PDA

View Full Version : melomel

moridin
03-11-2014, 02:02 AM
after letting fruit sit inthe primary for a lil while and its time to take it out, do i squeeze or no squeeze? Not sure if it is necessary or what you guys think. Cheers

moridin
03-11-2014, 02:11 AM
i might as well give some background for the question. Last year i made a raspberry melomel, my flavour was right were i wanted it and i decided to squeeze out the berries before i took them out and then it became extremely raspberry-y. Now when tasting the mead it is almost more of a raspberry wine than a raspberry mead. Not the end of the world the flavour is great, and its bone dry so i plan on back sweetening with honey to add back that character. This year i am going to be making Ken Schramms Mambo in your mouth variation, and i wasn't sure if i should squeeze them or just let the liquid seep out? Anyways thanks in advance for any advice

kudapucat
03-11-2014, 04:36 AM
It can oxidise the batch. I often press the fruit into a small bottle. It's often very good, but I choose not to contaminate the main batch.

ostensibly
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I don't have a ton of experience but I've made melomels both ways - just removing the spent fruit and squeezing the spent fruit. I haven't noticed an appreciable difference between squeezing or not.

GntlKnigt1
03-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Depends on how much fruit per gallon....that's where a previously made recipe, done by others, is useful.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Baps
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Excuse my ignorance but, what is exactly is melomel?

MourneMead
03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
A melomel is a mead that uses fruit as part of the sugar source - or at least has fruit infused into it as part of the process of making it. Basicially a fruit flavoured mead.

There are lots of unusual words for different types of mead.

Baps
03-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Oh. Well that's easy enough :) thanks!

kudapucat
03-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Wikipedia is quite well versed on the different terms. I think it lists 30 or more.
Take a look at their article on mead.

Baps
03-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Ah thanks :) also, what did the light horse do again? My welsh is terrible.

kudapucat
03-13-2014, 03:59 PM
The pale horse rides again.

My welsh is non-existent. Thanks for letting me know google translate works.

Kudapucat is 'pale horse' in Indonesian (a language I do actually speak)

GntlKnigt1
03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Cool re speaking Indonesian. It was a Dutch colony for a long time and had a big impact on the culture up here.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

kudapucat
03-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Indeed it was: including the anathema of wearing shorts. (You used to get lynched)

GntlKnigt1
03-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Indeed it was: including the anathema of wearing shorts. (You used to get lynched)

In Holland or in Indonesia? I know that shorts aren't really popular here, but then, average high temp in June and July is 22 C or 72 F, so not really that hot compared to Chicago...

Stasis
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
If the same precautions against oxidizing are taken when squeezing the fruit and adding the juice as when you are regularly topping off shouldn't you be ok? Instead of topping off as normal you are using the juice you squeezed

kudapucat
03-16-2014, 05:34 AM
The act of squeezing tends to aerate the liquid.

Shorts in Indo were taboo, for a while because the Dutch occupiers all wore shorts. It was seen as a symbol of oppression.
Poor buggers were so excited when the Japs kicked them out... Little did they know the Dutch East India Company were the lesser of two evils.

mannye
03-16-2014, 10:24 AM
No shorts eh? Strange the things people fixate on when they are unhappy. My wife hates Volkswagens because this asshole boss she had drove one. To this day she refuses to even consider owning one.

I've never made a melomel but I would be very concerned about oxidation if I squeezed after fermentation. Of course, I have no clue about that. But if I had a canister of carbon dioxide, I would certainly blow a blanket into a large bucket and squeeze in there...but that's me and I'm paranoid of oxygen. Plus all the thousands that have made mels will probably know just what to do.

GntlKnigt1
03-18-2014, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't worry about oxidation from the squeezed fruit. You really have to try a lot harder than that to get it to oxidize. You will be fine, Stasis. It's nice to have someone from Malta here..

Stasis
03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about oxidation from the squeezed fruit. You really have to try a lot harder than that to get it to oxidize. You will be fine, Stasis. It's nice to have someone from Malta here..

I wasn't too worried since my mead has maybe one chopped up fruit per gallon as I haven't made a melomel yet (and I don't think I will, but who knows?)
I intend to make prickly pear wine but I intend to squeeze the fruit in our wine press before fermentation (that fruit has way too much seeds and pulp) and probably use cane sugar to boost the alcohol level just a bit. Honey might not be worth it because I calculated I will use just 3-4lbs per 5 Gallon batch and the taste will not get through anyway.
Thanks Gntlknigt1! :) Sometimes it gets intimidating as I have to use ingredients and equipment which are slightly different than those vastly used by members of these forums. Luckily I enjoy to experiment a bit

GntlKnigt1
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
The available products vary from one country to another, but sound principles are universal. I have taken to saying...Add xyz per manufacturers instructions......a lot more than I used to.

Baps
03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
The pale horse rides again.

My welsh is non-existent. Thanks for letting me know google translate works.

Kudapucat is 'pale horse' in Indonesian (a language I do actually speak)

Why use welsh if you don't speak it? Are you from here originally? Just curious.

kudapucat
03-20-2014, 05:23 PM
I was always told we came from Wales.
Doing some research, the patriarchal line goes back to Lancashire. So I don't know how true that is.
I guess I just liked the feel.

Baps
03-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Welsh people get all over the place. You go to any country and you're bound to find a Welshman. Or woman. Maybe your family was one of those travellers :)

mannye
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
I was always told we came from Wales.
Doing some research, the patriarchal line goes back to Lancashire. So I don't know how true that is.
I guess I just liked the feel.

Ha! I don't know why that reminded me of the Top Gear episode where your Aussie Top Gear hosts were greeted at Heathrow by paddy wagons. That was pretty funny. And the hosts were really good sports about it too.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G