PDA

View Full Version : bad idea

Amazer
12-30-2013, 09:44 PM
to shake a full 6 gallon carboy during active fermentation. i was able to hold the stopper on and get my son to wrap a towel around my rubber gloved hands. i gently released pressure until it blew off. not a big mess thanks to the towel. :D its safe to say that one is degassed.

WVMJack
12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
We all have to experience it at least once, some of us it takes a few times to get it :) WVMJ

skunkboy
12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
At least you had extra hands around, most of us do this by ourselves :)

Wolfie
12-31-2013, 05:04 AM
yep. :D

Thanks for the laughs, I always love a good mead-splosion story.

fatbloke
12-31-2013, 05:10 AM
which is how some learn about using lees stirring/de-gassing spinner/drill mounted/paint stirring (new and sanitised of course)/vacuum pumping/thingummyjigs.........

Lots of ways of doing that. If it's a carboy, especially if it's pretty full, you learn (if using something that spins/rotates) to start slow, speeding up, so that the gas doesn't try and cause an eruption. If it comes out slowly and you're within the first 1/3rd sugar break, you'll also have to keep on to get some air/O2 into the batch, as that's the prime reason for aeration at this stage - it's just a side bonus that it nucleates out the carbonic acid/dissolved CO2......

A gentle twice daily stir is likely easier........;D

antonioh
12-31-2013, 05:38 AM
Itīs not quite so amusing, at least for the ones involved !

About two month ago, I was doing a bucket of 50 litres , that I am planning to "concentrate vapours by heat".

At the third day of fermentation, I decided to mix and aerate, and as it was a big volume, I got a drill with a mixer attached.

The damned thing began to came up, up, up, and out the bucket. About 10 litres on the floor of the kitchem, UNDER the refrigerator and the furniture.
It was a big mess, very hard to clean that sticky thing. Fortunately my wife was out at the moment... Not very funny, at least at that moment...

kuri
12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Itīs not quite so amusing, at least for the ones involved !

It will be, it will be. Like mead, these things get better with time.

mannye
12-31-2013, 01:13 PM
It will be, it will be. Like mead, these things get better with time.

Especially in 5 years when the aroma under the fridge smells suspiciously similar to that batch of mead. :D

Chevette Girl
01-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Especially in 5 years when the aroma under the fridge smells suspiciously similar to that batch of mead. :D

I'm pretty sure when we moved the freezers around two years ago, there was still mead residue under where the small one was in the kitchen from my first MEA at least five years previous...

Robusto
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Bad idea? Yup... especially if you are using a glass carboy.