PDA

View Full Version : Mixing juice/water with mead?

Kiba
03-14-2014, 09:34 PM
So it turns out my birthday party is having a lot more potential attendants than expected--fifteen confirmed and at least a few more maybes, so a gallon of mead might not be enough in case people want more than a cup each. Is it okay if I mix my mead with juice or water? Not a lot, just two or three cups per half-gallon (one half-gallon is orange mead, the other is a cyser).

mannye
03-14-2014, 11:04 PM
I would tread carefully. A bland (Freudian slip) like that might be OK, but it also might ruin the mead. It's like comedy. Leave them wanting more. Except I'm not being funny.

It's way better to have your guests get a sample that's as good as can be vs. a watered down possible abortion.

Of course, if you try making proportional cocktails by the glass rather than "blanding" (ooooooooo I made a pun) the whole batch with water or juice, that might extend it, but I would strongly advise against it.

Kiba
03-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Yeah, we did buy some Belgian ale and we have soda/juice/water on standby because we know that not everyone is going to want one type of drink.

The main issue is that we both have WAY more "Game of Thrones" fans in our circles than we anticipated. :P Basically, we expected ten at most and a few days after we sent invites, we got that many.

On the other hand, this gives me great incentive to make tons of mead the next time I throw a GOT party. :D

fatbloke
03-15-2014, 03:10 AM
You should be making it now and not 10 minutes before you want it.....

Good meads take time......

Kiba
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
I only asked this hypothetically--I'm not going to run off and dump apple/orange juice into my mead just because I want more of it. Also, my party is on the 22nd, not tomorrow. Please don't assume I don't have common sense.

MourneMead
03-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I made the meads last month and they're in the fridge clearing up. The only problem now is that I underestimated the amount of guests, not that I don't have enough time. Please don't assume I don't have common sense.

What yeast did you use?

Kiba
03-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Bread yeast, since it was a JOA recipe. So far both half-gallons taste really nice. Also, sorry for editing my post.

MourneMead
03-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Half gallons will disappear very quickly. Im still new at mead and I already think gallons (imperial) are too small to bother with for the primary. I hope it cold crashes well for you.

danr
03-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I only asked this hypothetically--I'm not going to run off and dump apple/orange juice into my mead just because I want more of it.

Then your instinct is correct; don't do it. I agree completely with mannye's response.

I only asked this hypothetically--I'm not going to run off and dump apple/orange juice into my mead just because I want more of it. Also, my party is on the 22nd, not tomorrow. Please don't assume I don't have common sense.

I don't think fatbloke thought you were really going to start 10 minutes before. His advise is good. Unless you are going to limit yourself to JAOM or BOMM, now would be a good time to start a large batch of mead for your birthday next year.

Kiba
03-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Oh, no problem. It's just hard to not think that when I'm going off of two sentences. :p

mannye
03-15-2014, 06:10 PM
What you should do is read up on BOMM and start a 5 gallon batch as soon as possible. Have a party for the last episode of this GOT season which if I remember my cable season length should be 6 to 8 weeks maybe even 10 weeks. That gives you plenty of time to get a good clear excellent mead ready. Make it with Orange Blossom and you will have a mead perfect for some pulled pork or bacon and bread or other throne type food. It goes especially well with pulled pork. Look for Emeril Lagasse's pulled pork sandwiches with horseradish slaw. I have people threatening physical violence if I don't invite them over when I make it.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Sounds awesome manny. Send me a pulled pork sandwich when you ship me the marinade sample...Grin

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
03-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Ha! Here is YOUR BOMM. Take a look at the temp! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/18/5a2eqa7u.jpg

I think my thermometer has gone nuts. It's nowhere near 80 (27c) iny house right now.

MourneMead
03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting a picture of that BOMM. It looks exactly like mine - which is reassuring - I hope :).

When do you expect it to clear?

mannye
03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for posting a picture of that BOMM. It looks exactly like mine - which is reassuring - I hope :).

When do you expect it to clear?

I never expect it to clear completely. I mean, it would clear if I waited months and months but that's not the point of BOMM. I use a cold crash, rack then Super Kleer on it after it gets to where I want it (either .990 or 1.020 depending on what I am making) then I filter into bottles.

Medsen Fey
03-18-2014, 03:18 PM
...Is it okay if I mix my mead with juice or water? Not a lot, just two or three cups per half-gallon (one half-gallon is orange mead, the other is a cyser).

I sometimes use mead as a base for sangria (or clericot). I dilute with water or juice (I'm partial to white-grape/peach combination) by about 50% so I wind up with an abv of around 7%. Then I sweeten with sugar until it tastes good. I then slice up and toss in fresh fruit - whatever is in the fridge (banana, grapes, strawberry, citrus fruit, kiwi, or anything in season). It can make some less-than-stellar mead taste good and can make some good mead go twice as far in a wine-cooler-like beverage.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Kiba
03-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Okay, thanks for everyone's replies! I think I'm just going to leave it as is for now, since we're not relying on the mead as a centerpiece (we have ale, wine, water, and soda). Plus, despite not clearing up, they both still look and taste pretty damn good. I have a picture in my mead log of the two half-gallons--definitely going to spring for 5 gallons of JOA mead in my next themed party. If there's any left over then, it means more for me. :)