PDA

View Full Version : Aging Mead

OCorcain
03-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Hello,

I am new to mead and im currently making my 2nd batch. The first batch was a pure honey mead and bottled after 3 months to age. The batch I am making now has just been racked off some blackberries and i am wondering in what form and for how long to age it?

The recipe and actions so far are as follows;

3lbs Clover Honey
3ltrs Sulfolk Cider
1ltre water
2tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
Lavin 1118
Total Volume 1Gallon(UK)

OG: 1102 (23rd Jan)
25 Feb: Good handful of Blackberries added + 1/2 tsp pectolase (SG 1032)
11 March racked to clean demijohn SG 1020

GntlKnigt1
03-11-2014, 04:46 PM
The general rule of thumb is 1 month for each % of alcohol. Your mileage may vary. For quick mead, try a JAOM. For really quick, try Brays One Month Mead, or BOMM. Use the search function to find either recipe

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Honeyhog
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I've found my melomels have been very drinkable after about 4 months or so and I have a black cherry one with an ABV of 17.5% and it's not too sweet with a SG of 1.013. They will definitely get better with more time but I would give it a taste after 4 months.

GntlKnigt1
03-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Would you agree that there is a significant shift in flavor between 2 months and 8 months? And a less marked change thereafter?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Honeyhog
03-11-2014, 11:30 PM
I am new and my oldest mead, a blackberry traditional, is now finally tasting awesome at 8 months although I likely hadn't tasted it since it was 3 months old. I made it on my birthday last summer and I plan on drinking the first bottle on my birthday this summer so I'll be able to let you know then.

skunkboy
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Most do improve with age, some better than others. Although like with wine, there is a dropping off point, and things start to degrade, although that seems to be pretty far out there for most of the meads I've had, as long as you like the occasional sherry note...

OCorcain
03-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks Guys,

I guess I should just batch age it and taste it every few months to see how its going.