PDA

View Full Version : Thanks everybody!

rejjr7
03-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Brand new to the awesomeness that is Mead making. Started a 1.5 gallon batch of JMAO and am really really excited to see/smell/taste the results. Its a week in and bubbling right along.

Years ago I used to "brew" biodiesel, and as beautiful as the end result was I couldn't pour it in a glass and enjoy it so I'm really excited about this new hobby!

I'm impatient enough that I've decided to start a second batch using Joe's 5 week grape recipe, I'll probably do that this weekend. Thanks to everyone for all the great information here on the site, can't wait until the site improvements are all finished.

A quick question, do you guys ever taste the must as its progressing?

Thanks!
Ralph

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w456/REJInspections/photo.jpg

wayneb
03-13-2014, 10:24 PM
I do, with every batch, just to see how things are progressing. But I wouldn't recommend it for a JAO since part of Joe's warranty is to leave it completely alone. ;) But seriously if you do taste along the way, don't expect awesomeness along the way. In-process meads don't always taste "fully integrated," or for that matter very pleasant.

mannye
03-13-2014, 11:59 PM
What Wayne is trying to say in a very diplomatic way is that in-process meads (in general...there are exceptions, but JAOM isn't one of them) taste like... how can I describe this...

That's the ticket.