PDA

View Full Version : Ageing JAOM

logichackzor
01-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I just had a quick question, I started a JAOM in late October and racked into bottles 2 months later. Of course, it is very pithy. How long is recommended to age it and what have you had the most success with. Thank you and happy drinking!

mmclean
01-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi there logichackzor,

Welcome to GOTMEAD.

I have some JAOM that's 3 years and 3 months old. I think it hit its peak at one year. Not that it got any worse after that, just not any better. I oaked mine and the last bottle I drank it wasn't noticeable.

There is a tread here somewhere about a five year old JAOM.

fatbloke
01-11-2014, 08:32 AM
I just had a quick question, I started a JAOM in late October and racked into bottles 2 months later. Of course, it is very pithy. How long is recommended to age it and what have you had the most success with. Thank you and happy drinking!
Also, welcome to the forums.

It shouldn't really be pithy tasting if you've followed the recipe (but it can be sometimes).

Generally it finishes sweet when the recipe is followed verbatim, but it's possible that sometimes bread yeast can take it dry (though not usually). The residual sugars usually found, mask any bitterness from the pith.

This is usually the problem when wine yeast has been used instead of bread yeast.

So you could either stabilise it and then back sweeten it some - maybe back up to something like the 1.015 to 1.020 area (possibly more if the pithy flavour persists), or you can just bottle it once it's clear and age it.

I'd say, minimum 6 months, longer if you can manage.

Or just get some more batches on the go.......

Once you've got a few done, then maybe think on experimentation or varying the recipe a bit - there's a few who've done that relatively regularly hereabouts (search for JAO variant posts by Chevette Girl)........