PDA

View Full Version : Mango mead recipe idea/thoughts

Liekos
03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Hello,

So while I get a separate 5 gallon of JAOM rolling, I'm also really curious to try a 1 gallon Mango recipe mostly just from imagination. Does the below sound awful/insane? Any problems to consider?

I'm curious to mess around with pink peppercorns, which are supposed to compliment mango..but frankly I've never used them yet, so I could just be talking out of my ass (I'll have to taste test when they get delivered). I probably just sound like a jackass for watching too many cooking shows on TV..

I was also looking at aiming for 1.5 gallons of must so that over rackings I can get to a full 1 gallon carboy (planning for up to .5 gallon loss).

Starting in Primary 5 gallon fermentation bucket:

4-5 lbs honey
2-5 pink peppercorns (?? need to taste test)
2 pounds mango (without skins??)
water up to 1.5 gallon mark
1/2 packet of K1-V1116 yeast (or should I use an entire packet?)

Ferment in bucket for 12 days, then rack off to another 5 gallon fermentation bucket with:

2 pounds mango (without skins??) + 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 vanilla bean

Then after 7 days in secondary, rack to a final 1 gallon glass carboy and wait and wait..

Any thoughts/opinions? Is it weird to go from bucket -> bucket -> carboy?

MJ7
03-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Mango skins are super piney in flavor, so I would highly recommend not using them unless you are going for a gin flavor.

Liekos
03-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Ok good point, so skinless it is..

Medsen Fey
03-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Mango creates tons of pulp and so you should make at least 2 gallons if you want to end up with 1 because the racking losses are big. With a high alcohol content if you leave it sitting with a lot of pulp, you'll probably wind up with it to tannic to be really smooth. Keep the pit (seed) out too or bitterness will be worse.