PDA

View Full Version : JAO Top Up

muerte69
02-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I have just racked my first 2 gallons of JAO and was wondering what I should use to top up the jugs with?
I am guessing water since I have no other mead to use and I don't want to restart fermentation but don't want it diluted too much.

Both gallons were made following the JAO rules with the only difference being the honey.
Batch 1 had Harris Teeter Pure Clover Honey - Made December 6th
Batch 2 had Mountain Ridge Raw Honey - Made December 12th
The Mountain Ridge was a much darker honey.
Batch 1 was made a week earlier - All but a few raisins had fallen in both by last weekend but I didn't get them racked till today.

This is the first time I have tasted them and Batch 1 it is good and well balanced to me. No burn but the alcohol is there!
Batch 2 seems a little sweeter and has a little more heat but flavor wise is good as well.

I would like to thank all of you that I have read and gained information from and since this is my first post well HELLO ALL!

Now I just need to get more airlocks and start a more traditional 2 gallons.
I have 2 packs of K1-V1116 and 2 packs of 71B-1122 waiting to be used as well as some LD Carlcon Yeast Energizer and Wyeast Wine Nutrient Blend waiting to be used...

fatbloke
02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the forums.........

Top ups can be whatever you prefer, though you've already spotted the issue with water.

honey and water shouldn't restart fermenting, as a bread yeast should have died off as it would have reached its alcohol tolerance, but of course it would make it sweeter unless you took a gravity reading and mixed honey and water to the same level......

Spirits like vodka will increase alcohol level but likely reduce both body/viscosity and sweetness - which might highlight the underlying pithy bitterness normally masked by the sweetness......

So I'm thinking maybe some white wine ? Maybe if you've got a bottle of that you could do a rough guesstimate in a glass like 4 parts JAO to 1 part W/W, stir and taste.....

something like that anyway.

or if you got both batches successfully racked, just blend them and fill as many bottles as possible ? Then just finish any left that doesn't make up a bottle........

GntlKnigt1
02-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Welcome muerte69. K1 is a good all purpose mead yeast...71B is good in melomel...

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye
02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
I like FB's last suggestion the best. Unless the taste of the blend is something you don't like. Once the fruit has dropped it's unlikely to start or make bottle bombs, BUT you should still take the necessary precautions just to make sure. Welcome!

muerte69
02-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the welcomes.
I think I will let it sit a week then just bottle as I dont want to mix them to see how each honey does overtime. I have 2 gorsch bottles and a ton of old beer bottles that I need a capper for. Thanks for the help.
Will probably start 2 identical batches using just a different yeast in each and see how they do and get a feel for each type. Then I want a gallon or two of cyser.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mannye
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Check out the BOMM threads for quick mead.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G