PDA

View Full Version : JAOM - Dealing with fruit

dogbert
01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
So I've done a couple 1-gallon batches of the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe with decent results, but I used an infusion method rather than putting the oranges directly into the carboy, as I was using reusable glass 1-gallon jugs rather than a disposable plastic container.

Assuming one follows the recipe to the letter and scales up for a 5-gallon batch (ie: http://http://5galjaombatch.blogspot.ca/ ) how does one deal with the fruit pulp? Do you just cut it into smaller pieces so it can be poured out later, or do you puree it with a food processor into a mushy pulp, or does it rot to the point where it's literally breaking down and loses its solid structure? I've seen a few cases where people have done 5-gallon batches, and am curious as to how they get the remaining orange fruit and rinds out of the carboy afterwards.

Thank you!

Riverat
01-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Well I know this will be blasphemy but I'm not a fan of JAOM but have done a few, I never had a lot of trouble getting the orange slices out if I actually cut them into eighths, I have used a stiff wire bent into a hook on a couple of stubborn pieces though.
But after the first batch I zested the oranges, peeled the rind / pith off and just used the zest and flesh and they just poured out.

dogbert
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Well I know this will be blasphemy but I'm not a fan of JAOM but have done a few, I never had a lot of trouble getting the orange slices out if I actually cut them into eighths, I have used a stiff wire bent into a hook on a couple of stubborn pieces though.
But after the first batch I zested the oranges, peeled the rind / pith off and just used the zest and flesh and they just poured out.

This makes perfect sense. I was wondering if the pith and stuff I dislike actually contributes in a beneficial manner given enough aging. Thanks!

Riverat
01-14-2014, 11:00 PM
This makes perfect sense. I was wondering if the pith and stuff I dislike actually contributes in a beneficial manner given enough aging. Thanks!

Actually they are suppose to, they are there to balance the residual sweetness like hops do in beer, but I just can't get past the sweetness ....as I'm just a dried up o'l buzzard I guess LOL

Chevette Girl
01-14-2014, 11:59 PM
I regularly use the juice (or squashed orange segments) and the zest because I discovered early on that leaving the pith in gave me heartburn... but if you cut the orange into eighths, they will get pretty soft so even if they don't slide right out of the carboy after you rack off, a bent piece of wire will work, I'm also told a crochet hook does the trick :)

mannye
01-15-2014, 01:33 AM
I did the JAOM to the letter in one gallon glass carboys. Cut the orange in 1/8 slices and there will be no issue getting them out. They just poured out no problem. I suspect that if anyone has trouble removing the orange it's because they didn't wait long enough to rack. If that fruit falls, it's just mush shaped like an orange wedge.

kudapucat
01-20-2014, 03:37 AM
5 gal is the same as 1 gal that Mannye describes.

If there are any stubborn slices, I turn the carboy upside down and shake. One gets lodged in the neck every time, just pull it out with your fingers. Then repeat.