PDA

View Full Version : Schramms book

Vance G
02-22-2014, 10:45 PM
I was re reading Mr Schramms book. I ran across his recipe for cherry Euphoria. Since I have some bags of pitted Montmorency cherries in the freezer and some 100 proof sour mash sitting around doing nothing I combined them with a couple pounds of honey. Now I am seriously wondering how much more I need to make! Is another half gallon going to be enough!

IN the refrigerator sat a quart jar half full of chopped up vanilla beans which had given to create about a gallon of really good vanilla extract. Supposed to be a mead ingredient. So I put a quart of the tart cherries in a half gallon mason jar, added the vanilla beans, a couple pounds of honey and topped it off with sour mash. I went to give it a shake after less than two days. This is absolutely sinful! It is so good I probably shouldn't have it in the house! I am supposed to wait four months before using this stuff?!

I wonder what I did with those tangerines.

GntlKnigt1
02-23-2014, 04:08 AM
Ahh yes.... sounds like party time at Vance's place....

fatbloke
02-23-2014, 04:38 AM
I was re reading Mr Schramms book. I ran across his recipe for cherry Euphoria. Since I have some bags of pitted Montmorency cherries in the freezer and some 100 proof sour mash sitting around doing nothing I combined them with a couple pounds of honey. Now I am seriously wondering how much more I need to make! Is another half gallon going to be enough!

IN the refrigerator sat a quart jar half full of chopped up vanilla beans which had given to create about a gallon of really good vanilla extract. Supposed to be a mead ingredient. So I put a quart of the tart cherries in a half gallon mason jar, added the vanilla beans, a couple pounds of honey and topped it off with sour mash. I went to give it a shake after less than two days. This is absolutely sinful! It is so good I probably shouldn't have it in the house! I am supposed to wait four months before using this stuff?!

I wonder what I did with those tangerines.
See there's often gonna be combo's of flavour we didn't expect to find isn't there......

And making what is effectively a liqueur, well its surprising what the correct mix of acids,sugars, alcohol and fruit/spice flavours can result in, even if its arrived at purely by accident/experiment.......

Top move Vance, good effort.......

Vance G
02-23-2014, 11:34 PM
The cherry is coming along nicely but the vanilla beans have already given more than I needed. Think I will strain the fruit off and reinsert the cherries. I imagine the vanilla overload will calm down a bit over time. I thought after soaking in 80 proof twice for several months the beans would be jaded. It amazes me the beans still had that much to give. I did have to find a recipe for chocolate covered cherries, but I need to stem them some way.