PDA

View Full Version : Too strong a taste of orange zest

Mikeymu
03-21-2014, 02:28 PM
The recipe was Royal Metheglin (1 gallon)

Ingredients
3 lbs. (1.4 kg) honey
3 tsp. (15 g) fresh rosemary leaves
3 tsp. (15 g) fresh thyme leaves
3 tsp. (15 g) orange zest
3 tsp. (15 g) lemon zest
3 fresh sage leaves
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. (5 g) dried hyssop
4 allspice berries
6 cloves
3 tsp. (15 g) fresh ginger, chopped
2 bags Earl Grey tea
1 tsp. (5 g) pectic enzyme
1 tsp. (5 g) acid blend
1-1/2 cups (360 mL)
orange juice
1 package Montrachet yeast (5 to 7 g)
1 tsp. (5 g) yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp. (about 1 g) grape tannin
1 campden tablet

Method
Boil the honey in water (1 part honey to 2 parts water) in a large non-reactive pot for 10 to 20 minutes, skimming off the foam. When the foam stops rising, add herbs and spices. Cool and transfer to a two-gallon plastic container. Brew the tea by steeping in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the tea to the honey mixture along with the acid, the pectic enzyme and water to make a gallon. Add the campden tablet and let the mixture sit, well-covered, for 24 hours.

Thing is, I felt that there wasn't enough zest flavour so I added a little more, except that this time I didn't boil that - just added into the must. Maybe there was some pith in there too, although i thought I was careful not to let this happen. Now, after 6 months the mead still has this harsh (perhaps bitter) flavour.

Question is: will this age out or alternatively is there anything else I could do to reduce it a little? I have to say I plan to add more herbs and spices again later on as these flavours are not prevalent enough for my taste.

Medsen Fey
03-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Orange aroma and pithiness will age out with time.
You can balance it with more sweetness if necessary.

skunkboy
03-21-2014, 11:48 PM
With all those herbs I don't know much zest you are gonna taste, but it looks like a fun recipe...

Mikeymu
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
It smelled and tasted amazing (oops pun not intended) but over time the herbs and spices dissipated, so I fully intend to brew another tea with these flavourings - probably when back-sweetening. May-bee when I collect some local summer honey.