PDA

View Full Version : 2nd JAOM recipe, honey in bottom

iamjoeyjo
01-17-2014, 09:15 PM
I followed the instructions and shook that carboy for a long tim but still ended up with about 1/4 inch of honey sitting at the bottom of my 5L carboy. It's probably due to the fact that I used raw and didn't heat the water high enough for all the honey to dissolve but I thought I would just try a non cooked method. Should I just leave it there, will the yeast eventually just eat it as I see many bubbles coming from the bottom there.

Joe says in the recipe if I stir it I will go to hell and that frightens me.

Honeyhog
01-17-2014, 09:47 PM
The yeast will eat it just fine. Leave it alone and watch the show.

Vance G
01-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Watching JAOM ferment is better than television.

mannye
01-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Watching your second batch while drinking your first is even better.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Chevette Girl
01-18-2014, 03:55 AM
Don't sweat it, you won't ACTUALLY go to hell if you stir it. Joe may be all-knowing but I don't think he's also all-powerful ;D

But it will still work even if you don't, as the yeast eat the honey that DID dissolve into the water, there will be a tendency for the undissolved stuff to dissolve.

Some people ferment like this on purpose so that the initial concentration of sugars isn't high enough to stress out the yeast, it sort of works out like a continuous feed rather than a batch feed.

mannye
01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Don't sweat it, you won't ACTUALLY go to hell if you stir it. Joe may be all-knowing but I don't think he's also all-powerful ;D

But it will still work even if you don't, as the yeast eat the honey that DID dissolve into the water, there will be a tendency for the undissolved stuff to dissolve.

Some people ferment like this on purpose so that the initial concentration of sugars isn't high enough to stress out the yeast, it sort of works out like a continuous feed rather than a batch feed.

Never thought if it that way. Hmmm. Maybe this could be a way of improving BOMM.

AND you are wrong about Joe. You will totally have a special room put aside for you.... For youuuuu! (Too much Queen this weekend)

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G