• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Raspberry mead and sediment

Barrel Char Wood Products

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
My recipie was as follows

3 gallons total
about 8 lbs honey, and 4.5 lbs fresh raspberries that I blended up in a magic bullet pretty well

the pulp and honey worked out to be about 1.5 gallons, plus 1.5 gallons of water to fill the carboy

does anyone know how much will settle out in a few weeks? I'm trying to guess how much mead I will actually yield vs. sediment

I'm kind of new to this, and the raspberries worked out to be pretty thick. I'm hoping i wont have a gallon of junk at the bottom in a few weeks

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
If you blended some fruit in the primary - it may be a good idea to use some Pectinase
way ahead of you there, and yeast nutrient..forgot to mention that
my question is how much of the raspberry pulp will settle out. it was about a gallon worth of pretty thick pulp when i poured it in

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
well with my rspberry, 99% of it settled out, had a few pesky seeds and other crap that hung around the dop and i couldnt rack out. ended up filter the batch and it was fine. So yes i had a few floaters.

ryanshanaman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 19, 2014
well with my rspberry, 99% of it settled out, had a few pesky seeds and other crap that hung around the dop and i couldnt rack out. ended up filter the batch and it was fine. So yes i had a few floaters.
So when you say 99% you mean I will probably have almost a gallon worth of sediment in the end?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns