• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bunratty Mead, Bunratty Castle, Ireland

Barrel Char Wood Products

xanderphillips

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2014
Indiana
blog.xanderp.com
I had a mead in Ireland about 3 years ago at a dinner feast at Bunratty Castle that was absolutely delicious. It was very smooth, almost velvety, with absolutely no dryness whatsoever on the tongue (which I'm not fond of).

Seems like a lot of wine to me either tastes heavy in the tannin department (usually reds), or overly dry on the tongue (mostly whites).

It was mildly sweet, not syrupy at all, but the feel in the mouth was almost slippery and gave the impression that it was thicker than it actually was.

If I can ever get a mead to be like that I will do my best to replicate that effort over and over, as it was incredible!

Xanderphillips

MourneMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
Northern Ireland
Yes, it's very nice.

It's the only meadery on the Island of Ireland (though in the Republic).

Or put it another way - it's the competition :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns