• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Headspace and splashing

Barrel Char Wood Products

sdrilling

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2013
Midwest USA
I did a search of the forum on the topic of headspace -- although I found a number of references to headspace I did not encounter any specific recommendations.

#1 - Is there a rule of thumb on how much headspace can cause oxygenation and off taste? For example, my five gallon black currant batch was reduced to about 4.75 gallons after three rackings. Is this too much?

#2 - What about time? Does the problem occur fairly quickly (ex a week) or after longer term storage?

#3 - Also when I was doing my search I found several references to splashing. I didn't know splashing was a problem. When we racked the third time and added stablizers we gave the carboy a good shake. Did we mess up the batch?

thank you

BigBossMan

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jul 27, 2010
Splashing and shaking will allow any oxygen in the carboy to be absorbed by your mead. While I'm fairly new to making mead, I'm an old hand at brewing beer. So I have several CO2 tanks. When I'm about to rack, I blanket the target carboy in CO2, rack and then top off the headspace with CO2.

On the third racking, were the stabilizers you added sulfites? IIRC, sulfites bond with oxygen molecules. So you may be okay. Depends on how much you used. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you more of a definitive answer.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns