PDA

View Full Version : Newbee guide

Benny
03-01-2014, 12:01 AM
I am new to mead and I would like to make a batch. I am having trouble getting to the newbee guide. Any suggestions?

mannye
03-01-2014, 12:08 AM
I am new to mead and I would like to make a batch. I am having trouble getting to the newbee guide. Any suggestions?

I think the site is under repair. Do a search for JAOM. It's the easiest mead to make and it will guarantee a very tasty end product the first time.

Then after you've made the JAOM, move up to BOMM (search for it).

JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) is by far the easiest mead for a first timer needing nothing special to make. You can find everything for it at your local grocery store and it's really good. You don't even need an airlock! Just a balloon with a few pinpricks in it and an empty one gallon bottle of wine (glass preferred but even a plastic milk gallon will do in a pinch.

Then once you're addicted to mead from drinking that first glass of delicious JAOM, you're ready to go get some more advanced stuff like nutrients and specialty yeast and make BOMM.

Here is the link to your first recipe...so easy you don't even need the newbie guide..

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885&highlight=Joe%27s+Ancient+Orange

fatbloke
03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
The NewBee guide link is defaulting to the forums front page so I guess Vicky is still sorting the repairs to the main site (which is where the guide usually lives - as I understand it).....

danr
03-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Yes, as mannye and fatbloke noted, the GotMead main site is currently under repairs. I think mannye gave excellent advice for you to start with a batch of JAOM.

Hopefully the site will be back up soon, but one other thing that you might consider regardless is buying a book. Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker (http://www.amazon.com/The-Compleat-Meadmaker-Production-Award-winning/dp/0937381802/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393694847&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=the+copleat+meadmaker) seems to be widely considered one of the best resources on mead making for newbees and experienced meadmakers alike. I bought it online, but have also since found it at local homebrew shops.

Benny
03-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Thank you all!