PDA

View Full Version : bottle conditioning with fruit

penguin5b
02-21-2014, 10:59 AM
I made a 3 gallon batch of plum braggot. I then had a crazy idea that I would bottle condition it by dropping a prune or two into each bottle. I know it would.work in theory but my question is this: how do I gauge how many prunes to use to achieve the desired level of carbonation? I love doing different things like this when brewing and since this is a special mead meant for next Christmas, I love the idea. But I would hate to have the entire batch ruined by a failed experiment.

Thanks!

mannye
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
I made a 3 gallon batch of plum braggot. I then had a crazy idea that I would bottle condition it by dropping a prune or two into each bottle. I know it would.work in theory but my question is this: how do I gauge how many prunes to use to achieve the desired level of carbonation? I love doing different things like this when brewing and since this is a special mead meant for next Christmas, I love the idea. But I would hate to have the entire batch ruined by a failed experiment.

Thanks!

Try one bottle and see how it goes. If it's going to work, it should be evident in a week or two.

Thomas Riisbjerg
02-21-2014, 12:24 PM
In time, the fruit (prune) will dissolve leaving a lot of easily disturbed sediment in the bottle that'll get disturbed as you pour. It might even serve as nucleation points for the CO2 and cause the beer to gush out of the bottle when opened.

You can carbonate with fruit if you want, but I wouldn't.

smertz001
02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't carb with the fruit itself. But Prune juice would work. I bottled my Cherry Wit with cherry juice and it turned out fantastic. Extra cherry flavouring in it. Very nice indeed.

All you need to do, is find out how much sugar is in the fruit/juice and work that math out based on the amount of sugar you want for your carb level.