PDA

View Full Version : Starch, Pectin, Or What?

Amnite
03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
6 Gallon
20 lbs bananas pealed and boiled(30 min)
13 oz PB2
12 lbs Star Thistle Honey
2 1/2 tsp Energizer
5 tsp Nutrient
1 tbsp Irish moss
1 Packet Cotes De Blancs

I noticed something that looked like a separation so i shook it up to mix it together and maybe ten minutes later this stuff(dark, kinda puffy looking) clumped back together. It was at the bottom at first then floated to the top. My research leads me to pectin/amylse enzyme to fix it. I have no brew stores locally and my closest is closed till tuesday. Am i screwed? will either of these enzymes even fix it after sitting for 2 days?

GntlKnigt1
03-23-2014, 05:52 AM
Maybe Irish moss? It's not a typical ingredient for mead.....

Medsen Fey
03-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Probably not pectin as that is typically translucent, whitish colored when it clumps. Perhaps it is some banana peel "stuff" or some moss. If it settles that should be no problem - just rack and leave it behind when the mead is ready.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Amnite
03-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Thx guys. I mighta started worrying too soon. IDK what it was but when i woke up my fermenter just exploded w/ fermentation. It broke up, and what didnt dissappear; settled. Weird though.... I have a picture of it ill post later. I am still curious as to what it was

Amnite
03-23-2014, 02:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/chxkyQR.jpg

GntlKnigt1
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Very strange....looks like half a carboy of lees, but you say it floated to the top?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.