PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back! Not that anyone missed me...

painthappy
01-21-2014, 10:53 PM
It's ok... It's been a while. I just bottled a year old batch of mead, made another a couple weeks ago, racked it already, and I have 60lbs of more honey coming.

Doing a little research on potentially doing a large batch in the future re-ran across this site. I said to myself... I remember that place.

A little dance and a little log-in after a password reset... I'm back!

Of course it says: You last visited: 09-08-2006 at 05:13 PM

So seven and a half years ago... What did I miss? :P

Well, in that mean time I never lost my roots. I've started keeping bees, failed a few times but I keep at it, and I'm back making mead.

Anyhow, it's good to be back.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5491/11928790203_815aa992b5_z.jpg

clone63
01-21-2014, 11:05 PM
That's quite the uuhh.. lag time. 7 years..
It's always great to know more apiarists! Rock on.
Talk to you in.. 8 years? lol

skunkboy
01-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Welcome back, the place is still covered with sticky must from the last meadsplosion, so watch your step... ;)

Chevette Girl
01-22-2014, 01:00 AM
What's happened? Uh, well, I somehow made some obscene number of posts, many of which are even about mead... there's a 300+ post religious discussion somewhere in the hive with no flaming... probably a number of forum upgrades and new tools, we've been talking a lot about not boiling honey, doing staggered nutrient additions, DAP/energizer ratios, not adding acid to mead musts, stirplate discussions, and recently a one-month mead (BOMM)... and a whole lot of discussion about Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and variations on that theme. Or at least that's what's up since I joined.

Glad to have you back, can't wait to hear some bee stories!

kudapucat
01-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Nice synopsis CG.

Shmafty
01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
What's happened? Uh, well, I somehow made some obscene number of posts, many of which are even about mead... there's a 300+ post religious discussion somewhere in the hive with no flaming... probably a number of forum upgrades and new tools, we've been talking a lot about not boiling honey, doing staggered nutrient additions, DAP/energizer ratios, not adding acid to mead musts, stirplate discussions, and recently a one-month mead (BOMM)... and a whole lot of discussion about Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and variations on that theme. Or at least that's what's up since I joined.
Now we just need to set that to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire". ;D

painthappy
01-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Glad to have you back, can't wait to hear some bee stories!

So what you're saying is.... I'm doing it all wrong?

I don't' boil honey, but then again a bochet is slated in my future... Staggered nutrient additions? Already do that. 1/4 tsp each day for the first 5 days. Maybe not staggered enough though.

Not adding acid? Old habits are hard to break and I seem to get better results with a bit of citrus added.

One month mead? This I gotta see.

GntlKnigt1
01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
LOL. Welcome to better mead making at GotMead, where you are still free to do whatever the heck you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheAlchemist
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Welcome back.

Where'd you get the fancy air lock?

painthappy
01-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Welcome back.

Where'd you get the fancy air lock?

I love that air lock.. It's glass and worth the money. I bought this exact one here:

http://beer-wine.com/products/glass-fermentation-lock

That store is only about an hour away from me and worth the drive.