• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Time to make a second batch.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kiba

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2014
Okay, so I already have this thread where I presumably fixed the problems I'd addressed, but now I have another problem:

I checked on my mead today, noticed that the label said 16 servings, and went "SAY WHAT? THIS IS ONLY HALF A GALLON." Then it hit me that I'd gotten a full gallon of water by mistake, because the Arrowhead gallon jug happens to be shaped like most other brands' half-gallon jugs.

It's probably not too late to buy another pound and a half of honey, add another ten raisins, and cut up another half of an orange so I can turn this batch into a full Joe's Ancient Orange, but I'm just annoyed that I'll have to buy MORE honey and water so I can make the half-gallon recipe as well.

On the plus side, I'm REALLY glad I started this up well ahead of time, instead of waiting exactly three weeks before my birthday.

Time to head to the store after class and read the labels VERY closely. Have other people have made this kind of mistake? I'm just glad that I caught it while it was still fixable.

Kiba

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2014
I added a pound and a half of Busy Bee clover honey, another half-orange, and then 10 raisins. Then I topped it all off with a cup or so of warm water to get the yeast going again.

Currently it's fizzing as usual. Relieved, but still annoyed that I need to go and buy an actual half-gallon for a new batch again.

Kiba

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2014
Just for record-keeping, I made my second batch of short mead last night (February 12, 2014). Ingredients are half an orange, half a teaspoon of yeast, and two pounds of Rita Miller Wildflower Honey. I also used warm/lukewarm water so the yeast would do better. As of this morning it's fizzing pretty well, though not quite as avidly as the full-gallon batch of JOA.

Of course, the teaspoon and a half of yeast in my JOA may mean it ends up drier than I expected, but I'll just check the taste after a month and see how it's going.

kchaystack

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2013
Lansing, MI
The amount of yeast you use will not affect how dry the mead is. The yeast will keep converting sugar until the alcohol level gets high enough to stun/kill them, the pH drops too low, or there is no sugars left.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Kiba

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2014
Oh, yay! I think someone mentioned it in my first batch's thread, but I was busy troubleshooting and I forgot about it. Thanks for the explanation!

Kiba

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 6, 2014
Ha, I know! I was just thinking about making a gallon's worth of a cyser, but I've already spent about twenty or thirty dollars on supplies for my first two batches.

I'll also see if I can buy some honey from the farmer's market for my next batches. Meadowfoam honey has REALLY great potential as a mead--it's got a warm and toasted-marshmallow flavor.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns