• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Addiction or Infection???

Barrel Char Wood Products

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Well, I am sitting here and contemplating whether mazing is an addiction or an infection, or a combination thereof. :rolleyes:

This is due to the fact that I am now contemplating, planning, scheming, plotting, devising, and implementing all that I can do with the 60 pounds of honey I am soon to acquire the first of the month... I think the Yeastie Beasties have begun inhabiting and fermenting my brain to their own ends, and only incidentally mine as well. Sneaky little wogs...

I look forward to working with them :toothy6:

Opine??

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
Well, I am sitting here and contemplating whether mazing is an addiction or an infection, or a combination thereof. :rolleyes:

This is due to the fact that I am now contemplating, planning, scheming, plotting, devising, and implementing all that I can do with the 60 pounds of honey I am soon to acquire the first of the month... I think the Yeastie Beasties have begun inhabiting and fermenting my brain to their own ends, and only incidentally mine as well. Sneaky little wogs...

I look forward to working with them :toothy6:

Opine??

It is a nice feeling when you can create and enjoy your labor. I had the same feelings when I first started mazing about 20 days ago. After the first batch started ferment, 9 days later I had another 5 gallon must fermenting. You will most likely begin to scale back once you have a stock of mead on hand, say 50-60 bottles just sitting on a wine rack.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
It is a nice feeling when you can create and enjoy your labor. I had the same feelings when I first started mazing about 20 days ago. After the first batch started ferment, 9 days later I had another 5 gallon must fermenting. You will most likely begin to scale back once you have a stock of mead on hand, say 50-60 bottles just sitting on a wine rack.

I was thinking of 5 or 6 carboys bubbling, burbling, and gurgling away, while my devious mind plots where I am going to get the bottles and corks from. Then try and sucker my partner into and intensive week of slave labor ;D

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I'm past saving as I know pretty much the batches are going to be ever growing. I'm now trying to figure out where the bulk aging freezers are going to go, back up generators in case of hurricanes, 40 gallon fermenters, a brewpub... LOL

So my vote is INFECTION.

ann2014

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2014

here's mine : a little under 3L of mead fermenting, will be less when I rack into bottles; 2 lbs of honey was used. Also I'm fermenting it in a big, plastic Ozarka water jug, still not sure how long will it take to completely stop fermenting :rolleyes:

w.png

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
here's mine : a little under 3L of mead fermenting, will be less when I rack into bottles; 2 lbs of honey was used. Also I'm fermenting it in a big, plastic Ozarka water jug, still not sure how long will it take to completely stop fermenting :rolleyes:

w.png

Depends on what yeast you have used. Typically wine yeast can take 6-8 weeks, after you rack the primary (2-3 weeks) the secondary will take 3-4 weeks. If you used beer yeast it will take shorter time.

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
I was thinking of 5 or 6 carboys bubbling, burbling, and gurgling away, while my devious mind plots where I am going to get the bottles and corks from. Then try and sucker my partner into and intensive week of slave labor ;D

Yeah, no kidding. Plenty of places will give out free bottles, even give you the boxes. The hard part is the labor involved in scraping off the old labels. My technique is pretty fast though. Take boiling water and a funnel, fill the inside of the bottle up with boiling water let it sit for a minute or two then use an ice scrape to peel it off. You'll be left with glue though, so now you have to use a green scrubby and soap or that googone crap. I might take the easy route and just buy some used wine bottles at my wine/beer store, they sell them for a dollar each, already delabeled.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I fill the bottles with hot water and then immerse the bottles in a sink full of hot water and let them soak for a while and all but the toughest glues will let the label go.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I fill the bottles with hot water and then immerse the bottles in a sink full of hot water and let them soak for a while and all but the toughest glues will let the label go.

Pretty much same here only I soak 'em in a bucket of hot soapy water in the laundry tub, bottle brush the insides while waiting for the labels to soften. I end up scraping the labels off with a spoon and then if there's residual glue, hit it with goo-gone... with the bucket, I can do several changes of bottles in the same water, as long as it's not stone cold it still works pretty well. And then when I forget about that last batch, I can take it out of the sink if it's in the way....

MourneMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 6, 2013
Northern Ireland
I soak old bottles in the hottest, slightly soapy, water I can for about 10 minutes - some lables just float off, others I have to scrape at with a knife.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I put them in a bucket with water and forget abut them for a day or two...labels usually come right off. Goo Gone takes care of any stubborn glue. Wine bottles have proven much much easier so far.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
For labels that won't come off in water, I put a paper towel around bottle and spill a bit of turpentine on it and let it sot for 10 minutes, then peel it off and use same towel to rub off the rest of the adhesive. I scrub the outside with copper kitchen scrubbing puffs, and the inside with dish soap and bottle brush and rinse three times. When ready to bottle, I rinse with sanitizer/potassium metabisulfite solution but do not rinse...leaving a small quantity of drops clinging to inside.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
For labels that won't come off in water, I put a paper towel around bottle and spill a bit of turpentine on it and let it sot for 10 minutes, then peel it off and use same towel to rub off the rest of the adhesive. I scrub the outside with copper kitchen scrubbing puffs, and the inside with dish soap and bottle brush and rinse three times. When ready to bottle, I rinse with sanitizer/potassium metabisulfite solution but do not rinse...leaving a small quantity of drops clinging to inside.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

I always worry about dish soap hanging around even after multiple rinses. Not to say I don't use it! Don't get me wrong, but I got one of those inverted bottle washing tubes that screw on the faucet to get a power rinse in there.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
Bottle acquisitions

Well I have about 20 I have saved from my recycle bin so far. And I will just have to get ready to go to a few businesses here in the Boozevarian Village. After all a downtown area of maybe 10 blocks that has 17 wine tasting rooms, and ump-teen beer gardens and full service establishments, has got to have a couple of loose bottles to snag here and there for the adventurous dumpster diver... :p

As for cleaning labels off, I either soak them off in hot water, failing that I then use "chemical" means (I have an arsenal of inorganic chemicals not on the open market to do so with if needed, but simple isopropanol works great 95% of the time), then resort to scraping and scrubbing as a last of resort due to my nerve damage.

So I guess a walk of the dog twice a day, with my empty pouch, could score me 12 bottles a day, everyday, ad infinitum...

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
Well I have about 20 I have saved from my recycle bin so far. And I will just have to get ready to go to a few businesses here in the Boozevarian Village. After all a downtown area of maybe 10 blocks that has 17 wine tasting rooms, and ump-teen beer gardens and full service establishments, has got to have a couple of loose bottles to snag here and there for the adventurous dumpster diver... :p

As for cleaning labels off, I either soak them off in hot water, failing that I then use "chemical" means (I have an arsenal of inorganic chemicals not on the open market to do so with if needed, but simple isopropanol works great 95% of the time), then resort to scraping and scrubbing as a last of resort due to my nerve damage.

So I guess a walk of the dog twice a day, with my empty pouch, could score me 12 bottles a day, everyday, ad infinitum...

Getting labels off is an all day labor event. Just get your wife or SO involved as free slave labor, if you have kids the better...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL

Bars around here were always happy to let me take as many as I wanted. Just ask during the day when it's nice and slow and I bet the first place will yield way more than you can carry. The cigarette butts are free! ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns