PDA

View Full Version : Regarding JAOM and D-47

Dick_Demon
03-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Greetings,

Today I will be re-racking my 3-gallon JAOM into two 1-gallon secondary carboys.

I followed the original recipe to a T, except I used Lalvin D-47 as the yeast. I know it will taste pithy. I want to rack off the lees after 3 weeks in primary, to salvage it from total pithyness. It still bubbles once every ~10 seconds. I will have airlocks on the (two) secondary 1-gallon carboys.

My question is - Should I use any additional nutrients/additives whatsoever? Perhaps to clear the must (it is very opaque) or for any other reason?

Thanks for any advice!

fatbloke
03-19-2014, 04:16 PM
You'd probably have been better placed if you'd let it finish and then back sweetened it incrementally until there was enough sweetness to mask the pithy bitter taste.......

apart from that you wouldn't generally add nutrients after about the 1/3rd sugar break, but wheres that actually gonna be ?

GntlKnigt1
03-20-2014, 02:57 PM
I agree with Fatbloke....you voided the warranty on JAOM when you used D47. Best option now is to let it ferment dry, then rack it into a pail ,mix in honey to backsweeten and then add some super Kleer to get it clarified.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
What is it about us newbies that makes us want to throw D-47 into JAOM? I still have my packet of D-47 sitting in the freezer after I was beaten senseless by fatbloke for even suggesting its use!

Funny how every newb wants that D-47! Including me!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1
03-20-2014, 06:20 PM
I think they teach that at beer brewing school....LOL

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

joemirando
03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
What is it about us newbies that makes us want to throw D-47 into JAOM? I still have my packet of D-47 sitting in the freezer after I was beaten senseless by fatbloke for even suggesting its use!

Funny how every newb wants that D-47! Including me!

Not me. MY problem was cutting down on the honey because I usually prefer dry wines.
That first batch is just becoming drinkable now.

Joe

EJM3
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
I chose the D47 for it's described properties. Especially the lower temp fermenting, and the ability/possibility to leave the mead on the lees for extended times for things like Sur Lie & Batonnage. Plus it seems to be the most ubiquitous one out there. I am planing on ordering D47, K1V, RC212, 71B and QA23, That way I have something on hand for nearly any and everything.

As for the bread yeast. I get 900g (weirdo Americans can't even measure things correctly!!!) of Fleischmanns about twice a year for making breads, etc. And now I just boil up a Tbsp or two as yeast nutrient. I tried the bread yeast on a couple of small scale experiments. Yes it produced the alcohol, BUT the taste and texture are very different from a yeast specifically selected for this purpose...

And as for the nutrient additions, it's a bit late for that, unless you are getting sulphur smells from the ferment, then something like yeast hulls, or my favorite: boiled bread yeast. I am still very new to all of this, so maybe someone else with more experience under their belts could chime in ?? ??

mannye
03-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Not me. MY problem was cutting down on the honey because I usually prefer dry wines.
That first batch is just becoming drinkable now.

Joe

Resurrecting an onld thread to compliment my "dry JAO" thread. I'm casting about for the results of aging a dry jaom several years and if it's worth the wait. What finally happened with this batch...is it better now? Should I make a batch of D-47 JAOM?

brentG
03-22-2015, 11:50 PM
My first batch of mead was a JAOM with D47! lol. I've still got a few bottles. It's not terrible.
I think it's common because there's a YouTube video that makes it that way. I followed that before stumbling onto this place.

Medsen Fey
03-23-2015, 06:20 AM
D47 can work with Joe's recipe because both it and bread yeast tend to go no more than 14%. With only some raisins and an orange, D47 may get a little hungry along the way. To make a dry mead from Joe's you need a Champagne yeast (or something with a high ABV tolerance).

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

EJM3
03-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Or drop a bit of honey off the list, getting it to say 1.120 or 1.110 should get some interesting results...

Medsen Fey
03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Definitely. If you keep the ABV down, it will make a better dry batch (IMO).

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

mannye
03-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Excellent. I guess a lower ABV also means much more adherence to sanitation and anti-oxidation protocols Good thing I can flip my beer switch on! Soon as I finish the remodel I'm going for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk