PDA

View Full Version : question about show mead recipe

bernardsmith
01-22-2014, 01:12 PM
I just saw a recipe for a show mead that used honey, water and yeast. I am not particularly interested in the recipe itself but in the question the recipe raises.
1. Is show mead really only made using these three ingredients?
2. Since honey is very nutrient poor for yeast ,what is the secret to making such a mead?

loveofrose
01-22-2014, 01:46 PM
1. Yes. That's it.
2. Time. Lots and lots of time.

TheAlchemist
01-22-2014, 03:22 PM
You can use their boiled brethren to nourish the yeasties.

GntlKnigt1
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Using dark honey varieties seems to help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Medsen Fey
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeast selection (low nutrient needs), honey selection (darker tends to be easier), Pitch size (bigger is better, starter is good), are all factors. Incorporating some cooked yeast into the recipe definitely helps if you don't consider that to be inappropriate (I don't).

My way of using yeast is to heat up the rehydration water in a larger than usual volume - like 1 cup. I heat it to boiling then throw in a bunch of the yeast I'm using or a bunch of brewers yeast. That will kill them. Then when that slurry cools down to 104 F, I add my intended yeast for fermentation for proper rehydration, then I pitch it and let it do its thing.

Patience definitely helps.

Frankly, I find I like the results I get better when I use a good nutrient plan.

GntlKnigt1
01-23-2014, 03:50 AM
Ken Schramm and lalvin yeast scientist on mead nutrients....
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/mead_nutrients.asp

kudapucat
01-23-2014, 06:12 AM
That's an interesting link, though it got a bit boffiny toward the end.

GntlKnigt1
01-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Okay.....boffiny has to be an australian slang term (have been fascinated with that since Fosters did an ad with aussie slang). What is boffiny?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

MourneMead
01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Boffiny would be a term used here too - though rarely. Means something put forward in very intelectual speak - as if written or said by someone who knew their subject really well but couldn't necessarily get that accross well those who didn't.

GntlKnigt1
01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Okay.... got it now.... Interesting word of the day...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/boffiny

Shelley
01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Boffiny would be a term used here too - though rarely. Means something put forward in very intelectual speak - as if written or said by someone who knew their subject really well but couldn't necessarily get that accross well those who didn't.

That is SUCH a good word.

Shelley
01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
I just saw a recipe for a show mead that used honey, water and yeast. I am not particularly interested in the recipe itself but in the question the recipe raises.
1. Is show mead really only made using these three ingredients?
2. Since honey is very nutrient poor for yeast ,what is the secret to making such a mead?

This describes about 90% of my meads. Honey, cotes de blanc and water. I use yeast nutrient in a bottle for my trace nutrients.

No two brews have come out identical, since the honey that goes in is never the exact same flavor. I generally run about 14% abv, making mostly sweet meads (I don't backsweeten; my honey goes all up front).

I love straight (aka show) meads -- at least the home brewed ones.

Shelley

Medsen Fey
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Just to be clear on the definintions:

Traditional Mead - Honey, water, yeast, and may have nutrients, acid additions, tannin additions, stabilizers, etc.

Show Mead - Honey, water and yeast only.