• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Fermenting too Fast???

Barrel Char Wood Products

reese27k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2014
Hello everyone. I started my first batch of mead yesterday. I only did a gallon for my first time. I used 3 lbs of pure honey which I got at a local health food store. Not sure which type of honey it is. I sanitized everything with Star San. I added the honey, yeast energizer, and yeast nutrient to the water and shook the hell out of it. Then I added about half a packet of yeast (Lalvin ec-1118) to a couple oz of warm water (just over 100 degrees f) for about 5 min and added it to the mix and shook the hell out of it again. I put on the airlock and put it in my closet wrapped in a blanket. I noticed the airlock started to bubble about once every 10 seconds immediately. I went to bed and checked it this morning and it's bubbling like crazy. I can see everything bubbling at a nice pace in the glass jug as well. Is this normal for it to start fermenting this fast? I though it would take at least a day. Is this maybe because of the yeast energizer or nutrient? I followed the instructions and measurements on the bottles. Do you think it could stop fermenting too soon? Thanks in advance for any help.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
So how do you know its fermenting too fast ?

How do you know that you haven't just created the right conditions and balanced environment for the yeast so its showing you its happy and not stressed by giving you bubbles ?

If it seems to be doing what its supposed to do, why do you suspect a problem ?

Did you take a starting gravity ? Have you measured it to learn how low its got since you pitched yeast ?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Too fast? What does that mean? There is no such thing as "too" fast. Fast just means its a clean, happy ferment. By fast, I mean a fast gravity drop. Not bubbles. Bubbles mean very little.

reese27k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2014
Sorry if that was a dumb question. I had done some research before starting the batch and I read that it would take at least a day before you could actually see it fermenting. It just caught me off guard when it started to bubble so soon after I started. I wasn't able to check the specific gravity at first but I am going to get a hydrometer tonight. Thanks guys.

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
If you have never used EC-1118 before I can see how someone could think it was "too fast". Depending on the temp, good old 1118 can make the must look like it is almost boiling...

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Sorry if that was a dumb question. I had done some research before starting the batch and I read that it would take at least a day before you could actually see it fermenting. It just caught me off guard when it started to bubble so soon after I started. I wasn't able to check the specific gravity at first but I am going to get a hydrometer tonight. Thanks guys.
Not dumb at all. Just stated in a way that suggested that numbers might not have been taken and "surprise" at the bubbles......

Both indicative of a newer mead maker.......

If you get a hydrometer, once the bubbles stop, make a gravity test, then another say about 3 days later and repeat until you've got 3 identical reading and it can be considered finished (but that would depend on the consistent reading).

When taking readings, as long as you sanitise the kit you use to take and measure the samples, there's usually no problem in putting the sample back into the main body of the batch (I routinely do that all the time, using sanitised turkey baster, test tube 100ml and hydrometer).......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns