PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation done in 5 days?!?!?!?!

reese27k
03-13-2014, 12:41 AM
Hello. I'm new to mead making. I've been doing 1 gallon batches and I'm on my 5th one. I ruined my first one (lesson learned). I think I made vinegar that time. >:( Anyway, my other ones seem to be doing fine. The other day I started a batch using just under 3 pounds of raw Orange Blossom with 32 oz of pure Trader Joe's blueberry juice. I used 71b-1122 yeast and was going to stagger the nutrient and energizer additions over 3 days. The first day I added 1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/4 tsp of energizer. The OG was at just under 15% potential alcohol. It started showing signs of fermentation over the next couple hours. The next morning it was going like crazy. I skipped a day to add more nutrient and energizer. I checked the gravity and it was almost at 10%. I was surprised cuz that seemed fast. I decided to just add the rest of the nutrient and energizer then. Anyway, today is the 5th day and I checked the gravity and it is right at 0. Is this normal? Has anyone ever had a mead ferment that fast? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks in advance.

GntlKnigt1
03-13-2014, 02:24 AM
Crazy, but yes, it happens sometimes

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

fatbloke
03-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Whether by accident or design, well balanced fermentation can often finish quickly.

Which of course, doesn't mean it'll be ready to drink any quicker, but I'd say still look on it as a bonus......

reese27k
03-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys.