PDA

View Full Version : We are hooked on Gotmead!

sdrilling
03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Until last November, we had zero experience making wine or mead. We have faithfully executed the instructions from the Newbie Guide on Gotmead and suggestions found in the Newbie Posts and Patron Forums about staggered nutrients, aeration and good temperature control, etc and currently have a dozen fruit meads in various stages in our basement lab.

The very FIRST batch we created this past November is a (1) gallon dark cherry using montrachet red yeast, frozen dark cherries from sams and some Knudson dark cherry juice. The FG is 1.010 with 13.2%. It came out surprisingly good and cleared on its own after twelve weeks.

We did not back-sweeten nor use a fining agent.

On a lark, we entered a bottle in the February 2014 Missouri Valley Wine Society competition (370 entries from across the US and Canada) --- our mead scored a bronze!! It will be interesting to see what it takes like in a year -- we bottled the rest in splits and put back one to try in 2015.

Needless to say..... we are hooked on Gotmead!

GntlKnigt1
03-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Congratulations! We all get addicted to mead making, but we haven't figured out a name yet for the affliction. Sounds like you have come down with it. Welcome to the club

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

wayneb
03-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Outstanding! Congratulations, and I'm glad that our humble efforts to disseminate info about meadmaking have helped you out!

Giving more thought to the name for that affliction, perhaps something like Mazerosis is apropos. While strictly speaking that refers to a disorder having to do with wooden cups rather than meadmaking, meaderosis just doesn't have the same ring to it! ;)

mannye
03-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Ha! I like it. Mazerosis. Gets my vote.

skunkboy
03-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Woot! Congrats!

fuelish
03-18-2014, 02:14 AM
I can relate, but think the diagnosis should end in -mania as opposed to -osis ...just a random thought over a glass of peach pyment, here :cool:

GntlKnigt1
03-18-2014, 05:24 AM
LOL. Mazerosis....very good. Still needs a word/adjective....like Compulsive Mazerosis disorder, or Honey Fermentus Mazerosis (HFM)

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye
03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Chronic Mazerosis.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

joemirando
03-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Ostensible Mazerosis Grandis (OMG)

GntlKnigt1
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Well, do we have enough ideas to set up a poll for voting, or should we get a few more first?

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Let's see how you make a poll. :)

GntlKnigt1
03-19-2014, 04:53 PM
You see it mannye?

mannye
03-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Yep. I will be sending you my poll in a couple of days. Watching Man U destroy the Olympiacos right now.