PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of what is what and where

MourneMead
01-21-2014, 05:23 AM
Apologies for asking a very basic question but I wonder how people keep track of what is what when they have a range of containers (demijohns) filled with different meads at different stages of fermentation, aging etc?

I've noticed that it's fine sticking a label on the side of a jar and writing on it but when you rack that all changes, and the label probably gets wet and indecipherable. I have one spare demijohn so it's a juggling act to rack from one to another, wash and steralise it, then use the empty one for the next racking etc...

I'm thinking some sort of tie on label that can be threaded through the handle might be more effective - then this can be easily moved from one to another. Or else mark each demijohn with a big number in indellible marker and then keep good written notes.

Grateful to know what works best for you so I can ....borrow.... that idea

many thanks

MM

Bob1016
01-21-2014, 06:36 AM
I use painters tape and a black sharpie. Every time the contents change I peel it off and make a new one.

kudapucat
01-21-2014, 07:54 AM
I use a black sharpie directly on the bottle. Sometimes a paint pen if it's a deep red mead (you can't read black on dark red mead)

I also use a code and store that code in a log book.
If you lose track, you can deduce what it is, from what it isn't. ;-)

Maeloch
01-21-2014, 08:14 AM
I've been using card labels and a bit of string thru the handle. The labels are just cut up from the rigid card envolopes you get from Amazon, and I put a hole thru with a holepunch. They get wet, but seem fairly resistant to getting soggy.

I did buy some 'proper' labels, but they fell to bits in no time and cost a fortune.

BBBF
01-21-2014, 08:46 AM
I use painters tape and a black sharpie. Every time the contents change I peel it off and make a new one.

This. Also the tape seems to hold up to removing from the bucket and placing on the secondary.

UKTony
01-21-2014, 09:52 AM
I bought some dry wipe labels from Grogtag. Very happy with them. Obviously the writing can get wiped very easily, that's a pro and a con. But I don't handle my brews very often, especially once they're bulk ageing, and when I do it's almost always by the handles, so rubbing the writing off, isn't a problem and it's very easy to see what's what when they're all lined up on a shelf. One word of warning is that the carboy labels don't quite fit well on the 1 Gallon Carboys, but they still work fine, they're just not as neat.

Tony

Honeyhog
01-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I name and number the brew, E.g. I'll use masking tape and a marker to label a carboy Cherry Melomel 1 and maybe the last action like racking and oaking and what date it was performed on but the rest of the particulars I list in my brew book for a permanent log.

Bob1016
01-21-2014, 11:50 AM
I do something similar. I've got OBD21-13, OBD47-13, PD21-13, P4600-13, BPD21-13, etc. and special mead get a name (Ariadne's mead, bochet-13, etc.). First letters are honey source (OB- orange blossom, P- palmetto, BP- Brazilian pepper) next the yeast, then the date of batch.

Riverat
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I cut the handles off of plastic grocery bags taking a chunk of the side, the handle goes over the air lock and the side panel is a great place to write on with a felt tip pen, plenty of room for name, date, basic recipe and notes. Easy to move to the next container.

skunkboy
01-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I use 3"x4" shipping lables on string with info written on them on the carboys, recipes in chemistry log books, and clip boards with extra useful information - like taste batch 234 on Jan 30th again and see if it needs more backsweetening - hanging in the basement stairwell... gets harder to keep track the more stuff you have running/aging the and more stuff you have done over time...

ostensibly
01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
I keep a detailed logbook but for IDing fermenters I use painters tape and a sharpie.

GntlKnigt1
01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
I like Bob1016 inventory system. Nice. I print out my mead-in-progress log and tape it to fermenter or carboy. Every time I touch the batch to take a reading, taste it, rack it or whatever, I just handwrite it at the bottom of the page until it is time to update it in computer and get a clean print out. Very handy when you don't recall when this was stabilized, or that got super kleer.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chevette Girl
01-22-2014, 01:16 AM
I've tried a lot of different things over the years (cardboard on a string, cardboard with a slotted hole that goes around the airlock, printed out cards with carboy cutouts) but because of ink fading or running, wind blowing cardboard away, strings falling off, and soggy cardboard, I finally settled on using the lick-and-stick labels from a wine kit turned upside down (they're dark on top and light on the bottom) and I write on the light part (the type of wine or mead and the date started as a minimum, occasionally racking info like dates and SG's and whether I've stabilized, fined or backsweetened), and I only ever lick and stick the side edges or the bottom so if I rip it while moving the label when I rack, the info is not obliterated and I've still got somewhere else to lick and stick whatever's left of the label after I remove it. When I run out of those labels, I'll either be ready for another kit or I'll just got to Business Despot and buy some lick-and-stick labels.

Then I have all the detailed info in my logbook (chronologically) and almost all recent batches also copied to a brewlog on Gotmead. I have an excel spreadsheet that's kind of an index to the brewlog (hard to remember when I did that second blueberry batch if I have to look it up by the date) and on that same document, I also keep a summary of info for each batch (start date, bottle date, final SG, %, yeast used, # and sizes of bottles left and where they're stored in the basement).

I also have a couple of dry erase boards where I try to write myself reminders about which batches need attention but I'm forever forgetting to update it, I also use coloured post-it flags in the log book to tag things that need racking, bottling or fining. I also forget to update those.

GntlKnigt1
01-22-2014, 03:12 AM
I've tried a lot of different things over the years (cardboard on a string, cardboard with a slotted hole that goes around the airlock, printed out cards with carboy cutouts) but because of ink fading or running, wind blowing cardboard away, strings falling off, and soggy cardboard, I finally settled on using the lick-and-stick labels from a wine kit turned upside down (they're dark on top and light on the bottom) and I write on the light part (the type of wine or mead and the date started as a minimum, occasionally racking info like dates and SG's and whether I've stabilized, fined or backsweetened), and I only ever lick and stick the side edges or the bottom so if I rip it while moving the label when I rack, the info is not obliterated and I've still got somewhere else to lick and stick whatever's left of the label after I remove it. When I run out of those labels, I'll either be ready for another kit or I'll just got to Business Despot and buy some lick-and-stick labels.

Then I have all the detailed info in my logbook (chronologically) and almost all recent batches also copied to a brewlog on Gotmead. I have an excel spreadsheet that's kind of an index to the brewlog (hard to remember when I did that second blueberry batch if I have to look it up by the date) and on that same document, I also keep a summary of info for each batch (start date, bottle date, final SG, %, yeast used, # and sizes of bottles left and where they're stored in the basement).

I also have a couple of dry erase boards where I try to write myself reminders about which batches need attention but I'm forever forgetting to update it, I also use coloured post-it flags in the log book to tag things that need racking, bottling or fining. I also forget to update those.

Okay.... and where is your inventory of 400+ bottles of finished product? I STILL can't get anything close to that....

MourneMead
01-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Thanks very much for all those replies - some useful tips there. I think I'll go down the tied on label route first and see how I get on.

MM

mannye
01-22-2014, 11:36 AM
I've been using these for years. At first I was using repurposed VHS labels made out of the same stuff, but these are specific for food (wet environment) and supposedly survive in a dishwasher. They use Sharpies but are erasable.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversPlastic?productId=10009870

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/eju5y3u7.jpg

skunkboy
01-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Okay.... and where is your inventory of 400+ bottles of finished product? I STILL can't get anything close to that....

Only 400+, hmmm... needs some work :)

GntlKnigt1
01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah....Chevette Girl revealed that she has that huge inventory. Apparently, she doesnt drink fast enough.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

mannye
01-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah....Chevette Girl revealed that she has that huge inventory. Apparently, she doesnt drink fast enough.

What kind of people would we be if we didn't head over there and HELP her?

Riverat
01-23-2014, 01:13 PM
What kind of people would we be if we didn't head over there and HELP her?

Pick me up on your way north! LOL

Chevette Girl
01-23-2014, 05:24 PM
LOL, party at my place... Where is it? It's all hiding behind, like, everything. That's why I keep that detailed an inventory, so if I go looking for something specific, I know where it is and don't have to take my whole basement apart. As for the party at my place, just let me know when, but be aware it's not all mead, and furthermore it's not all good either :)

And it's probably back down around 300 again, I've been, uh, exchanging gifts :)

kudapucat
01-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Ugh! More reasons to want to blow $5k on an airfare.

GntlKnigt1
01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
My airfare would be almost as bad....

kudapucat
01-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Actually (I just checked) MEL-LAX-YYZ-YOW is only $2700 return...

So how come Canada drew the short straw with airport designations?

LAX - Los Angeles
MEL - Melbourne
SYD - Sydney
PER - Perth
ADL - Adelaide
PEK - Peking
LHR - London Heathrow
ATL - Atlanta

and then...

YZZ - Toronto?
YOW - Ottawa?

WTF? does this make sense in (excuse my ignorance) the Odawa Language? Or in some other way I've overlooked?

mannye
01-23-2014, 06:50 PM
I'll bring pork rinds!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

joemirando
01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Apologies for asking a very basic question but I wonder how people keep track of what is what when they have a range of containers (demijohns) filled with different meads at different stages of fermentation, aging etc?

MM,

I use black electrical tape and a silver sharpie. When I rack, I peel it off and stick it on the next carboy/bottle/jug. I mark it either with the name of the mead and the start date or with an index number from my mead log. I usually opt for the mead name and start date.

Joe