PDA

View Full Version : My first official JAO Mead...

xanderphillips
01-31-2014, 11:50 PM
Followed the recipe for the amounts.
Zested the orange peel into the must, and peeled off the rinds because I don't like the pith.

I thought it was odd that this gallon batch floated my hydrometer OFF THE CHART so I couldn't get my initial values...

I spun it and poked it and prodded, even attempted a little bit of threatening, but it was having none of that!

Not sure why the original gravity was that high, but I'm assuming I'll end up with slightly alcoholic syrup to drink, as I used the bread yeast from the recipe, so I'm guessing not much of the honey will get converted... (it has a pretty low tolerance right?)

-X

xanderphillips
02-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Dang, that bread yeast doesn't screw around... under 3 hours and I'm bubbling already. If only it had a higher alcohol tolerance.

joemirando
02-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Xander,

Higher ABV ain't everything. Bread yeast will get you to 10-12%. That's higher than Lambrusco. I had one batch that went a little crazy and went to 14.

Even using a higher tolerance yeast that will take you to 18%, is that extra alcohol going to make a big difference in the... ummm... desired effect? It will, I assure you, make a big difference in how long it takes your mead to mature, and the 'burn' it produces. "Jet fuel" is what comes to mind.

JAO was custom designed to be an easy beginners' mead, and damn if it don't fit the bill. I find that aging it for a while smooths it out nicely.

I am more interested in your hydrometer reading. What is the highest reading on your hydrometer? Better yet, what are its top-end and bottom-end markings? You used 3.5 lbs of honey to make a gallon batch? If it is a wine/beer hydrometer, it should be reading somewhere around 1.025 (give or take a few depending on the orange).

Get ready to watch the lava lamp show. Once things get going, its almost comical to watch the raisins in a batch of JAO. Almost certainly better than watching some of the dreck that's on TV. ;)

Joe

xanderphillips
02-01-2014, 03:46 AM
I just looked at the jar again and realized that the 'small' jar of honey I used is actually a 5 pound jar! I thought I had a 3 pound jar! Oh no!!! Will the yeast ever be able to eat enough of that to make it not like drinking syrup?

This (http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/Alla-Triple-Scale-Hydrometer/productinfo/LD5451/) is my hydrometer.

Wondering if I will need to rack to my 3 gallon carboy and add water to keep it from being horribly sweet...

GntlKnigt1
02-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Oops. Well, might be an interesting experiment in bread yeast sugar tolerance.....hydrometer is off the scale? Maybe someone that knows the usual SG for JAOM can suggest splitting it into 2 batches, adding water to the specified SG, and doubling your results.

Then again, you could boil some yeast and add it, and more raisins and see how far you can take the bread yeast down the road.....

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Riverat
02-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I just looked at the jar again and realized that the 'small' jar of honey I used is actually a 5 pound jar! I thought I had a 3 pound jar! Oh no!!! Will the yeast ever be able to eat enough of that to make it not like drinking syrup?

This (http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/Alla-Triple-Scale-Hydrometer/productinfo/LD5451/) is my hydrometer.

Wondering if I will need to rack to my 3 gallon carboy and add water to keep it from being horribly sweet...

No
Yes, you will need to add a bit less than a half gallon of water to it

Shoot for 1.125

xanderphillips
02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Added orange / zest / clove / cinnamon stick to the second carboy as well, didn't want to neglect that step-child!

SG ended up right about 1.1 maybe a tad bit higher.. (had to keep swirling hydrometer to keep it from getting stuck to an orange!) :)

They look golden and delicious!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/12254663913_711843e2a0_d.jpg

loveofrose
02-01-2014, 02:38 PM
I've seen the starting gravity for JAOM vary from 1.13-1.14. FG ranges 1.045-1.03. Hope that helps!

joemirando
02-01-2014, 05:46 PM
They look golden and delicious!

Oh just wait! It takes on the most amazing color as it begins to clear. My young niece saw it and termed it "glow water".

GntlKnigt1
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice recovery there Xander....good luck with it. It should be fine now.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

kudapucat
02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
No

Yes, you will need to add a bit less than a half gallon of water to it

Shoot for 1.125

Being as it's started fermenting this may be a tad high, but there's no way to know.

I've seen the starting gravity for JAOM vary from 1.13-1.14. FG ranges 1.045-1.03. Hope that helps!

This would definitely be too high for me (try to always use 4 digits eg. 1.030 - it's less confusing)
Especially as it's started fermenting already.
When it's finished, if it's balanced, I've had drinkable JAO from 1.015-1.050, though the 1.050 was a rare beast indeed.

If it is too sweet for your taste, we can try adding some acid or tannin to balance it.

What you've done so far is the most you could hope to do. Now it's time to sit back and see what comes.

mannye
02-01-2014, 11:05 PM
I always think that it can't hurt to make another batch of JAOM with half the required honey, and let that sucker go completely dry then use it to blend with the sweet one.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

ScotRob
02-02-2014, 01:46 PM
I would leave it now and see what you get at the end, rather than tinker by adding more water, raisins, etc...you never know, you may get a really really nice mead that you love...and if not, you can always chalk it up to experience and try again (or try blending it with a very dry white mead or wine)....NB: remember that JAOM should be at least slightly sweet,,,if you take it to dryness it will not taste good (the pith flavour and spices will overwhelm it)

xanderphillips
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Ok, so they are looking very clear now. (This picture looks much more cloudy than real life. They started out looking like orange juice and now they are clear enough to read paper through.
How do I know when they are 'done'? After the nasty tastings I had today with my bochet and blackberry meads I'm looking for some success to cheer me up!

-Xanderphillips

[edit] oops, forgot the photo!
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3784/13364263405_96161cbf9d_z.jpg

GntlKnigt1
03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
That's the beauty of JAOM...simple, self clearing, quick to be drinkable and a good mead to start with. So, how does it taste?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

xanderphillips
03-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Don't know, I haven't touched it! Instructions were something like "Don't touch it", so I didn't! LOL! That's why I was asking about how to know when I should interact with it...

mannye
03-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Once the fruit floating on top starts to sink you can steal a glass to taste. Then wait a little longer until all the fruit drops and then you can siphon the rest off.

If you get a little impatient (I did) you can jostle the fruit a little to get the yeast to drop off it which will hasten the lava lamp effect.

joemirando
03-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Don't know, I haven't touched it! Instructions were something like "Don't touch it", so I didn't! LOL! That's why I was asking about how to know when I should interact with it...

I started 2 batches 3 months ago, and the fermentation has long since stopped, but the fruit had not fallen, so I stuck 'em both in the fridge for a day, and... plop, down went the fruit.

Joe

xanderphillips
03-25-2014, 10:10 PM
might try that (or put in garage, it's like 25 degrees F outside, so the garage is like a meat locker!) thanks!

xanderphillips
03-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Awesome, one jug everything fell, the other just has those bloated ugly raisins floating now!

mannye
03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Awesome, one jug everything fell, the other just has those bloated ugly raisins floating now!

Both are done!

xanderphillips
03-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Racked them today to clean glass. Looks good and tastes decent, but still a bit 'hot', needs more age.

mannye
03-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Awesome. It will just keep getting better as the weeks go by. If you can resist the temptation to sample. Try and set aside at least one bottle (12oz) and forget about it. I wish I had done that with my first JAOM. It would be a little over 2 years old by now! Once you get patience, time flies!

moridin
03-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Awesome. It will just keep getting better as the weeks go by. If you can resist the temptation to sample. Try and set aside at least one bottle (12oz) and forget about it. I wish I had done that with my first JAOM. It would be a little over 2 years old by now! Once you get patience, time flies!

I completely agree, made the same mistake with my first meads ( jaom included) now I just make 5 gallon batches tho and the odd 1 gal test batch so saving a few bottles for a year or two shouldn't be thattt hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antonichen
03-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to post and say that I too have begun my first three batches of JAOM. I started two gallons late February and I started another five days later.

It's been just over a month and they are just starting to clear a little. I followed the recipe as best I could (I actually added too much clove in the first mix) but used two different brands of (wildflower) honey. I can really see the difference in the color from the two different types.

I'm pretty darn excited about what they are going to taste like. I've read basically every page of the newbee guide and everything that I could about JAOM. One question: is there any particular type of filter that I should use on the siphon hose when I bottle? I bought the mini auto-siphon, and I have the bottle filler applicator for the bottles, but what if anything should I use to filter the siphon hose? I think the ID is 5/16" and OD 3/8".

Xander, how did bottling go for you? Or did you just put them into a secondary?

xanderphillips
03-29-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm just in secondary. It's settled out a bit more crud since then so I'm glad I didn't bottle yet.

antonichen
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that I should perhaps do the same thing, which means I'm going to have to buy another container. I think I may just break down and buy a five gallon carboy. I figure that even if I brew only occasionally it wouldn't be a bad investment.

Honeyhog
03-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that I should perhaps do the same thing, which means I'm going to have to buy another container. I think I may just break down and buy a five gallon carboy. I figure that even if I brew only occasionally it wouldn't be a bad investment.
Look on Craigslist, kijiji, the hobbies and misc. section in the paper and yard sales. I got two 23L carboys, a 26.5L carboy plus assorted other goodies like airlocks all for $30 at a yard sale advertized on Craigslist. So keep an eye out there are good deals out there.

antonichen
03-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Look on Craigslist, kijiji, the hobbies and misc. section in the paper and yard sales. I got two 23L carboys, a 26.5L carboy plus assorted other goodies like airlocks all for $30 at a yard sale advertized on Craigslist. So keep an eye out there are good deals out there.

Yeah that was an awesome deal, considering that one of those carboys would go for more than that! Good advice and I'll start scouring the local used market, thanks!

mannye
03-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to post and say that I too have begun my first three batches of JAOM. I started two gallons late February and I started another five days later.

It's been just over a month and they are just starting to clear a little. I followed the recipe as best I could (I actually added too much clove in the first mix) but used two different brands of (wildflower) honey. I can really see the difference in the color from the two different types.

I'm pretty darn excited about what they are going to taste like. I've read basically every page of the newbee guide and everything that I could about JAOM. One question: is there any particular type of filter that I should use on the siphon hose when I bottle? I bought the mini auto-siphon, and I have the bottle filler applicator for the bottles, but what if anything should I use to filter the siphon hose? I think the ID is 5/16" and OD 3/8".

Xander, how did bottling go for you? Or did you just put them into a secondary?

When you rack out of your primary, don't filter at all. You will only end up clogging the filter very quickly. It looks clear but it's not. Rack into a secondary carboy and then cold crash in the fridge for a week. Then rack again. Once you have a carboy of twice racked once cold crashed mead you will be ready to filter.

I recommend the Vin-Brite. It's cheap, works very well and the media is good for 5 gallons and also cheap to replace.

moridin
03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Yeah that was an awesome deal, considering that one of those carboys would go for more than that! Good advice and I'll start scouring the local used market, thanks!

I would recommend seeking out local home brew stores, and others affiliated with various wineries. One of my nearby hbs sells 5 gal used carboys for 10 bucks, and new airlocks and bungs and those things only cost few bucks

antonichen
04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
I would recommend seeking out local home brew stores, and others affiliated with various wineries. One of my nearby hbs sells 5 gal used carboys for 10 bucks, and new airlocks and bungs and those things only cost few bucks

Yeah I will keep an eye out before I purchase a new one for 40+ dollars. Also, I have no LHBS so I'm kind of at the mercy of the private used market. By the time I drive 50 miles to the nearest LHBS, I might as well just pay for a brand new one and shipping. I think I'll check out my local recycling center and see if I can find some 1ga wine bottles, sanitize them, and use those as secondaries. I'm already set with bottles.

When you rack out of your primary, don't filter at all. You will only end up clogging the filter very quickly. It looks clear but it's not. Rack into a secondary carboy and then cold crash in the fridge for a week. Then rack again. Once you have a carboy of twice racked once cold crashed mead you will be ready to filter.

I recommend the Vin-Brite. It's cheap, works very well and the media is good for 5 gallons and also cheap to replace.

Gotcha mannye and thanks for the info. I will follow your instructions and twice rack/cold crash. Now I just need the secondary containers.

antonichen
04-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Mannye,

I've been reading about the Vinbrite that you mentioned and that seems like a great solution. There are a handful of reviews on amazon.com about it and most people seem pretty satisfied with it. Alas it seems that those with poor reviews probably didn't let their brews settle long enough before trying to filter. I think by racking twice and cold crashing, once the filter comes into use as you recommended, the mead should be much finer to filter. I haven't used the system but it definitely seems doable to me. And if I can use one pad per (hopeful) five gallons of mead, buying replacement pads wouldn't be too expensive either. Although the pads are roughly $12 per six-pack online (amazon: plus a disgusting $5 shipping charge), I'd probably be much better off buying them in person.

So in the hopes of already having relatively clear mead to filter, and disregarding the possibility of altering flavors by using the same filter for multiple 1-gallon batches (well 1 to five 1-gallon batches until I buy a five gallon carboy), I'm looking at a cost of $17 per six-pack of filters (via online purchase), plus the initial system cost of approximately $46.85. So for about 64 dollars, in theory, that would be enough to filter (5*12[one six-pack comes with unit + additional pack]=) roughly 60 gallons. That would give me the most hopeful optimistic value of just over a dollar ( ≈$1.07) per gallon filtered.

It's late and I've spent a considerable amount of my day studying calculus ;). I thought I'd run through a few estimates to see what this filtering unit would cost me in the long run versus the up-front costs.

:Edit: Do you use the Vinpapers? Because that would be an additional cost.

mannye
04-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Here is my mead ready to filter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/zatydy6e.jpg
I put the growler and my hand behind the carboys so you can see a real world example of how clear it should be before you filter.

The sediment you see at the bottom is what fell out of clear LOOKING mead after racking into the secondary and cold crashing. Granted, there are finings in there as well but the point is that filtering should not be a way to get clear mead. It's only really useful as a final polish to get that "sparkling" look otherwise only really achievable by letting it sit for months or years.

antonichen
04-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Here is my mead ready to filter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/zatydy6e.jpg
I put the growler and my hand behind the carboys so you can see a real world example of how clear it should be before you filter.

The sediment you see at the bottom is what fell out of clear LOOKING mead after racking into the secondary and cold crashing. Granted, there are finings in there as well but the point is that filtering should not be a way to get clear mead. It's only really useful as a final polish to get that "sparkling" look otherwise only really achievable by letting it sit for months or years.

Right, I understand. So what you're telling me is, filtering is more of a cosmetic thing? Can you taste a difference with the enhanced clarity? For brewing purposes alone, I understand why people would strive to make their mead as flawless as possible, but will the final filter leave a taste less gritty or more palpable?

I don't think I would mind the extra step and additional cost if filtering was going to improve the taste or texture of the brew. If it terms out it is largely just for appearance, I could do without it.

mannye
04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I won't say it makes a big difference because the only way to judge is by doing it for yourself and tasting the results.

I notice a subtle difference in mouthfeel that aside from the clarity enhances (for me) the whole experience. It doesn't change the flavor in my experience but it does make drinking more enjoyable.

I just filtered those two carboys in preparation for some friends coming over to try mead for the first time. Here are the resulting meads:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/udesa6eg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/9uretaby.jpg

Nicely polished. Remember that wine is a feast for all the senses and a cloudy glass can put off your boozy buddies pretty quick.

But if you have the time and patience to just wait/cold crash/rack/repeat you will achieve the same result.

GntlKnigt1
04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Looks good!

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

moridin
04-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Crystal clear. Nice work. Wouldn't mind some of that. Ahahahaha

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

antonichen
04-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes your mead looks great! I greatly appreciate all of the info and the pics.

I think I'll invest in the Vinbrite as well. My wife isn't a huge drinker but she is excited about trying the mead that I've been making (my first brews ever mind you). I was talking with her about possibly buying the filter and she thinks it's a good idea. If she is okay with making it as enjoyable as possible, I will follow your advice and final filter. First racking is coming up in a few weeks. I may leave the mead in the primaries for about two extra weeks. Could this create any negative effects? I know the JAOM recipe is pretty forgiving (if you follow the instructions precisely), but I'd obviously rather do it verbatim the first few tries. I just may be out of town when the two month mark hits.

Thanks again mannye for all of the info!

moridin
04-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes your mead looks great! I greatly appreciate all of the info and the pics.

I think I'll invest in the Vinbrite as well. My wife isn't a huge drinker but she is excited about trying the mead that I've been making (my first brews ever mind you). I was talking with her about possibly buying the filter and she thinks it's a good idea. If she is okay with making it as enjoyable as possible, I will follow your advice and final filter. First racking is coming up in a few weeks. I may leave the mead in the primaries for about two extra weeks. Could this create any negative effects? I know the JAOM recipe is pretty forgiving (if you follow the instructions precisely), but I'd obviously rather do it verbatim the first few tries. I just may be out of town when the two month mark hits.

Thanks again mannye for all of the info!

My jaoms have been left on lees until all the fruit as settled - sometimes this took over 2 months.

mannye
04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
My jaoms have been left on lees until all the fruit as settled - sometimes this took over 2 months.

Same here. Don't sweat it. My first JAOM sat on the lees for 8 weeks. I have had BOMMs on the lees for almost the same with no ill effect.

Like the guy that first taught me to brew beer 24 years ago said... Relax and have a homebrew.

muerte69
04-04-2014, 03:08 PM
I waited till all the fruit dropped and then racked off to another jug with a panty hose filter on the end of my siphon. That worked well to keep the big stuff out and then racked to jars for storage. What was left in the jugs I filtered thru a coffee filter. Took forever but it's all clear and the last filtered stuff is my drink first jar...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

antonichen
04-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Once I rack into a secondary carboy or jug, will a generic twist-off cap be sufficient for keeping oxygen out? This is assuming that I have waited as long as possible for all fermentation to be complete before racking.

I was searching online for some 1 gallon jugs and containers and I've found some regular 1 gallon jars for cheap, and they only have generic twist-tops.

I also noticed mannye has some simple screw caps on his batches right before he filtered. I just noticed that the jars are not listed as airtight -- nice that the vendor stated this.

Honeyhog
04-04-2014, 10:25 PM
I just put a balloon on my jugs. That way if they off gas or start fermenting again they won't blow up the carboy.

antonichen
04-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Went ahead and ordered three additional 1 gallon jugs, only about 6 bucks each so I'm happy. I want a five gallon eventually but since I bought a mini-auto siphon and these are my first batches, I think I'll stick with 3 one-gallon batches for now. I imagine that once I rack, I can sanitize the airlocks and stoppers and use those to seal the brews, and I have plugs that can fit in the stoppers as well if I don't think the brews need to decompress.

antonichen
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Been out of town for six days and just got back. One of my one gallon's oranges have almost all dropped! The other two are about the same as when I left, but I have a feeling they will be dropping soon too. I have about a week and a half until my two months are up. At that time, I'll use my hydrometer and compare my gravities with my OG. Pretty excited! Got my new jugs in too so I'll probably sanitize them soon.

moridin
04-17-2014, 01:48 AM
One of the best feelings you can have is checking on your jaom and seeing fruit has dropped :)

antonichen
04-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Yeah I know haha. I was bugging my wife while I was gone, "Go check on my mead!", like it had done something interesting. This time it had!

antonichen
04-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Had my first sample tonight. I'm moderately tipsy(before the sample), and the mead is very spicy (I mentioned that I used too much clove on the first batch), but I must say, I'm very happy with it! I will probably drink most of this "spicy" brew and store more of the other two gallons. For a first brew, not bad methinks!

mannye
04-20-2014, 01:51 AM
Had my first sample tonight. I'm moderately tipsy(before the sample), and the mead is very spicy (I mentioned that I used too much clove on the first batch), but I must say, I'm very happy with it! I will probably drink most of this "spicy" brew and store more of the other two gallons. For a first brew, not bad methinks!

That's the mission of JAOM... now we HAVE you... bwah...ha...hahahahhaa. Now go make a BOMM, follow with a more conventional type, join as a patron AND then feel the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

moridin
04-20-2014, 02:52 AM
That's the mission of JAOM... now we HAVE you... bwah...ha...hahahahhaa. Now go make a BOMM, follow with a more conventional type, join as a patron AND then feel the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

Side note here... Is becoming a patron worth it?

Riverat
04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Side note here... Is becoming a patron worth it?

IMHO it is well worth it for access to the patrons logs alone but I have come to feel that more importantly becoming a patron is an act of showing appreciation and support to the folks that spend their time, effort and yes, money, to create and maintain this site as a resource (and a nice place for a pretty nice group to hang out) for beginners as well as the more experienced.

Medsen Fey
04-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Oskaar's recipes alone are worth it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

moridin
04-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Ah fair enough. I guess it's about time I commit :p

mannye
04-20-2014, 06:44 PM

It's a year of drinking for the cost of three pints... best value ever.

Medsen Fey
04-20-2014, 06:59 PM

There are those who feel we should all be committed (to a psych ward)! ;D

moridin
04-20-2014, 07:03 PM

Including most of our families and friends I would assume

smertz001
04-22-2014, 12:13 PM

It's where I get my free internet access from (=

antonichen
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm probably going to rack in 3 days. I was saddened today to find that my mini auto siphon is already cracked, and I haven't even used it! I don't know how it could have happened, I'm guessing that somehow something hit the tube. It's been in no heat.

moridin
04-22-2014, 11:49 PM
That sucks big time. I wonder if you could use some tape to seal it up?

mannye
04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Is it glass? Either way don't sweat it. Just get a tube and siphon off the old fashioned way. Sorry to hear it though.

antonichen
04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah I'm definitely going to proceed with using it. Obviously I have to be very concerned about glass fragments, although it looks to be in totally one piece and not splintered -- that could change once I put pressure on it though. After racking at least 2 of the containers (the third was spaced five days later) I'll probably just throw it away. I haven't decided if I want to order a new one because with the shipping charge I don't think it's worth the cost.

Mannye, that's what I was thinking, just go about it the old way. I ordered plenty of tubing so I can always resort to simple siphoning. I'm just annoyed that I haven't even used it yet! I must have touched it with something like the PBW container or some other item because it's just been sitting there for two months in a spare bathroom.

antonichen
04-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Sampled again today. I also took a hydrometer reading for the first batch. According to my calculations I have an OG of 1.141 or 1.140, and my FG (well at least to this point) is 1.040. I'm pretty sure that the first batch is nearly complete (all of the fruit has dropped minus a few raisins). What is the best equation to use? I found some different eqs. and my ABV ranged from approximately 10 to 14%. My high estimate was actually 15%, and I know that roughly this mead and yeast produce about 14% or so at most, so I figure ballpark estimate, things look about right.

I gotta say, I do enjoy the brew. I still think it's too clovey (oh and I bought the powdered clove on accident [even after having the whole ones in my hand!]), and I pushed my stopper in the first batch and had all kinds of hell and possible contamination issues from fishing it out, but it tastes really darn well, especially with not even having racked it yet. I will probably drink half of it, bottle and store the rest, and then start sampling the second batch. I may let it sit longer as I mentioned that I'm going to be out of town for two weeks. The second batch hasn't dropped all of its oranges yet, but about 35-50% of them have dropped. That'll put it at about 10 weeks when I finally get around to first time racking the second batch, and 9 weeks for the third batch.

...I think I'm going to sneak some more right now ;)