PDA

View Full Version : Best time to rack?

Dirty Steve
03-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Right now I'm getting one bubble to every 15 sec. Should I rack it to my carbo? It's hasn't even been in my fermention bucket for 2 weeks yet.

GntlKnigt1
03-19-2014, 03:18 AM
You don't need to rack mead like beer. What is your SG?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

fatbloke
03-19-2014, 03:33 AM
As Doug says, rack when it's ready but you'll need a gravity reading to know that......

Dirty Steve
03-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Reading is 1.01. Started at 1.095.

GntlKnigt1
03-19-2014, 12:36 PM
At 1.010, I would prescribe patience unless you want to stabilize it at this semi dry level

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Medsen Fey
03-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Although you can rack at this time, I usually wait until it is finished and the gravity appears stable.

sent from my THINGAMABOB with WHATCHAMACALLIT

joemirando
03-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Right now I'm getting one bubble to every 15 sec. Should I rack it to my carbo? It's hasn't even been in my fermention bucket for 2 weeks yet.

I would not rack until your fermentation is almost over. Its tempting to rack every time there's an eighth of an inch of lees on the bottom, but you lose a lot of mead that way. What I do now is to wait until my SG is very close to where I want it. That way, if it stalls, I'm still in the ballpark. Unless its taking months and months, I would not worry about racking until its allllllllllmost done.

Joe

Dirty Steve
03-21-2014, 02:37 PM
racked today. still cloudy. got a little taste. blackberry taste not really there. wasn't dry or sweet. but I am thinking I'll add about 2 vanilla beans split and a half bottle of unsweetened blackberry juice. wish I knew how to add photo so I could show you all a photo. maybe I'll figure it out later tonight at home on the iPad.