PDA

View Full Version : CLEANING! The Tardis build begins!

Pages : [1] 2

mannye
03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
It's amazing the things that build up after 12 years. I thought I kept my garage pretty clean! But I was mistaken. I was surprised by the amounts of dirt and schmutz that builds up in hidden corners! As well as lizard eggs, which I was very happy to find and explains why I've only seen a few spiders and very few other insects over the years.

I will start posting pictures once the area is clean and painted. I spent yesterday and today demolishing all the old shelves and organizing all the tools and other equipment. It's only now at the end of the second day that all of the tools are put away and organized into boxes and placed in the garage loft.

Plan for this week, hose out floor and walls, repair any holes and cracks, paint and install laminate flooring. Next week I will figure out the floor plan, bring in the electrician and air conditioning guy and get the boring stuff done. Once that is done, shelves, storage and keezers for serving/fermenting and aging as well as the decorations and entertainment. 90% of the area will be taken up by mead and rum, and the rest will be an electronics and general hobby workshop.

I'm trying to get my hands on a couple of glass front coolers so I can watch the ferments/aging meads/beers/other unspeakable things in casks.

danr
03-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Congratulations mannye; sounds great!

GntlKnigt1
03-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Wow! Sounds ambitious and awesome. You gonna do before and after pics?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

EJM3
03-25-2014, 06:24 AM
I am so completely jealous. Just picture vibrantly lurid fluorescent green waves of envy surging from my ever darkeningly green enviously bone shakingly jealous little body....... SIGH!! At least I have an entire fermentarium dedicated to my endeavors, if not a Mead Mansion Extraordinaire! Again, sooooooooooooo jealous!!!

mannye
03-25-2014, 07:10 AM
GKnight, yeah starting today. I will be taking pics.

EJM3...klaatu barada nikto. Lol. Don't be jealous! Just come over when I'm done. Play some Elder Scrolls and drink some mead!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Chevette Girl
03-25-2014, 10:30 PM
How many people are you gonna have over for games and mead? We've got Arkham Horror and three or four expansions for it... could probably play a dozen if we had the table space.

mannye
03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
As many as possible. Realistically seating will probably be comfortable for six or less players but many more drinkers. I'm trying to work it so the garage door can be opened on rare cool days.

ostensibly
03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
How many people are you gonna have over for games and mead? We've got Arkham Horror and three or four expansions for it... could probably play a dozen if we had the table space.

mmm, Arkham Horror.
I used to play Call of Cthulu waaay back in the day, along with other assorted fringey RPGs. Good times.

mannye
03-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Ok. Here is the official "before" pic. Everything is cleaned and ready for paint as soon as the walls dry.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/ru8ebety.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/unene9u9.jpg

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

mannye
03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
No indoor pool in the plans for this one. :)

kudapucat
03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Really? You said it was a TARDIS! There should be ample room if it lives up to expectations.

mannye
03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
See that door? They make planets behind that door. (I love mixing up my scifi lol)

kudapucat
03-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Plenty of room on a planet for a swimming pool.

mannye
03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Plenty of room on a planet for a swimming pool.

Full of orange blossom honey!!

GntlKnigt1
03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Maybe some giant bee hives?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye
03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Painting almost finished. Have a conference call to take (stupid work that pays the bills stupid interrupting my fun) then last coat and off to buy the flooring!

GntlKnigt1
03-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Quick work there! Wow

mannye
03-28-2014, 04:08 PM
A/c guy just left with the plans for the cooling and floor materials are "aclimatizing' whatever that means. It means I can't install for 48 hours. Whatever. I wanted floor done by today but the best plans of mice and men and all that.

kudapucat
03-28-2014, 05:31 PM
It's like rehydrating your yeast, then acclimatising them to the must.
Surely you want your floor to grow well and be happy? Most of all age well?

GntlKnigt1
03-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Yeah....has to adjust to humidity and temp. Should be fine until your a/c guy finishes HIS work...then, your floor will buckle

mannye
03-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah....has to adjust to humidity and temp. Should be fine until your a/c guy finishes HIS work...then, your floor will buckle

Lol. I have a crappy window unit going right now but the fluctuations are huge. Every time I open the garage door humidity goes from 40 to 80. New unit will be a 2 ton mini split.

danr
03-28-2014, 10:27 PM
It sounds like things are moving along quickly. You weren't kidding about getting it done as soon as you sold the Road Runner. Your are going to have room for LOTS of mead soon. You are going to need to buy your honey by the bucket full. :D

mannye
03-29-2014, 01:47 AM
Haha. Not quickly enough! I wanted to have that floor in uh today but that's Ok. One more day won't kill me. Electrician will be putting in a sub-panel for all the power and some fancy isolated power for the tunes. Very important! Lol.

mannye
03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Ok! The Micro Matic model 4301 arrived last night. Here is the glycol unit:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/9yrejyba.jpg

And the tap tower:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/nyqa9u7e.jpg

One of them is a nitrogen tap for Guinness.

Here is the medusa of tubes and regulators I will have to figure out:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/a6e3a5yr.jpg

Cost for this pro kegging system is about 12 thousand dollars. My cost was about a buck's worth of gasoline to go get it from the restaurant THAT WAS THROWING IT AWAY in favor of a new unit. Total amount if time the thing was operating? 1 month.

Fortuna wants the TARDIS to have lots of mead on tap.

GntlKnigt1
03-31-2014, 07:31 AM
Holy Meadtap, Batman! What s deal! Thats just stupid amazing!

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
03-31-2014, 08:10 AM
It's probably a Cyberman in disguise. That's allright though, I'll take another Cybermead my good man!

GntlKnigt1
03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
That's just amazing! $12,000? Even if it was $1,000 it would be stunning

mannye
03-31-2014, 09:19 AM
Among other things, it has a gas blender for perfect carbonation with every pour! That's the black box that says "Micro Matic" on it on top of all the tubing. That thing alone is almost a thousand bucks and the tap tower is like 1200!

Of course, if any of it turns out to be broken, well that will also be grudgingly reported.

Riverat
03-31-2014, 09:22 AM
Now that is Suweet!!

GntlKnigt1
03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
So, you gonna build Miss Kitty's bar from Gunsmoke?

mannye
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
I think all the tubes and chrome and dials will be set up just like, you guessed it, the TARDIS!!! Lol. It has high pressure tubing that's red and blue and yellow as well as clear. Tanks hoses dials tubes plexiglass and metal should be able to go together like the center console!

moridin
03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
So friggen jealous

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

mannye
03-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Don't be jealous yet. It may still be just a good looking pile of junk. OR so expensive to set up that it won't make sense.

kudapucat
03-31-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm unsubscribing from this thread. It's making me feel insecure. :-P

mannye
03-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Hahaha. Your mead is the only thing that matters. What good is a bunch of tubes and faucets without lots of good mead?? Besides, it's only so I can get ready for you, fatbloke and several others to show up! Because what good will it do to have good mead, a tap and a bar with no one to share it with???

GntlKnigt1
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Well, maybe the a/c guy that gave you the tip knows someone....or the people that installed it.....or de-installed it

Riverat
03-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Hahaha. Your mead is the only thing that matters. What good is a bunch of tubes and faucets without lots of good mead?? Besides, it's only so I can get ready for you, fatbloke and several others to show up! Because what good will it do to have good mead, a tap and a bar with no one to share it with???

LOL, save a barstool for me!

mannye
03-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, maybe the a/c guy that gave you the tip knows someone....or the people that installed it.....or de-installed it

Yes indeed! It was the A/C guy himself. He told me he would give me a hand setting it up. This guy is getting a big tip! (or I'm going to buy his 1958 Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop..it's sweeeeeet)

Chevette Girl
03-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes indeed! It was the A/C guy himself. He told me he would give me a hand setting it up. This guy is getting a big tip! (or I'm going to buy his 1958 Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop..it's sweeeeeet)

<swoons>

Nice A/C guy to know!!

Well, only 9 more years on my mortgage before I can think about getting more serious than my corner of basement... <sigh>

moridin
03-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Realistically how much is a decent keg setup?

danr
03-31-2014, 11:47 PM
(or I'm going to buy his 1958 Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop..it's sweeeeeet)

Don't do it. If you do, you won't have room for the Tardis. :(

mannye
04-01-2014, 12:44 AM
A lot less than 12k lol. Really all you need is a Cornelius keg some lines and a small co2 tank. Northern brewer and Midwest have kits for like 200 dollars.

Here's one for 149 bucks.

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-System-w-Picnic-Tap-USED-Keg-1_p_69.html

mannye
04-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Don't do it. If you do, you won't have room for the Tardis. :(

No danger of that happening! Only have time/money for one hobby/obsession at a time!

moridin
04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Ah wow, that's much more affordable then I thought. Thanks for the link! Also yah mead making/ brewing isn't the cheapest hobby Ahahaha :)

skunkboy
04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Sweet stuff dude! Maintaining that many lines would be something of a chore, but it certainly makes fellow brewers envious! :)

mannye
04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Floor is done! Pictures coming soon.

GntlKnigt1
04-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Any interesting designs in the floor?

moridin
04-03-2014, 09:13 PM
We want pics!

mannye
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Pics will have to wait. I am in New Orleans. 30 pounds lighter and ready to put them ALL back on in three days. Manny HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!

GntlKnigt1
04-05-2014, 03:03 AM
30 pounds lighter would be awesome for me...

mannye
04-06-2014, 12:55 PM
At the airport chowing down on an early lunch of gumbo and red beans and rice at Dooky Chase. Best airport food ever. Tomorrow back to the diet and the TARDIS build.

Just for any Whovians traveling to New Orleans, get on the ferry to Algiers where you will find this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/qyjytyja.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/agygeqy9.jpg

Best bar ever.

Riverat
04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
LOL, now that's my kind of bar!

GntlKnigt1
04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
OMG! Too funny!

mannye
04-06-2014, 01:17 PM
We planned on a quick drink and lunch in Algiers but once we found this place, dinner reservations were cancelled.

GntlKnigt1
04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Hope the food is at least as good as at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe......

mannye
04-06-2014, 03:00 PM
It was but if I can't meet the meal before consuming it it's always just a little "less".

moridin
04-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Dammit I wanna go there so badly, seriously jealous

mannye
04-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Still waiting for the a/c guy. Grrrrrrr. Should be cool and dry in there already.

Freezers arrive next week from Home Depot. They are the ones popular for keezers over on homebrewtalk. Capacity is 7 corny kegs or three carboys.

I'm also expecting a bunch of copper sheeting and some rivets. These will be used for a decorative copper sculpture.

GntlKnigt1
04-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Jim Tom going to do your sculpture?

mannye
04-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Bobby Joe Lightning.

Honeyhog
04-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Problem with Jim Tom is that he's always around when you don't need him and he can't be found when you do, hahahahaha.

GntlKnigt1
04-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Good one, HH. He is a character. Some of the rest, well.....if they had any brains, they'd be lonesome.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

mannye
04-14-2014, 11:13 AM
No way! That would be illegal. Frank Gehry is coming over to shape it into a crumpled ball of paper.

GntlKnigt1
04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Maybe swamp pads and giant fans.... Then again, it is hot here only 1 day a year (maybe) so it might be a great change of pace to be hot

Oh...and Hiney is like 10 euros a case on sale.....also Warsteiner, Amstel, Gulpener, and a few icky brands....

mannye
04-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Progress!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/za6uhe2y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/a5ymares.jpg

GntlKnigt1
04-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Frank Gehry doesnt work with sheets of copper, except perhaps in roofing, gutters and cookware. He certainly can't crumple it into paper. What is he doing that is illegal? Building without a permit maybe?

mannye
04-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Now now. Let's not break the forum rules now.

GntlKnigt1
04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
No rules broken, you'll be Tickle-d to know.....

mannye
04-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Haha. I call you killer because you slay me! Lol.

mannye
04-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Another goody arrived today!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/15/9ademebu.jpg

The digital version of the Johnson Controls ETC. I will know soon how well it works!

GntlKnigt1
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Very cool!

moridin
04-14-2014, 08:26 PM
You must be super excited mannye. Do you have an expected completion date?

mannye
04-14-2014, 11:21 PM
I did but it keeps getting pushed back. With any luck I will be done in about 4 weeks.

danr
04-15-2014, 03:05 AM
The digital version of the Johnson Controls ETC. I will know soon how well it works!

I think that you will really like it. Mine works great. I use it with a refrigerator in our garage and can maintain whatever temperature I want for fermenting and aging. I just wish I had room for more.

mannye
04-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm setting up the freezers this evening just to make sure they are working. Then I will try the control unit.

mannye
04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Here are the freezers semi setup 90% where they are going to live. These guys are quiet! I know that's because they are brand new but I like.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/16/3a3urutu.jpg

I rigged them quick and dirty to make sure they were working and they got down to 13F in no time. Now I have the Johnson Controls A419 digital controller in one of them to see if it can get to 65F and keep it there. Here's the probe just kinda hanging there.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/16/a8yqe3y2.jpg

It's not touching the little shelf but in mid-air. Setup of the temp controller takes literally 30 seconds. Once I get the idea that everything is working as it should I will probably drill through the freezer somewhere and attach both probe and remote cleanly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/16/he3eru3a.jpg

Probe is just in there through the top gasket and that's the controller. Temp is holding at 8F now even though it's been off power for about 30 min or so. Ambient temp is 82F by the way!

Riverat
04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Give that drilling through thing a lot of thought, the refrigerant lines run throughout the entire chest walls, very easy to hit one and they aren't particularly repairable.

mannye
04-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Give that drilling through thing a lot of thought, the refrigerant lines run throughout the entire chest walls, very easy to hit one and they aren't particularly repairable.

Really? Well that nixes that idea. I would hate to ruin a brand new freezer I don't think it will be much less efficient if I keep the probe through the seal on the door. I bet I could just go through the seal itself to avoid a bulge.

smertz001
04-16-2014, 06:45 AM
On my freezer, I have the probe going through the back of the door (between the hinges) Then I have my paint can heater cord going through the side of the door.

It bulges a little bit and gets a bit humid in there, but I've not had any problems since I started using it back in Oct/Nov.

Cheers !

mannye
04-16-2014, 07:50 AM
On my freezer, I have the probe going through the back of the door (between the hinges) Then I have my paint can heater cord going through the side of the door.

It bulges a little bit and gets a bit humid in there, but I've not had any problems since I started using it back in Oct/Nov.

Cheers !

Actually, the door itself is probably a valid candidate for drilling, but if I can get away with going through a hinge or the drain on the bottom it would be better.

smertz001
04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
I thought about going through the drain in the bottom. But, should there be an MEA, then, it will be all over the floor below the freezer...

kudapucat
04-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Here's a way to make it safer.
Open the lid.
Turn the freezer on as cold as possible.
Leave lid open
Come back in half an hour.
You will see first where the refrigerant lines run.
Not all sides have refrigerant lines.
Choose one that doesn't.
Then tentatively drill so you only pierce the putter metal.
Using a sharp tool, or the drill it in your fingers, gently remove the insulation.
When you're certain there are no wires in your way, drill through the inner skin.
Place a hollow rivet in the hole, I like using a plumbing fitting such as a 'tank outlet' or bulkhead fitting

kudapucat
04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
This is similar to what I mean:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/aqurevyg.jpg

You can screw an end cap on the end with a tiny hole and rubber grommet for the probe if you like.
Or just silicone it up, it's easy enough to remove now.

mannye
04-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Great idea! I will look into that.

danr
04-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Really? Well that nixes that idea. I would hate to ruin a brand new freezer I don't think it will be much less efficient if I keep the probe through the seal on the door. I bet I could just go through the seal itself to avoid a bulge.

Since my wife occasionally needs to use our garage refrigerator for food (ex. for the Thanksgiving turkey), I did not want to drill a hole in it. I just close the door on the probe cable and let the gasket close around it. This has worked fine for me for a couple of years, although I do not know if chest freezer door seals are different.

EricS
04-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Problem with most of the new chest freezers is that the metal body acts like a radiator and pulls heat off of the coils, so not sure if you should drill them. Top is different though, look at the keezer builds, they won't cut the sides but will the lid. I'd probably keep it simple though and use the drain, just drill a hole in the plug, stick the probe through, and caulk around the wire.

mannye
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Many ways to skin a cat. Thanks everyone!

GntlKnigt1
04-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Am waiting to hear about the installation and testing of that tap system

moridin
04-17-2014, 06:31 PM

X2

mannye
04-17-2014, 07:38 PM

After the A/C. Depending on the cost of installation some other details like filters and lighting will be taking a back seat. I'll use candles of I have to. Lol. That thing wasn't in the budget!

mannye
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
OK! Progress! A/C is installed and working very well. Those mini split units are QUIET! Much cheaper to run than a regular window unit. The garage is now cool and finally drying out. Amazing the amount of water that A/C is pulling out of the air in there. Monday will see the estimate for installing the TARIDS Console... or tap system. I plan to have six corny kegs coming out of one of the freezers set to 35 degrees with the handy dandy controller. It all depends on the price the guy gives me for setting upthe glycol system. If it's too high, I'll keep the tap tower and the manifold, but sell everything else and go with the usual Co2 Corny setup.

Pictures will come soon. It looks like a bomb went off in a cardboard box factory in there at the moment.

EbonHawk
05-02-2014, 06:57 PM
How big is the hole? Can't you just plug it with a rubber stopper or cover it and still use it as a "regular" freezer?

I think I answered my next question: the sensor/temp control thing allows you to use the freezer as a fridge, right?

Also, what's the advantage of using a freezer for this? Is it a residual coolness type thing or something? Why not use a fridge instead?

EbonHawk
05-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Another thing: Is anybody getting garbled Reply to message buttons at the bottom right of each thread like I am? I can't edit posts anymore either, all of a sudden!! The edit button is gone from next to my posts, but I can post just fine...and I'm logged in, as far as I can tell? Forum glitch, maybe?

This is what the Reply to Message area looks like for me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iFjsUUdaVZOWVDU0FBR3hBOFU/edit?usp=sharing

I'm using Firefox. I would think it would be supported okay. Anyone else use Firefox?

Ooooo-kay, the Edit button is back on this post, but not the one above that I made. Just...weird.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iFjsUUdaVZM1BLa2xqa2ROaVk/edit?usp=sharing

mannye
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
The edit button goes away after an hour or so. You have limited time to make changes so that's normal.

I also have the garbled text. It seems to only be cosmetic.

As far as the freezers, yes they are controlled externally and they are better insulated than fridges. Also they hold up to 7 corny kegs where the average fridge can usually do 4 max.

I haven't personAlly done 7 yet but that day she is a comin!

EbonHawk
05-03-2014, 01:37 PM
All right, thanks for infos. I figured it was something like that (for both things).

EJM3
05-05-2014, 12:46 AM
The edit button goes away after an hour or so. You have limited time to make changes so that's normal.

I also have the garbled text. It seems to only be cosmetic.

As far as the freezers, yes they are controlled externally and they are better insulated than fridges. Also they hold up to 7 corny kegs where the average fridge can usually do 4 max.

I haven't personAlly done 7 yet but that day she is a comin!

Hmm, 2 freezers, and 1 fridge = 14 + 4 = 18 corny kegs at a time!!! If no fridge then 14 at a time! Anyway you look at it a "pub crawl" (pub as in "pub"lic call box...) would be a wild night in the TARDIS.... Note to self: hitchhike to Florida ASAP...

mannye
05-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok. A/C finally installed. Looks good and cools down the whole place in minutes.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/uty9eguh.jpg

Still looks like a war zone in here though.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/09/yqave7u8.jpg

The garage door is now hidden behind a curtain. And you can see some of the speakers the will be pumping the tunes.

GntlKnigt1
05-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Tunes? Mozart? Liszt? Weird Al?

loveofrose
05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
I have a vote on tunes, though it is admittedly bias:

http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist/view_playlist/-4?page_object=artist_1257554

Better brewing through science!

EbonHawk
05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
I have a vote on tunes, though it is admittedly bias:

http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist/view_playlist/-4?page_object=artist_1257554

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Dang, dude, I didn't know you were multi-talented.

Are "Red Days", "Papa Heavy", and "The Attitude of 13" the only three albums?

loveofrose
05-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes. I'm mastering 2 more right now, but it's slow going because I seriously upgraded my studio. As a result, I'm learning new capabilities.

mannye
05-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Wow! Nice tunes! Multi-talented!

MourneMead
05-10-2014, 02:16 PM
I second that. Very talented!

Riverat
05-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Sweet always liked instrumentals

mannye
05-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Got any of that music on vinyl? Here's the music end of the TARDIS almost complete. Still have some minor hookups and speaker setup but it's pretty much done.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/7yjazy3e.jpg

GntlKnigt1
05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow! Well done!

Riverat
05-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Get Loveorose down and y'all would be "Music Mazers"8)

mannye
05-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Still have to hook up the big guys and figure out which of the two preamps is staying. But right now the little horns are rocking with that tiny little flea amp under the phono pre.

Waiting for the electrician and the now infamous beer guy that keeps on postponing!

And loveofrose has an open invitation!

Honeyhog
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Awesome, and still rockin' the vinyl. You definitely need to get the big speakers hooked up those old school systems cry out for them.

mannye
05-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Yeah they do! Those are Definitive Technologies BP2002 Bi-Polar speaker arrays (the big black ones) that are really meant for home theater, but they do rock. AC/DC blasting out of those things can be heard down the block. Each one has a powered sub in it as well. I'm adapting an Outlaw 750 5 channel amp (165 watts per channel) to them feeding four of the five channels into the two speakers, effectively tri-amping each speaker if you count the internal sub woofer amp. Once I get the TV in there and run the sound through the system, I think I will own the loudest Atari 2600 console on the planet.

Only problem I can see here is that once I get my first batch of mead aged out, and have another aging, and one fermenting plus all the toys, I'll have to figure out a way to live in there!

pokerfacepablo
05-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Yeah they do! Those are Definitive Technologies BP2002 Bi-Polar speaker arrays (the big black ones) that are really meant for home theater, but they do rock. AC/DC blasting out of those things can be heard down the block. Each one has a powered sub in it as well. I'm adapting an Outlaw 750 5 channel amp (165 watts per channel) to them feeding four of the five channels into the two speakers, effectively tri-amping each speaker if you count the internal sub woofer amp. Once I get the TV in there and run the sound through the system, I think I will own the loudest Atari 2600 console on the planet.

Only problem I can see here is that once I get my first batch of mead aged out, and have another aging, and one fermenting plus all the toys, I'll have to figure out a way to live in there!

Get with the times old man. This is what all the cool kids are playing now...

http://i.imgur.com/xvUV5Ac.jpg?1

mannye
05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
LOL... I got one of those new-fangled ones too. I even got the guns!

pokerfacepablo
05-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Hopefully you have an old school tv to match. I tried using my gun and flat screen with no success.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mannye
05-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Funny you should say that! I'm trying to find one right now. Ideally I will find an old console tv and replace all the equipment with a nice old console.

EJM3
05-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Atari 2600! I busted my gums on that one!!! Defender as my #1 and Space Invaders as #2 faves of all times...

mannye
05-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Combat! Pac man and pong.

pokerfacepablo
05-22-2014, 01:13 AM
I was always a fan of missile command, pitfall, and prince of persia... they were all my brother's games. The only game I owned for Atari was E.T. and I hated with so much passion.

GntlKnigt1
05-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Ahh....lookie whay i found!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noctuasoftware.voxelinvaders_demo

mannye
05-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Ha! Nice! Yet another reason to dump the iPhone

mannye
05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Air conditioner finally working! The outside unit had a freon leak. I can now hang a side of beef in here.

Now just need to get the beer guy and the electrician in here!

EJM3
05-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Ahh....lookie whay i found!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noctuasoftware.voxelinvaders_demo

Hey! No fair!! I'm trying to find ways to remove myself from the computer & you go and lay this across my screen!!! Sigh, I guess I'll bookmark it for later tonight....

EJM3
05-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Air conditioner finally working! The outside unit had a freon leak. I can now hang a side of beef in here.

Now just need to get the beer guy and the electrician in here!

Got a question for ya?? When you call the beer guy, does his phone play "taps"?? :rolleyes: ;D [quickly ducks]

mannye
05-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Lol. That was funny. Taps.

Hobby guy
06-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I hope he really hops to.lol
Edit: hey maneye can I make a tunage request for the grand opening of the tardis with that kicking sound system. It would be king Henry by steeleye span from the album below the salt. Seems to fit mead well. (Also a geat drinking song) we play it at my buddies house when we have shed nights. We just sit I'm the shed turned workshop listening to Irish and Celtic music while drinking mead braggots and beer.

mannye
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
HAHA! Well, I'm playing taps for my hopes that he will ever come. I've decided to give another few folks a call to get estimates for the installation. In the meantime, the electrician is coming tomorrow to give me the estimate for the extra fusebox and the outlets and lighting and my Expidit shelf was assembled and mounted on the wall ready to fill with records. The fermenters are at least in the space now and I'm setting up the shelving for them as well as the bulk aging rack which will soon be housing at least 4 glass carboys as well as the wine rack for storing the bottles. No conical for now, just 5 gallon (6 gallon capacity) buckets with spigots for easy racking into secondary. A total of 20 gallons at a time and 20 to 30 (if I can find room for 2 more glass carboys) gallons bulk aging as well as 50 to 100 bottles. 50 bottles if I end up being able to install the glycol system, 100 if I don't and I'm able to use the extra space for racks... we shall see.

GntlKnigt1
06-02-2014, 03:06 AM
Seems to fit mead well. (Also a geat drinking song) we play it at my buddies house when we have shed nights. We just sit I'm the shed turned workshop listening to Irish and Celtic music while drinking mead braggots and beer.

I just had a mental image of that..... and it cracked me up.

mannye
06-05-2014, 11:00 PM
I just had a mental image of that..... and it cracked me up.

Remember that any gotmeader finding him or herself in sunny Miami Beach has an open invitation to spend an evening in the TARDIS... where the Daleks don't bite.

GntlKnigt1
06-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm lucky to get to Chicago.....Miami Beach doesn't have any direst flights from Schipol (Amsterdam).

mannye
06-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm lucky to get to Chicago.....Miami Beach doesn't have any direst flights from Schipol (Amsterdam).

Sure it does. They arrive daily at 4:20 PM. Lol.

Get_Wiggly
06-07-2014, 02:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KtiPBgyh1Y

mannye
06-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Love that song! Memorized it back as a wee lad in Queens. The Tossers do great version.

http://youtu.be/fAsTHMsHnYg

WVMJack
06-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Manne, how did you seal up your garage door so bees dont come in when you are making meads? WVMJ

mannye
06-08-2014, 07:03 AM
A thick rubber gasket along the top and bottom and foam on the sides (all easily removable) then sheets of wooden floor soundproofing cover the whole door and any cracks I might have missed. I also insulated the door itself with styrofoam although that won't keep out anything. In addition, the outside of the door was sprayed with "insect barrier" spray. Although with the summer rains that's really not very effective.

WVMJack
06-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Very good, I could see you popping open a bottle of mead and then the bees finding you and a cool youtube of Manne bouncing off of the walls trying to get out the garage door:) If we get so much as a drop of honey on the outside of the doorknob they will find it. WVMJ

EJM3
06-08-2014, 03:36 PM
We took it from them, and they want it back. :angryfire:

I do have to say though that even with our back door & all the windows open, we have only had 2 bees inside the house since late March till now. And our yard is FILLED with at least 4-5 types of bees I can recognize, and probably at least a dozen or more wild ones I cannot recognize. But I do have to say that our set of EVERYTHING in our yard is spectacular. Then again we don't spray any pesticides (DE, DR. Bronners & Borax aside), and have lots of bee and other pollinator friendly plants blooming from early Spring to late Autumn/early Winter. We drop the seed in a hole and water it, the plants and insects provide us with bounty, beautiful relationship. (BTW: He's one of the original Hippies from the 60's, and I'm a Latter Day Hippie ;D)

mannye
06-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Well I wish I could have that kind of relationship with insects here. Unfortunately, Miami Beach is populated with a high percentage of "douchebag" which is the most annoying insect of all. They insist on having bermudagrass lawns and all sorts of non-native plants so of course, there are more chemicals floating around here than bugs. The net effect is (and I think this is nature sticking her middle finger out at us) is that all the beneficial insects are dead.

I have bought and released tens of thousands of ladybugs, praying mantis and others as well as several doses of beneficial nematodes only to see them all disappear in days. The nematodes did well in the backyard until a gardener thinking he was being helpful doses the place with poison.

Without pesticides tomatoes and anything fruit bearing is literally chewed up in days. And forget about soap. The super bugs here laugh at it.

The only fruit that works here so far (in my backyard) are banana and accidental papaya. Lol. They just grew there. And rosemary. Everything else I have to grow behind a screen AND keep a close eye on.

Brewser
06-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Let's see the updated Tardis!

mannye
06-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Any day now! Waiting to finish brew area to take some pics. Beer guy finally got back to me and came in to give me the estimate and it's a little more than I was hoping but I'm going for it.

mannye
06-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Ok. Brew area is still only 20% but here's a couple of pics so far.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/avamyhat.jpg

Some of the storage and freezers/beer coolers/ferment chambers. This will soon be changed to have the white shelves outside as the coolers are coming together.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/ydanumyz.jpg

This is the primary ferment area for the winter months when I won't need to keep the buckets in the freezers and where the secondary and aging will eventually end up. The more observant Christopher Foyle types among you will notice the new sub-panel ::giggedy:: and finally that big dark mass with the tap resting on it is the glycol system which is being installed in the coming days. ::double giggedy::

Almost forgot! Some decorations.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/dy7apa3e.jpg

And LP storage was added. Gotta make sure the tunes are plentiful!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/sazuzage.jpg

Brewser
06-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Amazing! I'm planning on doing something like this, (brew room or corner, whichever my girlfriend allows at the time) when I get a larger place!

Of course it'll be on a much smaller scale. But seriously jealous. Great job man.

pokerfacepablo
06-19-2014, 07:44 PM
The B 52's and Tom Jones... Could life get any sweeter? I submit it cannot!

mannye
06-19-2014, 08:12 PM
When I have 4 meads, Guinness and some local IPA on tap and at least 30 gallons aging and fermenting THEN it will not be able to get any sweeter! Lol.

GntlKnigt1
06-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Wow !!! MannyE, you have really, really outdone yourself.... that is freaking amazing after starting with just a bare garage !!! I salute you !!!

mannye
06-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Wow !!! MannyE, you have really, really outdone yourself.... that is freaking amazing after starting with just a bare garage !!! I salute you !!!

Thanks! It's all a plot to lure gotmeaders to Miami Beach. We need more Dalek/Human hybrids..(electronic laughter)

GntlKnigt1
06-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Well...am going to make it to Chicago next week. For now, that will have to be close enough

GntlKnigt1
06-20-2014, 09:00 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/ra2a8aje.jpg

Playing with Tapatalk on my tablet to see what it can do. And now for some voice input Oh. That works too. Cool.

pokerfacepablo
06-22-2014, 02:50 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/ra2a8aje.jpg

Playing with Tapatalk on my tablet to see what it can do. And now for some voice input Oh. That works too. Cool.

How true it is... well said.

mannye
09-03-2014, 07:24 PM
So finally after much delay. I am told the beer guy is coming to install the tap system in the tardis tomorrow! That means pics of the completed mead room will soon be posted! Just goes to show how difficult it can be to get things done when you have to count on others and you don't have a huge wallet. I started the build in MARCH!

kudapucat
09-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Oooh! Exciting!
I can't wait to start posting pics of mine!

kudapucat
09-04-2014, 03:09 AM
(I technically started my build in 2010 - so don't be too hard on yourself)

GntlKnigt1
09-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Is this the same guy that told you about the equipment originally, mannye?

mannye
09-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Is this the same guy that told you about the equipment originally, mannye?

Yes. I tried others and they were too expensive. Funny thing is when I called Micro Matic who make the equipment, they recommended the original guy.

To his credit, he is a small company but he seems to be very popular. He was frank with me and said that it would take a while because the big restaurants can't wait and pay big bucks.

GntlKnigt1
09-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a good guy to do business with. For thebenefit of other south Florida folks, he have a name?

mannye
09-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah... the company is called BevTech and his name is Tom. Seems like a good guy. Comes highly recommended by the owner of my local.

Let's see if that translates into a "home system." I've been a little worried ever since I was the lucky recipient of the equipment because I know that often gear made for a professional setting can not work well in "consumer mode."

One thing is for sure... even at retail, a 1/6 keg seems to be a good deal. I bought a "test" keg of Michelob Ultra for only 44 bucks. I don't know if that's a bargain...six cases for 44 bucks? I don't drink Ultra so I've never bought it...I just asked for the cheapest beer in case of a BEA (that's an MEA but with beer). Just seems like 8 dollars a case is a bargain...but then again I only buy microbrew which is on average 80 to 90 dollars for a 1/6.

GntlKnigt1
09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Except maybe Dragons Blood. Had some on last trip to Chicago. I gave it a 5 on Beer Advocate ( highest rating): but $4 a bottle or so

mannye
09-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Not quite done yet but all will be complete tomorrow.

This is what they call the trunk line which takes the cold beer/mead from the kegs to the dispenser. Pictured here:

The kegs will be in these keezers:

The black line you see is the trunk line which will eventually be feeding out to the dispenser about 30 feet away in line length. They are actually only a few feet apart but the line goes into the attic. The regulators are mounted inside the keezers.

And up in the attic are the glycol unit and the Co2 and nitrogen tanks.

That's the glycol unit. Tomorrow I will have both tanks installed and I'll post pics of that and the mixer which balances the amount of nitrogen and Co2.

Riverat
09-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Suweet! So what mead are you going to have on tap?

mannye
09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I have 10 gallons of BOMM that should be ready to keg once everything is done. Then I'll be making a sweet high ABV BOMM (orange blossom) to force carb and see how that goes. Then I'll be starting some more traditional long aging meads to put into the rotation. at any time there will two to three meads along with Harp, Guinness and a rotating light lager for the ladies (Corona/Heineken Light/PBR, etc)

loveofrose
09-04-2014, 07:15 PM
If this is close to your BBQ pit, you have no incentive to leave...ever.

kudapucat
09-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Try a 4 week cyser carbonated. It's awesome.

mannye
09-04-2014, 08:00 PM
If this is close to your BBQ pit, you have no incentive to leave...ever.

It is close enough. :)

edblanford
09-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Seems more like an old time speakeasy than a mead making operation to me!

Honeyhog
09-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Shhhhhhhhh!!

mannye
09-04-2014, 10:33 PM
For that there would have to be a distiller for whiskey. And I only use mine to make clean water. Ahem.

Honeyhog
09-04-2014, 10:48 PM
For that there would have to be a distiller for whiskey. And I only use mine to make clean water. Ahem.

One of the local HBS had the components for a small setup that he said was handy for making essential oils, ahem.

mannye
09-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah. That's the ticket. Essential oils.

GntlKnigt1
09-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Oh wow !!!! That is one hell of a setup for an amateur operation !!

pokerfacepablo
09-05-2014, 03:23 AM
What's the password?

mannye
09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Domino LOL

mannye
09-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Grrrr. Delayed until Saturday. I was hoping to spend all of Saturday putting the place back together and have cold draft beer for Sunday.

GntlKnigt1
09-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Domino? Wasn't she a Bond girl? Shaken, not stirred....

mannye
09-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Grrrrrrrr Still waiting. I'm last in line all the time because the pro clients keep calling and they pay MUCH more. AND he's a one man operation. PRoblem is that everything else is held up because most of the room is built up around the system. Sigh.

loveofrose
09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Bribe him with single malt whisky. Works with my friends. I suggest Balvenie 15.

edblanford
09-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Pro up. It's only money. LOL (says the guy who isn't paying)

mannye
09-11-2014, 07:15 PM
LOL Allright! I'm filling out the ATB forms right now! (not!) LOL I love 90's humor.

edblanford
09-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Not sure if it a consolation or not, but I do virtually everything myself. Your Tardis build I could stretch to many years (and have, on occasion) Still working on my primary mead space (4 years), but have the secondary one done in only 2! (also my wife's painting space, could that have helped?)

pokerfacepablo
09-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Bribe him with single malt whisky. Works with my friends. I suggest Balvenie 15.

Mmmmmmm.... yum, drunk mumbles.

kudapucat
09-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Not sure if it a consolation or not, but I do virtually everything myself. Your Tardis build I could stretch to many years (and have, on occasion) Still working on my primary mead space (4 years), but have the secondary one done in only 2! (also my wife's painting space, could that have helped?)

Haha. Beat you. Mine's taken more than 5 years so far! (I'd not have believed it, but I know I started before my son was born.)

Actually I started it before I ever dreamt of making mead too. Huh.

mannye
09-13-2014, 09:13 AM
FINALLY!!! The system is finished!!

I ended up with six different dispensers three domestic, one European and two Guinness connections (Harp uses the same connection) All the domestic can be used for either regular beer1/6 kegs or my own filled kegs. I have blended gas Nitro/Co2 with two different blends (one nitro heavy for Guinness) and each connection is regulated so I can wither just dispense still or force carb. YAY!!! It's the ultimate keezers! Pictures coming later today or tomorrow once I get everything back in order.

Next order of business: TARDIS DOOR!!!!!

GntlKnigt1
09-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Sounds completely awesome....

danr
09-13-2014, 02:25 PM
FINALLY!!! The system is finished!!

I ended up with six different dispensers three domestic, one European and two Guinness connections (Harp uses the same connection) All the domestic can be used for either regular beer1/6 kegs or my own filled kegs. I have blended gas Nitro/Co2 with two different blends (one nitro heavy for Guinness) and each connection is regulated so I can wither just dispense still or force carb. YAY!!! It's the ultimate keezers! Pictures coming later today or tomorrow once I get everything back in order.

Next order of business: TARDIS DOOR!!!!!

:happy2::happy3::happy4::happy5::happy6::happy7::h appy8::happy9::happy10::happy11:

Yes, it sounds completely awesome; looking forward to the photos. I was happy to just get a kegerator set up with two taps and a single regulator. With your setup, can you use nitrogen only on a keg of still mead? I suppose with your ability to regulate each connection separately, you could just use CO2 with enough pressure for dispensing only.

GntlKnigt1
09-13-2014, 02:44 PM
I nominate the Tardis for the location of the next Mazer Cup. Is there a second?

mannye
09-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Ok. Here we go. I still have a lot to do as the carboy area is still "makeshift" but the bulk of the work is done.

Let's start with the aging/fermenting area. I still need to add the heavy duty shelving which will allow better use of the space.

Now a few pictures of the thing that held up the build but was sooooo worth it. The dispensing system.

Sharp eyes will notice that the drip tray is about three inches too small. There's a new one on the way.

Keezers. Still need to finish the outside and add the additional insulation.

In here you see the cheap Michelob Ultra (spelling?) test keg I am using in the domestic side.

Close up of the regulators

edblanford
09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Impressive!

mannye
09-13-2014, 05:32 PM

This is the inside of the foreign and Guinness/Harp keezer. The one regulator on the side is the Guinness gas blend.

Now we go up to the loft and the glycol unit.

I have it set at 35 as per the directions of the installer. And this is the gas area. Yellow is Co2 and blue is nitrogen.

They go to the mixer which makes on blend for regular beer and a second for stout

Thats it for the business end now to the chill out section:

You've seen this before but now it's all set up and sounding like a five figure stereo system.

mannye
09-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Despite being the TARDIS the decorations are from all over. So I'll be setting up a lot of this kind of stuff:

And of course this:

But the best part is what's going on the door next week.

I have to remove the door and put a sheet of plastic on it then apply the decal to the plastic but it should put the finishing touch on the whole thing. Then slowly I will add more TARDIS interior touches.

danr
09-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Very nice mannye!

Are you going to have a grand opening party?

EJM3
09-13-2014, 09:04 PM
mannye: Is that an MEA all over the circuit breaker panel???

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1464&d=1410642445

Honeyhog
09-13-2014, 09:42 PM
One word.
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/Ron_Weber/Mobile%20Uploads/schwing_zps3dded08a.jpg (http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Ron_Weber/media/Mobile%20Uploads/schwing_zps3dded08a.jpg.html)

Brewser
09-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Very nice! I'm digging the TARDIS! Jealousy now sets in.

Is that an AT-AT on a rope track? There's a restaurant near me that has stuff like that moving all over the ceiling/walls. Pretty amazing! Great pics man.

mannye
09-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Thanks everybody!

It an AT-AT but it's just kind of hanging out on the garage door chain.

Funny story. I neglected to unplug the garage door opener and when we hoisted the glycol unit to the loft some liquid that was still in it spilled out and closed the switch circuit making the door open! The AT-AT got stretched out along the spring! Made a terrible noise but it was fine. We couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes.

mannye
09-15-2014, 09:49 PM
mannye: Is that an MEA all over the circuit breaker panel???

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1464&d=1410642445

Lol. Nope. I don't know what that is...

That panel is getting painted as part of the "tardisization" procedures. I am planning to get some of those circular things from the new inside (which are Dalek technology by the way) and the panel will be obscured by the console.

I figure the shelf unit for the carboys along with the beer dispensing unit will make a great "flattened out" version of the circular center console. Lots of backlit plexiglass n stuff. Also when I recover a little from the initial expenditure (this time next year give or take) a new "metal" floor will replace the cheap linoleum tiles.

kudapucat
09-16-2014, 10:40 AM
A sneak preview of my very own TARDIS...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/1574533534921916b55b99eab71b3084.jpg

EJM3
09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
You've got the right fixins for a TARDIS all right!

I might take over a corner of our basement to store bottles for aging. But it is not exactly made for anything like humans to be there for more than a short while.

Lucky basetards!!!

mannye
09-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Ha! That's a TARDIS allright! I hope my progress makes more folks get moving! Listening to the record player and hearing the "bloop" of fermenting mead during the quiet passages last night. Ahhhhhh

mannye
09-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Argh. Growing pains. Something screwy with the temp control on the freezer and my keg just froze. Another reason I'm glad I don't have any good stuff in there.

kudapucat
09-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Trying very hard not to hijack your thread, but it's so exciting. Concrete's being poured as we speak.

mannye
09-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Hijack! Keep the pics coming!

Chevette Girl
09-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Nice! Well, hopefully there will be some photos in about 9 years (when my mortgage is paid off and I can look at getting another place and renting this one out), but for now I'm sort of constrained to my basement... along with the warhammer/Blood Bowl minis, RPG books, board games and all the other hobbies shoved down there...

kudapucat
09-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Ok ;-)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/17/eacc2668e3faddb25cd91f9f84ca5517.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/17/99ddc14fb497ae36c8af53c7b9d448d1.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/17/e1890500fcf4fbc98296326041ac05cd.jpg

Getting there!

mannye
09-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Oh wow! Seeing people in there makes for some perspective! LARGE! That's the one thing I don't have. Space. Just 10x20. You could actually have a decent party in there! Looking good!

kudapucat
09-18-2014, 08:22 AM
It's 38sqm, which will go down to about 34 by the time retaining walls are installed, and to 24 once the laundry and staircase seize their share.
That's about 12'6"x20' in silly units.
But I may be able to squeeze a bit more out of it.

mannye
09-18-2014, 08:51 AM
That extra two silly feet are a boon! BOON I tell you!

kudapucat
09-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Well, I could always move the laundry wall and make it 3'. Just don't tell the missus.
The only real advantage I see is that mine is underground.

mannye
09-18-2014, 06:13 PM
That's a huge advantage. My garage will instantly start heating up the moment the a/c cuts out. Digging down isn't an option here as the water table is about, well, were ON the water table. I forget how many feet it is that makes for a stable temp, but it's not much. You could even conceivably dig a hole and create a cellar environment if you're not already there as it sits!

kudapucat
09-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Haha. See the black walls? They're solid dirt. One brick wall is double brick and then another room, the last wall is fully exposed single brick on the top half 4' - 9' above ground.
Ceiling is all house, currently 3/4" floorboard only, but that will soon change.

kudapucat
09-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Down more is therefore not really an option without underpinning the house foundations.
Also, extension works currently underway going up. So... Let's not dick with it any more eh?

Also: I and NOT cutting my beautiful concrete floor.

mannye
09-18-2014, 10:37 PM
If that's all dirt then you should have a nice stable temp down there or at the very least, slowly changing. Nice!

GntlKnigt1
09-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Instant wine cellar/aging room. I just toured a nearby winery and their aging room is same as mine....just below grade and quite humid. Mine is just like the pro's! Maybe my "medevil room" should double as the ferment-arium.

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 05:33 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/22/83578bf5436bd19d051b3f22a42fe3dc.jpg
Starting to take shape.

mannye
09-22-2014, 07:06 AM
? What's that? A Rorschach test? I see BOOBS!

GntlKnigt1
09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Petrified chocolate milk shake?

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 07:49 AM
The concrete is being polished. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/22/8835e2ae2cb009cbaadc98cf4a4d2173.jpg
You guys are funny. :-)

mannye
09-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Very nice! It reminds me of the terrazzo floors common in older south Florida houses.

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes, but instead of being meticulously placed and made perfect, we just grind 1/4" off the top of the conc, and see what's underneath.

mannye
09-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Yes, but instead of being meticulously placed and made perfect, we just grind 1/4" off the top of the conc, and see what's underneath.

"Meticulously placed and made perfect" I've never encountered any cases of that in the service industry here in South Florida. LOL More like "HURRY BEFORE HE CAN STOP PAYMENT ON THE CHECK!!" Seriously though, it looks very cool. I bet when you seal that up it's going to look like a million bucks!

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 10:39 PM
It doesn't actually get sealed.
It gets hardened, then polished. Thus it can never wear off, just wear down.

mannye
09-23-2014, 12:29 AM
It doesn't actually get sealed.
It gets hardened, then polished. Thus it can never wear off, just wear down. I see. Is that an expensive proposition? I have concrete under that cheap linoleum. Or is it cement? I don't know the difference.

drako824
09-23-2014, 01:03 PM
If I remember correctly, concrete is cement with gravel mixed in.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

mannye
09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
If I remember correctly, concrete is cement with gravel mixed in.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Ah! Then I have cement... smooth grey coloring, except for the cracks where the bodies are out-gassing... ;D

kudapucat
09-23-2014, 07:18 PM
No. It's not cement.
Concrete is made of:
1 part cement
2 parts sand
3 parts stone, usually blue metal.
Water to required consistency.

Pour in boxing or mould.
Smooth top
Spread slurry to get a level surface.
This buries the stone aggregate and gives a smooth sand cement top layer.

There is no way your floor is sand and cement only (otherwise known as mortar, or stabilised sand if you scrimp in the cement)
And cement by itself? Brittle useless stuff.

Grind off the top, it will look similar.
Look, it depends on your concreter. My SIL has floors where there are 'blooms' of aggregate, giving way to deserts of sand.
My floor has some 'L' shapes of sand caused by knee boards that sunk a little deep.
Your edges probably slope off too, as this shrinks the most. The last 3-6 inches of slab will remain unpolished here (I could go deeper, but the edge is unimportant) because of that.

kudapucat
09-23-2014, 07:24 PM
My concrete is ground, sealed with a penetrating sealant, it seals all the way through.
It's then ground, hardened, ground again

Rinse and repeat with lighter and lighter grits, until it shines.

This is expensive. (I know a guy) it uses $85 in grinding pads per sqm (a bit bigger than a sq yard, or about $850 per 'square')

That said.
You can grind it once, then put a lacquer seal on it that lasts between 2-10 years depending on traffic, before needing to be sealed again.
This costs about half as much, but requires maintenance.

Cracks, unless structurally problematic, give character, and don't effect the finish.

The think I like most, when comparing to the alternative of tiling, is there are no grout lines to deal with, no place for gunk or funk to gather.

mannye
09-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Considering that even a "cheap" laminate wood floor (done correctly) can cost well into the thousands for a small space, polishing isn't a bad value. Lets see that laminate floor in 5 year's time. NO contest.

kudapucat
09-24-2014, 04:13 PM
It really depends on your substrate. If it's leas than 32mpa (Not sure what units you seppos for concrete strength) it's hard to polish, as it's just too powdery.

GntlKnigt1
12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Cool! My version of Tardis/man cave is finally coming along....a medieval room and decor

mannye
12-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Cool! My version of Tardis/man cave is finally coming along....a medieval room and decor

Polished concrete seems like the ideal floor for such a room. You can even have it tinted to mimic whatever rustic stone you desire.

U g

kudapucat
12-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Usually you would add coloured aggregate if you wanted to colour it.
You can even place glasses and bottles in the floor.

My TARDIS is taking shape again.
This time it's taking on strength to support the two floors now above it.

mannye
12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Columns are a good thing. They make for character and a place to hold swords or laser weapons.

U g

GntlKnigt1
12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Floors were done a couple years ago. Just finished the walls and ceiling. Next is hanging the decor that I already have...and putting in bookcase, getting end tables and other details.

EJM3
12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Nice!!! My best friend will be jealous... And I do hope that goblet is used once in a while. About 600ml??

GntlKnigt1
12-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Well, I have a pewter Smaug goblet that gets most of the use.....haven't measured the capacity of that one yet...

mannye
12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
I've heard mention of this legendary goblet but have yet to see a picture of the vessel!

GntlKnigt1
12-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Ahh.... it's in my GotMead photo album.....
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/album.php?albumid=51&attachmentid=1270

kudapucat
12-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I've seen full many goblets since I first commenced to roam, but nowhere yet such goblets have I seen.

GntlKnigt1
12-17-2014, 08:02 AM
They are from Fellowship Foundry in California http://www.fellowshipfoundry.com/ and I bought them at the Bristol, WI RenFaire about 15 years ago. I have 5 other goblets from them, and bought a heart shaped pair for my son and his wife that got married last June. Great stuff !!

mannye
12-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Beautiful! I want one that's smaug holding the glass in his greedy gold loving mouth.

U g

GntlKnigt1
12-17-2014, 05:20 PM
They stop production when the molds goes bad. Maybe this one?

http://www.fellowshipfoundry.com/perl-bin/catalog.cgi?ITEM=I041

skunkboy
12-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Many of their older designs are now no longer produced, if I'm remembering correctly, but some can still be found on ebay...

mannye
12-21-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm currently on a wood kick. I love the wooden squares used to drink cold sake. I'm currently figuring out a few pint sized mugs made out of the same wood. I am trying to find a local supplier that can get me the hinoki wood they use in Japan.

U g

GntlKnigt1
01-07-2015, 04:58 AM
The medieval room/man cave is done except for getting some end tables and an entertainment center.....

EJM3
01-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Complete with guard cat I see...

That is a freaking awesome place!!! :o

GntlKnigt1
01-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Ah yes. Sybil the guard cat

EJM3
01-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Does she give you a "Sybilant Hiss"??

GntlKnigt1
01-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Sorta, but named after the character of the movie Sybil, that had 29 personalities which changed in a heartbeat. I believe in giving pets appropriate names

EJM3
01-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Yeah we have a cat too. Hanna Anna Clawdia Demanda. She reaches out her claws to tap you with and gives that LOUD MEROW for her pets and treats. One time catching my partner when he was turning around in his chair. Left a 12 inch scar with three of her claws on his back...

Mannye: Any more build, or are we at that stage of parties on??

mannye
01-09-2015, 11:57 PM
There is some more build left. It's mostly cosmetic but while I go through long periods of inactivity, when a job rears its lucrative head, everything takes a backseat. I am very unsatisfied at the "cluttered" look of the unfinished garage door, but can't do anything about it just yet. Also, the Star Wars artifacts are placed in a way that is obscuring all the Doctor stuff making it seem more like the Falcon than the Tardis. This is because my SW stuff is large...like big in size...but really only consumer stuff while a lot of my Doctor stuff is real stuff actually used in the show or made by the same prop guy (Rubber Toe...his stuff IS the stuff) but small. So even though there's more Doctor stuff, it isn't "front and center." I have to do something about that. I also haven't gotten to installing the TARDIS door yet. It's life sized!!! AND... I need to get some of the current Dalek tech that's recently been spotted in the TV TARDIS... (those round concentric circles aren't from Galifrey!!!) So...still lots more build left.

EJM3
01-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Hrm, what happens in that TARDIS stays in the TARDIS was what I was looking for mostly... You know, mead happened, you consumed it there, stayed in the TARDIS, lost a few days, found more mead....... <Duck & Cover!>

kudapucat
01-11-2015, 04:27 AM
My cat is named Cassius. Everybody calls him Muhammad Ali, but he's really named after Caius Cassius Longinus.
It has been a fitting name, for his nature.

mannye
01-11-2015, 02:27 PM
My cat is named Cassius. Everybody calls him Muhammad Ali, but he's really named after Caius Cassius Longinus.
It has been a fitting name, for his nature.

Looked it up.... the leading instigator in the murder of Caesar. Yes. That is a cat.

kudapucat
01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Yet has plausible deniability.
Manipulative bastard.