PDA

View Full Version : How much psi should i carb my first mead test batch at

McJeff
03-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Generic info says normal beers are 8-12psi, I was thinking 10 to play it safe see how it comes out. Any pointers?

fatbloke
03-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Generic info says normal beers are 8-12psi, I was thinking 10 to play it safe see how it comes out. Any pointers?
read quite a few threads on it, don't know for certain as I don't have any kegging kit....yet!

30 psi seems to ring a bell - don't take my word for it, that's just from memory. Chilling it and rolling the keg also seem to be coming from the memory data bank......

Have a search though, I think you should be able to find enough detail to get it done OK.....

kchaystack
03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I am sure the guys at your lhbs can also give you some pointers.

Yay mead!

mannye
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Make it cold and put 10 pounds and in a week or so you will be golden. Dial it back to 5 or less (depends on your particular situation..you'll know it's right when it stops spewing nothing but foam). Drink it!

fatbloke
03-09-2014, 03:57 AM
I am sure the guys at your lhbs can also give you some pointers.

Yay mead!
Alas not all HBS are created equal......

A lot of them don't know sh1t from shianola....... especially when it comes to meads.....

They often know a fair bit about wines and beers, but meads are different enough for them to consider that just a pack of EC-1118 and some nutrient will work wonders.....

It won't........ but they don't know or understand that. To them, it's the same as a grape must, but with more fermentable sugars......

GntlKnigt1
03-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Yes....the misinformation is worse than no information, which compels you to do your own research. With bad info, you go on your merry way completely oblivious.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

McJeff
03-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Make it cold and put 10 pounds and in a week or so you will be golden. Dial it back to 5 or less (depends on your particular situation..you'll know it's right when it stops spewing nothing but foam). Drink it!

yeah, thats about what i was goin to do and see how i like it from there.

I have no faith in in my local home brew store. If he isnt drunk he is high and niether time is he all that pleasant. On top of the wine he makes sucks.

bernardsmith
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
What's the conversion factor between quantities of sugar, volumes of CO2 and PSI. One oz of fermentable sugar per gallon will result in good carbonation - but I don't know how many PSI that is (I don't force carbonate).

kuri
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
What's the conversion factor between quantities of sugar, volumes of CO2 and PSI. One oz of fermentable sugar per gallon will result in good carbonation - but I don't know how many PSI that is (I don't force carbonate).

The relation isn't straightforward. It depends on temperature as well as on how long something has been kept at that temperature. Jim Palmer, in his online book "How to Brew", has a very nice nomograph for predicting how many volumes of CO2 you'll get by starting at a given temperature and adding a given amount of sugar. The temperature basically affects how much CO2 will already be in solution, with more CO2 dissolved the colder it is. A fixed PSI will similarly give you more carbonation at a lower temperature. Sorry I can't help with conversion factors between volumes of CO2 -- how it's measured when priming beer -- and PSI -- how it's measured for force-carbing.

kudapucat
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
It really depends on the brew you have.
I would follow Mannye's suggestion, and load it to 10psi.
Taste it. Too bubbly? Too dry? Unload a bit.
Sickly sweet? Go a bit harder.

The 4 week apple cyser benefits from about 18-20 PSI if I remember correctly.
A dryer JAO (1.015) takes a light spritz well, I'm guessing 4-5 PSI.