PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Vintner Purée

McJeff
02-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Was getting the itch to make something else, nothing for fruit is in season and I came across Vintners( got 2 cans blackberry) purée. Anyone else use these for meads?

pokerfacepablo
02-21-2014, 08:35 PM
I used the cherry puree from Vintners in my first port recipe. They are fairly concentrated in flavor and I didn't get any off flavors with the ferment. I started freezing a lot of my berries for the winter blues so I don't buy puree anymore.

McJeff
02-22-2014, 10:15 AM
I used the cherry puree from Vintners in my first port recipe. They are fairly concentrated in flavor and I didn't get any off flavors with the ferment. I started freezing a lot of my berries for the winter blues so I don't buy puree anymore.

yeah i def will be freezing alot more next year, specially the blueberries i have in my area.
Were you happy with the cherry you used? I almost got that but i didnt want to use sweet cherries.

Honeyhog
02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't worry about the sweetness of the cherries. In the Black Cherry Melomel that I have the must fermented right down to dry and it took on more the flavour of a dry red wine than cherries but after I stabilized it I racked it onto more black cherries which sweetened it up a touch and added more fresh cherry flavour.

McJeff
02-22-2014, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about the sweetness of the cherries. In the Black Cherry Melomel that I have the must fermented right down to dry and it took on more the flavour of a dry red wine than cherries but after I stabilized it I racked it onto more black cherries which sweetened it up a touch and added more fresh cherry flavour.

interesting, ty for you for the response. Guess ill be putting that back on the to do list ;)

pokerfacepablo
02-22-2014, 08:19 PM
yeah i def will be freezing alot more next year, specially the blueberries i have in my area.
Were you happy with the cherry you used? I almost got that but i didnt want to use sweet cherries.

I didn't mind the taste but I've heard some people getting medicinal taste from the cherry stuff. I started putting my fruit mostly in the secondary. You can buy frozen cherries that have the pits removed. Dole does dark sweet cherries and blackberries as well.

McJeff
02-22-2014, 09:50 PM
How long you been leaving fruit in the secondary?

pokerfacepablo
02-22-2014, 10:42 PM
How long you been leaving fruit in the secondary?

Two weeks tops otherwise the seeds will give off flavors. I use a thick nylon bag so seeds don't escape into the mead

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GntlKnigt1
02-23-2014, 04:46 AM
Does anyone ever scroll to the bottom of these pages and look at the "Similar Threads" listings? Often there is some really useful stuff there.... like THIS thread
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6958

McJeff
02-23-2014, 06:21 AM
Haha nice!