PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried these yeasts?

Torben
02-20-2014, 03:19 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and thanks for letting me join. My son in law and I have started making mead a year ago and we have a question on yeast.
Have you ever tried Whitelabs WLP720 Sweet mead?....and Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead?...and Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead. If so, what are your experiences? And is it overkill to use a yeast specially designed for mead?
Thank you
Torben,
Denmark

KebabBob
02-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and thanks for letting me join. My son in law and I have started making mead a year ago and we have a question on yeast.
Have you ever tried Whitelabs WLP720 Sweet mead?....and Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead?...and Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead. If so, what are your experiences? And is it overkill to use a yeast specially designed for mead?
Thank you
Torben,
Denmark

I tried 4184 for a cyser that I'm really happy with.

2g apple juice (not from concentrate)
5lb clover honey
staggered nutrients
4184 yeast

Came out great after 3-4 months.

GntlKnigt1
02-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the forum Torben. You can add your Denmark location to your profile by going to UserCP (Control Panel) and entering it from there. As an American in Netherlands, I think it is really cool to see all the international contributors to the forums here.

As for the yeasts, most of us don't have much experience with the "mead" yeasts as most companies don't publish much information about them. If you have used them, there is a section in the Forums for yeasts and it would be good to get your experiences. Most of us rely on information presented like this....
http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php

What kind of meads have you and your son in law made so far?

Torben
02-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Thx for the feedback, appreciate it.
As to your question on what my SIL and I have made so far here follows:
We have 8 tanks, total 48 gallons of experiments with rose hibs, ginger, lime, hops. We have used different kinds of yeasts....lalvins, portwine etc. In december we made a barrel of 50 gallons with Lalvin DV10 yeast on black honey. And that sure is dry. Here in March we're gonna make a new 50 gallon barrel with danish honey. We have rented space at a pigfarmers, but are looking for more sanitary accomodations...
Regards

GntlKnigt1
02-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Wow! Awesome! Big batches!

Well, if you post a recipe here, folks can advise what yeast they would use on that mead, and why.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

loveofrose
02-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Sweet Mead is a nutrient hog and is very prone to stalling out. 71B is much better as long as you rack frequently.

Dry Mead is also a nutrient hog, but if you supplement nutrients and K2CO3, it makes a nice buttery mead. Especially good with orange blossom honey.

Thomas Riisbjerg
02-20-2014, 11:56 AM

I've only used 4184 once, but I actually preferred using the fresh danish baking yeast from the supermarket.

Torben
02-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Wow! Awesome! Big batches!

Well, if you post a recipe here, folks can advise what yeast they would use on that mead, and why.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

I will, thx. It would be great with some advice. I've put up my question on Facebook too and that has started a semi heated discussion:)

Torben
02-20-2014, 05:42 PM
I've only used 4184 once, but I actually preferred using the fresh danish baking yeast from the supermarket.

Okay, thx, Thomas...I've not had the best results with baking yeast, but that must be me, I'm still a rookie..

GntlKnigt1
02-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Well, for rookies there is JAOM or Joes Ancient Orange Mead, which is a quick and simple mead that, if directions are followed, yields a nice beginners mead in about 2 months. You guys can try it, but are apparently way beyond beginner status.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

skunkboy
02-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Sweet Mead is a nutrient hog and is very prone to stalling out. 71B is much better as long as you rack frequently.

Dry Mead is also a nutrient hog, but if you supplement nutrients and K2CO3, it makes a nice buttery mead. Especially good with orange blossom honey.

I've never used that yeast before, anyone know if the "buttery" is diacetyl?

Torben
02-21-2014, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=GntlKnigt1;225383]Well, for rookies there is JAOM or Joes Ancient Orange Mead, which is a quick and simple mead that, if directions are followed, yields a nice beginners mead in about 2 months. You guys can try it, but are apparently way beyond beginner status.

Thx, we'll look that yeast up. No, we're still beginners because the outcome always takes us by surprise, we have to get hold of the basics and not just blindly mix things.
Alstublieft

GntlKnigt1
02-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Well, under the Site Map listing on the left side of this page is the NewBee Guide, which gives a lot of basic information. It also contains the recipe for JAOM. However, the main site of GotMead has been down for a few days so you won't be able to get to that until it has been fixed. I know Vicky is working at it.... Meanwhile, I recently stumbled across the original conception/posting about JAOM and you can read it in post #3 here. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8437

Then, there is Ken Schramms Book "The Compleat Meadmaker" that is a good follow up. He is a contributor here on GotMEad, has opened his own meadery near Detroit, USA, and is a judge at the Mazer Cup International. In short, a "heavy hitter" in the mead sector.

Bob1016
02-21-2014, 07:23 AM
I've never used that yeast before, anyone know if the "buttery" is diacetyl?

You have to remember that diacetyl has an almost rancid butter, or butterscotch flavor. There is a big difference between this and the "fresh butter" flavor that some yeast can provide, which actually tastes like freshly churned butter. I don't know what this yeast provides, but keep in mind that not all "butter" descriptors are diacetyl.