PDA

View Full Version : Back sweetening and over aerating

McJeff
02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
So I have an apple/pear/blackberry that fermented dry and I've been letting age for the last 3-4 months, I'm still not liking the taste of it and wanted to back sweeten it. How do I do this with out aerating too much and oxidizing?

fatbloke
02-11-2014, 12:00 AM
So I have an apple/pear/blackberry that fermented dry and I've been letting age for the last 3-4 months, I'm still not liking the taste of it and wanted to back sweeten it. How do I do this with out aerating too much and oxidizing?
It can be as basic as just stirring i.e. stabilising first, then I like to give it a day or two to settle, then adding a couple of ounces of honey per gallon and gently stirring it in - something long and thin, it can take a while as the honey often settles at the bottom, then when yer happy measure gravity and taste.

you can mix say a half pound with the same volume of water as it often mixes in quicker, but still adding a little at a time, just don't stir the bejesus out of it.

you can have a search and work out how much by weight of honey is needed to raise the gravity of the mead by X amount and actually get it in as above.......

I prefer a little and often though as I trust my tasting ability.

You might find that using honey will cloud a clear mead again, so you either have to wait for it to clear again or use finings to drop it out - which is why I prefer to set the sweetness by back sweetening before a batch clears, to a medium level (about the 1.010 to 1.015 sort of area) then clear and age it........

Oxidisation isnt a quick or instant think, think of it like rusting. As long as you treat your batch with care, keeping it topped up or with a CO2 blanket, you should be fine......

McJeff
02-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Ok there is no magic perfect way then. Ty

fatbloke
02-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Ok there is no magic perfect way then. Ty
Not really, just caution and measuring as its easy to over sweeten - I like to keep some acid handy (I used a mix of 2 parts malic 1 part tartaric) just in case I do add too much honey.......

McJeff
02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Not really, just caution and measuring as its easy to over sweeten - I like to keep some acid handy (I used a mix of 2 parts malic 1 part tartaric) just in case I do add too much honey.......

perfect thank you very much!

EJM3
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I have currently sourced and stock lactic, malic, and tartaric acids, and will be getting in some citric acid sometime soon. I know the lactic is the "softest" of the acids, but is there a preferred blend by others, or just the usual industry blend of Malic/Tartaric/&or/Citric I see on the shelves?? ?? Is there a reason that lactic acid is not usually available and/or used regularly in blends?? ??