PDA

View Full Version : Warm Climate Fermentation

SirMeadaLot
03-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Hello everyone,

Very soon mead maker here, I currently live in the very cool(sarcasm) state of Arizona. Does anyone have expirence as the best places to keep the batch when it has started. Like pantry or closet? I plan to purchase a temp gauge and move it through my house to find a optimal zone as well.
Also is there a good dry mead yeast that can handle 80F? (this is what my A.C. is usually set to in the summer):cool:

Thanks,

P.O.

GntlKnigt1
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
K1 is going to be your friend....
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lalvin-wine-yeasts-5-grams-k1v-1116-montpellier.html

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye
03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
wyeast 1388 as well.

SirMeadaLot
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Thank you for the yeast tips! Ill be stocking up on these for sure.
My other question in my process would be if I'm going to make 5 gallons of mead but I only have room for 1 gallon carboys in my pantry, Would it be safer to make 5 individual batches of mead or one 5 gallon racked into 1 gallon carboys? (1st option may be tedious but quality is more of concern than convenience)

Thank again

P.O.

mannye
03-12-2014, 10:04 PM
It's much easier to make one 5 gallon primary and rack into one gallon secondary. The 5 one gallons won't age the same, but I think it will be close enough. Although I do recommend sticking to one gallon batches until you have a few under your belt.

SirMeadaLot
03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Yes I agree with you completly :)
I would like to start with 1 JOAM and if that does well then maybe try BOMM just to get some mead quicker than normal :p
Once I get my starting supplies I will be posting the progress and "stats" of my first batch.
My Bday is the last day of the Mazer cup and ironically that looks to be the day im going to start making my mead.