PDA

View Full Version : What would you name it and other ?s

pokerfacepablo
01-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Hadn't been to a Renaissance Festival in decades until this year. Had a taste of the Egyptian mead from J Bird Winery. Located in Stanchfield MN, it is one of two places to purchase local mead. The only other I found is in Detroit Lakes. Please speak up if you know of any more. Anyhoo, there is no Egyptian style listed in wikipedia or this website. It's made with Hibiscus and lemon juice. Would it then be called a Metheglin???

Never worked with tea before. I was going to make a 3 gallon batch of traditional and then add Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger and lemon juice. On average, how many individual packets of tea do you add to a gallon?... without me having to sip each time to get it right... Looks like I answered my own question.

Has anyone made a better Egyptian? Please send me the link.

mannye
01-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Hadn't been to a Renaissance Festival in decades until this year. Had a taste of the Egyptian mead from J Bird Winery. Located in Stanchfield MN, it is one of two places to purchase local mead. The only other I found is in Detroit Lakes. Please speak up if you know of any more. Anyhoo, there is no Egyptian style listed in wikipedia or this website. It's made with Hibiscus and lemon juice. Would it then be called a Metheglin???

Never worked with tea before. I was going to make a 3 gallon batch of traditional and then add Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger and lemon juice. On average, how many individual packets of tea do you add to a gallon?... without me having to sip each time to get it right... Looks like I answered my own question.

Has anyone made a better Egyptian? Please send me the link.

MEADA PHARAOH? AGNAmelomel?

pokerfacepablo
01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
MEADA PHARAOH? AGNAmelomel?

:D Stay classy Ancient Egypt!

fatbloke
01-04-2014, 01:40 AM
Seen mention of others using those red zinger things. Are they actually tea bags with actual tea in them ? And not just herb/spice and fruit stuff for a "herbal infusion" type drink ?

mannye
01-04-2014, 02:32 AM
Seen mention of others using those red zinger things. Are they actually tea bags with actual tea in them ? And not just herb/spice and fruit stuff for a "herbal infusion" type drink ?

Ingredients
Hibiscus, Rosehips, Peppermint. Lemon Grass, Orange Peel, Natural Flavors, Lemon Myrtle, Licorice and Wild Cherry Bark.

So yeah...hippie juice. Peace man. :p

pokerfacepablo
01-04-2014, 06:38 AM

Says herbal tea on the box.... Im sure an herb/spice infusion. Mannye has it spelled out.

TheAlchemist
01-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Nefertititea?

pokerfacepablo
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Good one Alchemist:D

I'm actually bringing this one to life now. Got a traditional going as we speak. I'll add the tea and lemon juice into the secondary... just the slow wait.

Kansas Mead
02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
How long are you going to infusion the tea in the mead?

pokerfacepablo
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
It's tea packets... I wouldn't imagine that it take long to infuse at all. But Im gonna end up leaving in the mead anyway until Im ready to transfer or bottle.

GntlKnigt1
02-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Too Tuts, Common? Sphinx Stinks? Valley of the Kings Things? Still like Alchemists best so far.....

mannye
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
x2 for Alchemist!

GntlKnigt1
02-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Nile Bile? Mummy's Pyramid Juice?

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
02-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Mummy's Pyramid Juice?

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

HAHAHAHAH Mummy's Pyramid Juice! That's so dirty! I love it! New favorite! ;D

bernardsmith
02-27-2014, 09:29 PM

Whoa Nelly! My Chambers dictionary (published in Edinburgh) defines tea as "the leaves of any plant infused as a beverage", so a tea does not in fact need to be made from boiled tea leaves...

pokerfacepablo
02-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Gntknigt1, you're on a roll :)

kudapucat
02-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Bernard is correct. Just as hops became commonplace as the only thing to make beer with, so too Ceylon became commonplace, and then all tea was assumed to be Ceylon, and thus the name changed.
I believe it used to be called cha before it morphed into tea.
How we have to specify it as 'herbal' tea, 'peppermint tea'
Just like wine means 'from grape' so we have to say 'honey wine' or 'apricot wine'

GntlKnigt1
02-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Cleopatra's Asp Elixir? Sigh Nigh Fly? Suez Potion number 9 ?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

pokerfacepablo
03-19-2014, 12:39 AM
And the winner goes to ....

Nefertititea it is and here's a photo.

http://i.imgur.com/cBuU1v4.jpg?1

Medsen Fey
03-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Darn!
I'm too late to suggest PYRAMEAD as a name.

It looks great and I love red zinger tea. If you get it balanced it should be delicious.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

pokerfacepablo
03-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Love it. Yeah haven't had a taste yet but going to be very cautious with the lemon juice addition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

pokerfacepablo
04-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Never made a sparkling mead or anything carbonated before but something tells me that this is the one. Took the carboy out of the fridge and already began adding the lemon juice to taste. One cup seems to be to my liking. I'm feeling inpatient since its been over a month in the fridge and hardly any change in clarity. Usually I see a noticeable change by then. No Bentonite for now but instead sparkolloid sparingly. Come next Friday night I'll transfer to the bottling bucket and add the priming sugar. We will see how well the clearing agent works.

Im a little concerned with the degassing since it looks like carbonation... maybe the lemon juice addition (additional sugars). It had finished fermentation before the lemon juice addition. I'll recheck the SG at the end of the week before adding the priming. OG 1.12 and SG before the lemon juice was 1.000 on the mark. D47.

I was going to add another pack of yeast in couple of days just in case the cold shocking would have eliminated the yeast.

With the carbonation addition... let's call this batch Nefertitea with Pearls.

pokerfacepablo
04-04-2014, 11:49 PM
I bought beer bottles and capping equipment in prep for next week. I wanted to put some of the batch into smaller bottles (cheaters) to give away to the masses. The sales clerk said that I could use these bottles and be safe. They have the lip to place a cap on them... not sure if the bottle will break though. I've used these cheaters for wine but I don't know if they can withstand the pressure of carbonation. Has anyone used these bottles for carbonation? I have a bunch laying around otherwise I'll just stick with the beer bottles I bought.
http://i.imgur.com/43wr72Y.jpg?1

pokerfacepablo
04-05-2014, 06:35 AM
I just learned tonight that these aren't called cheater bottles but besides the point. Can I use them for carbonation? Obviously, I don't brew beer and need a little help.

pokerfacepablo
04-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Found my answer on youtube in search for how to carbonate. These 187ml "champagne" bottles are safe to carbonate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXJu3f5DzU

kudapucat
04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
They look like beer bottles, so should handle beer carbonation. Champagne bottles will hold more though.
Champagne will be safer when you're starting out, in case you accidentally over carb or double dose a batch.

smertz001
04-09-2014, 02:18 PM
I use those 187ml champagne bottles myself for my carbonated meads. I carb up to about 5.5 volumes with no problems at all.

pokerfacepablo
04-09-2014, 07:47 PM
They look like beer bottles, so should handle beer carbonation. Champagne bottles will hold more though.
Champagne will be safer when you're starting out, in case you accidentally over carb or double dose a batch.

Yeah the hobby store clerk mentioned that most bottles like these that have a lip are able to handle beer carbonation... I wasn't too sure that she knew enough about brewing. Thanks for confirming.

pokerfacepablo
04-09-2014, 07:50 PM
I use those 187ml champagne bottles myself for my carbonated meads. I carb up to about 5.5 volumes with no problems at all.

Is 5.5 like beer carbonation? What volume is champagne typically? Not that I'm gonna riddle and disgorge these tiny bottles. Curious though.

Medsen Fey
04-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Beer is typically 2-3 volumes. Champagnes run 4-6.

pokerfacepablo
04-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Definitely cleared up and I could see straight through the carboy so I decided to bottle today.

Whoooaa! Definitely tastes like Zinger and mead:) I put in my 3 oz of Brewer's Best priming sugar... just shy of 2/3 cup. Bottled seventeen 187ml bottles and 9 one liter bottles. See you in two weeks.

http://i.imgur.com/goWErSs.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/vlrjtr1.jpg?1

mannye
04-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Looks super nice! Can't wait to hear about the final product. By the way, I forgot to congratulate you for not being eaten by spiders in Costa Rica... (I'm hoping it was you that went AND that it was Costa Rica...lol...weeeeee more mead please!)

pokerfacepablo
04-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Hahaha... absolutely no spiders or poisonous centipedes. In fact, the only annoying pest were the mosquitoes that would wait until I fell asleep. Wake up with half a dozen welts on my body. When I got to the beach, I had my eyes fixated on the ground due the paranoia of scorpions... no sightings.

PS. Speaking of Costa Rica, thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna bring on of my bottles from Costa Rica Meadery to my family's Easter brunch. Nothing like a little passion fruit mead to pair with an Easter ham.

Looks super nice! Can't wait to hear about the final product. By the way, I forgot to congratulate you for not being eaten by spiders in Costa Rica... (I'm hoping it was you that went AND that it was Costa Rica...lol...weeeeee more mead please!)

pokerfacepablo
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Typically how long does it take to carbonate fully? I opened one of the bottles last weekend and noticed a hiss sound followed by a few bubbles. Pretty weak on the carbonation. It had been a little over a week since I bottled. Taste had been a little off, flat and small taste of bitter that had not been there before... maybe a little bit of bottle shock.

Medsen Fey
04-30-2014, 05:55 AM
If you are near the ABV tolerance of the yeast it can take a month or two to carbonate.

In this case, if you started at 1.120 and finished at 1.000 you may be at an ABV level that will prevent D47 from being able to carbonate this.

pokerfacepablo
04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
If you are near the ABV tolerance of the yeast it can take a month or two to carbonate.

In this case, if you started at 1.120 and finished at 1.000 you may be at an ABV level that will prevent D47 from being able to carbonate this.

Guess all I can do is wait. Thanks for the reply Medsen. Another ?... Should I put it in back into the fermenting fridge right below 70 degrees since I used D47 or will it have no affect on the taste with the priming sugar? Is there a chance for off tastes letting it be above 70?

Medsen Fey
04-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Keeping it above 70 may help it carbonate. It won't create significant fusels at this stage.