor that would be imparted by the char/oak/bourbon?

Having said that, I wish I had redsox1's problem....in a manageable size, of course.

redsox1
12-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! It is a ten gallon barrel, so having more surface contact makes sence. i will probably go with the original idea as well.

mannye
12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! It is a ten gallon barrel, so having more surface contact makes sence. i will probably go with the original idea as well.

That's the best idea! Racking the mead twice or thrice beforehand (or filtering) would be the best way to keep the barrel viable for a longer time.

Marshmallow Blue
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
That's the best idea! Racking the mead twice or thrice beforehand (or filtering) would be the best way to keep the barrel viable for a longer time.

That and keeping it full of mead.

Edit: and after it's dead, you better sour that beast.

mannye
12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
That and keeping it full of mead.

Edit: and after it's dead, you better sour that beast.

Do you mean make a sour beer? If that's what you mean then yessssss!

Marshmallow Blue
12-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you mean make a sour beer? If that's what you mean then yessssss!

Mead or Beer, but yeah, make a bunch of sours.

mannye
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Nice! I'm in for tasting!

redsox1
05-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Just a quick update, i have had a black current/ black berry mead in the barrel now for about 3 months this is the secondary. I have been topping it off with a cranberry mead that is approx 3 months old. the tannans and barrel notes are getting nice!