• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bees threatened?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kansas Mead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
I read about this a few months ago. It is the neonicotinoids that kills bees. After this chemical and other like it was outlaw, bees came back stronger. So there is a link between bee health and chemical use.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
It would be great if every park, nature preserve and public forest with more than 5 acres had at least 1 hive as a monitor for the environment...like the canary in the mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
And I just read an article that indicated that some of the approved chemicals used to carry / apply many different pesticides and agricultural chemicals are not toxic to adults bees but are to the larva and much more so in combination, not something generally tested for when getting FDA approval

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Personally I'd remind them that the last time "big German Chemical" had uncontrolled production they produced materials that cost 6 million lives and to STFU !.......

ok so less emotionally........ I understood it's only a limited trial ban for a few years ? So why the impatience ? Greed ?

Didn't France ban them there unilaterally earlier? but then joined the EU wide one. What was their finding ? Does France have the same issues ? If not why not ?

We should be able to have the debate before "they" are allowed to start churning out their untested poisons........

Last edited:

Kansas Mead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
It is the old idea of spray and pray. Around where I live the goto for weeds and insects is to spray a chemical and move on. Given the fact that the cost both in chemicals and equipment is high. It would cost less to develop a integrated pest management.
It is worth noting that the chemicals used were first develop for use in war.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
It is the old idea of spray and pray. Around where I live the goto for weeds and insects is to spray a chemical and move on. Given the fact that the cost both in chemicals and equipment is high. It would cost less to develop a integrated pest management.
It is worth noting that the chemicals used were first develop for use in war.
My point exactly.......

as a kid I worked on farms. It was routine to dip the sheep annually. The dip chems were organo-phosphate, which have now been banned and the dipping chems have been reformulated.......

And guess where OP's originate ?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Haha. Is Gorbachev here somewhere?

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns