PDA

View Full Version : bulk aging

Dirty Steve
03-16-2014, 02:56 PM
when it comes to bulk aging in a carbo should I have an airlock on it or just a normal stopper. I'm not to that point yet but want to get the game plan down.

MourneMead
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
If you're sure the fermentation has stopped a solid bung will do. If it hasn't quite stopped you'll be gathering them up from the floor :)

mannye
03-16-2014, 04:25 PM
That's one way to find out though isn't it? I put a solid bung in there... if it gets pushed up, then I put an airlock. Of course, all this talk of "aging" is interesting sine I usually drink it all before there's a chance for it to do this aging thing you speak of.

Dirty Steve
03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Going to be deployed for 4 months so I'll let it age during that time. It will help make the time pass faster. Or that's the goal at least.

TheAlchemist
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Going to be deployed for 4 months so I'll let it age during that time. It will help make the time pass faster. Or that's the goal at least.

Keep thee safe.

mannye
03-17-2014, 11:29 PM

x2 on the stay safe! If you have them, airlocks won't hurt, but they could maybe dry out. Fill them all the way (to the recommended level) and put cling wrap on the top then punch some pin holes in the cling wrap. That will reduce the rate of evaporation and should get you through.

Riverat
03-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Use mineral / baby oil in the airlock, just don't overfill so temp / pressure changes can't pull any oil in, never dry out.

mannye
03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Use mineral / baby oil in the airlock, just don't overfill so temp / pressure changes can't pull any oil in, never dry out.

Oooooo. That's even better. But for craps sake be careful when you pull the bung off. That has been known to suck fluid down into the vessel if you "pop" it off.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Riverat
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Oooooo. That's even better. But for craps sake be careful when you pull the bung off. That has been known to suck fluid down into the vessel if you "pop" it off.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Ferser, most airlocks have a line on them that is the max fluid level, that is the fluid can't get sucked into the vessel if not filled above that line.

Medsen Fey
03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
You can also use glycerin in the airlock which can be found at most pharmacies. It won't hurt the mead if it gets sucked back and it won't evaporate.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

mannye
03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Ferser, most airlocks have a line on them that is the max fluid level, that is the fluid can't get sucked into the vessel if not filled above that line. Tell that to 22 year old me when I pulled the top off my ferment bucket and the nasty liquid in the airlock was ALL sucked into the wort. That was an S type...maybe the three piece canister types are safer.

kuri
03-19-2014, 05:20 AM
Tell that to 22 year old me when I pulled the top off my ferment bucket and the nasty liquid in the airlock was ALL sucked into the wort. That was an S type...maybe the three piece canister types are safer.

No, the three piece canister types are not safer. Should be, but in practice they aren't.